Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Packing tips

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 1:27 pm
I am starting to pack for my 6 week trip home for pesach..what do u think is best? folded clothes one on the other or lay everything flat down. which saves more space ?

any other tips will be greatly appreciated

was just intrrupted---SZ TOOK 3 STEPS WITHOUT HOLDING B'H FINALLY!!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 1:59 pm
Flat down saves more space. However, unless you know you have a place to UNPACK, it's smarter to pack in logical groups of types of clothes so everything is accessible, even if it wastes space.

BTW, remember that shoes are VERY space-consuming.

chulent

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 3:57 pm
I dont think lieing things flat saves space at all.. with me it ends up taking up more.. but then again im the worst packer in the world

technic

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 7:03 pm
mazal tov on sz!!! Very Happy ...the other packing option is rolling things up tightly, which doesnt work 4 everything but does 4 certain items, altho im 2 tired 2 remember what they r - sorry!

queenie

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 9:54 pm
Have your husband have his shirts dry cleaned with a touch of starch even if he doesn't usually have starch or even have them dry cleaned at all. Then, have the cleaners fold the shirts not hang them. You can pack them straight from the cleaners and they won't crease. It's like buying a brand new shirt and very easy to pack.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 10:15 pm
Do what I did rochel Leah. throw everything in the suitcase and make the maid wash and iron all the cloths when you get there. Wink

queenie

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 10:31 pm
How awful, calling your mother the maid!!!

shock

queenie

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 10:34 pm
Once my husband waited until he had almost no shirts and then finally took them to the dry cleaners. Guess what? The dry cleaner lost them!!
Finally, just moments before we were pulling out of the driveway, about to take a week long vacation to my mother's house, the cleaners pull up to the house with a pile of dirty shirts! They were smiling - "Hey look, we found them!"

So I went to visit my mother and the first thing I did was laundry. I had just enough time to wash and iron a few before shabbat!

Tefila

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 11:30 pm
Quote:
How awful, calling your mother the maid!!!
Queenie I think you misunderstood shayna Rochel she wasn't reffering to her mother shock But a real live maid which In south Africa is quite common!!

Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 6:05 am
Quote:
Rochel Leah wrote:
--SZ TOOK 3 STEPS WITHOUT HOLDING B'H FINALLY!!

Mazzal tov, such a mile stone!!!

good luck with packing (stuff the shoes with little things, like underwear), and I don't know how prices are in SA (lucky you!!), but if cheaper there, then pack minimum, and buy what you need there! that's how I do it when we go to Israel - buying things there with an euro salary is worth while!

hisorerus

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 11:27 am
Heh heh- my feet are always smelly so I can't put anything in my shoes! (except dirty laundry) I also usually have to be careful to pack my shoes separately than my clothes...

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 12:08 pm
Thanks frelich...yeah thats what I meant. Its my husband that is from south africa. And believe me his mother doesn't do laundry. When we went to SA last year we didn't have a washing machine in our apt. and the trip was last minute planned and we never had time to do laundry. so thats why we had to bring it dirty.

The thing was that at my inlaws apt the maid washed the cloths everyday. which I wasn't used to. So I didn't need to bring much cloths since it was washed everyday.

queenie

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 7:38 pm
Frelich

Quote:
Queenie I think you misunderstood shayna Rochel she wasn't reffering to her mother But a real live maid which In south Africa is quite common!!

I think perhaps you misunderstood me. It was a joke. When I wrote that nobody said anything about a maid or even where she was going. Lighten up girl! LOL

As a matter of fact, I never do shirts. It's a waste of my time. Dry cleaners are faster and cheaper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics