Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tsnius question about girls in snow pants . . .

Mommy F.

Post Sat, Nov 05 2011, 10:54 pm
For those of you who live in cold climates with lots of snow on the ground . . .

Do your daughters where snow pants during recess?

Do they wear skirts on top of their snow pants? Do the skirts get wet and they they need to bring an extra skirt every day?

Is there a certain age where snow pants aren't tsnius anymore?

What do your girls schools do?

TIA

Post Sat, Nov 05 2011, 11:03 pm
My daughter dots not wear snow pants to school. She will wear boots and heavy tights. The girls do not go out for recess. I put hee in snow pants with a skirt to play in the snow at home. When I take her skiing, I do not put the skirt on her. I live in NY.

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 05 2011, 11:17 pm
DD has a snowsuit which she wears with a skirt over it when she wants to go sledding outside-not during school.

Most kids in school (and teachers too) dont usually want to waste their recess time changing into snow pants, so unless its really bad out (and then they likely stay inside), snow pants are wasted or school.

Mommy F.

Post Sat, Nov 05 2011, 11:38 pm
in Canada we have snow, and lots of it, outside all the time for a good 5 - 6 months of the year.
so all the schools send all the kids outside with knee deep snow on a regular basis.

Maybe there are Montreal or Toronto mothers who can tell me what their girls do?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:52 am
Where I live, everyone is a "weather-weenie". One millimeter of snow on the ground, and all the schools are closed!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:26 am
Would tights with leggings on top work? That's what my girls and I wore on a trip to a below freezing, snowy, icy place where we spent most of our time outdoors. Skirts on top of it all. We found that removing above-the-waist layers was enough, and we could keep all the below-the-waist layers on all day without becoming overheated indoors.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:46 am
Dancer's leg warmers on top of tights?

If they are too long for a child, you can fold them in half, doubling the thickness.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:49 am
Several pairs of wool tights are warm enough for most weather. If you find skirts impractical, though, that's a different question.

lizard8

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 3:14 am
As a kid in a snowy climate, some girls brought snow pants and some didn't. The ones that did were more free to play in the snow and climb the piles The ones with just boots had to be a little more cautious.
This was in the younger grades, and I think I remember people stuffing their skirt into their snowpants.
No one brought extra clothes so either we were cautious or wet!

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 5:01 am
Always stuffed my skirt into my snowpants as a kid at recess. I stopped wearing snowpants sometime around bat mitzvah, I think, and recess was a lot colder and less fun because of the snowdrifts! (Toronto native here...)

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 6:33 am
this snow skirt looks great but it's $160.00!!!!

http://www.toastskirts.com/

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 6:35 am
It looks warm, but it still doesn't look like it would keep you dry if you want to climb in the snowdrifts.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 6:43 am
When I lived in Montreal I know my nieces didn't wear snow pants to school. They did (and do) wear thick tights, good snow boots, a snow jacket, scarf, mittens and hat. Their winter skirts are made from wool and their tops are turtlenecks (maybe a button down sweater too) and they wear long-sleeved undershirts too. (this is the Chassidishe part of Montreal)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 9:48 am
DD's school doesn't let the kids out when it's snowing or raining. There is an indoor playground.

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 5:28 pm
Many companies (Lands End is one) make snow pants with no bib--just insulated waterproof snowpants--that could go on quickly underneath a skirt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children