Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
9 year old got her period!
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 10:33 pm
Ok she'll be ten in a month, but she's so young! She's only 9! It's a good thing I warned her about it as soon as she started developing, because I never would've thought that she would get it so early! She's going crazy in pain and said she would've liked to wait another 10 years for this to start. I don't blame her. At least one or two years would've been better. When she called me to the bathroom, I just took a deep breathe, and then gave her a big kiss and said "wow, you're really a big girl now. you're a real young lady now. I'm so proud of you!" (I know she didn't do anything to be proud of, but I still said that.) I can't believe this is really happening. Poor girl is in so much pain and said her skirt doesn't fit. I told her it'll go back to fitting in a few days. Wow! I just had to let that out!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to buy her a piece of jewelry just to make it a positive memory as opposed to a bad one. I feel so bad that she's in so much pain! (I gave her motrin and she can't swallow a pill to take anyting else.)

gila-rina

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 10:59 pm
feeling for two of you. Hug I think its a good idea to give her a present.
P.S. A long warm shower might make her feel better.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 11:01 pm
good idea. thanks!

bnm

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 11:46 pm
ask her pediatrician if this is in the normal range.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 11:52 pm
Sorry she's in pain Sad Try to make it positive, somehow.

Nine is young but not unheard of. There was a girl at my school who got her period at nine, and this was 17 years ago. Children are developing earlier every year, it seems.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 12:04 am
the normal age range is starting at 9. usually a girl gets it around the time her mother or grandmother(from the father's side) got it.

Smiling Wife

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:33 am
Also most people who live in warm places get it at a similar age, kudos for getting her a gift Smile

Raizle

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:24 am
amother wrote:
the normal age range is starting at 9. usually a girl gets it around the time her mother or grandmother(from the father's side) got it.

they say about 11 months earlier, although neither is carved in stone obviously.

noosheen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 5:49 am
My daughter gets terrible debillitating cramps & she has a pres for Naprosyn. Its almost like aleve which u can get OTC w no pres. They are also quite small & easy to swallow. She finds almost no releif in motrin. She also takes a hot bath & a heating pad helps too.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:14 am
Raizle wrote:
amother wrote:

they say about 11 months earlier, although neither is carved in stone obviously.

Oy vey! I was 11 and a half.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:31 am
I was 8. It might be a bit young, but she will be ok

shoeboxgirly

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 10:50 am
amother wrote:

me too, I genuinely thought I might be the youngest person ever.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:12 am
shoeboxgirly wrote:
amother wrote:

me too, I genuinely thought I might be the youngest person ever.

Im the amother you quoted
I got mine in the bathroom at hebrew school

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:19 am
OP wow this must be so hard for her and for you.
Give her motrin or there is a special medicine for period pain (midol??) and a hot water bottle (that really helps)
and I think that the idea of giving her a gift is so nice. You are a really special mother.

sarahla

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:25 am
MAZEL TOV!!! Applause Dancing Cheers Go celebrate with her. Take her out to a women to women lunch
Although so so so sorry to hear she's in pain Mad . I also had (and still have) very painfull periods: what helped me was med and warm hot bottles on my tummy. dont make it too hot because it can burn and wrap it around with towel or do eletric blanket on tummy, this will ease the cramping.

Good idea about a piece of Jewerly, see im sepharadic and it is our custom to 1) get jewerly 2) have mom and grandma make home-made donoughts (yum delish and conforting too) 3) I had to call EVERY women of my family to tell the good news (umm this one I would have gladly skipped, I was sooo embarrassed )

it could be those are just my family minhag but it was nice memories. MAybe when she feels better take her out shopping too for something nice.

On another note I was told (by doc) that 1 yr after girl develop breast she will have her period

Hug

amother

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:40 am
Donuts, a Sefardic custom? LOL

I am Sefaradi and periods are kept VERY privat;..

sarahla

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 11:42 am
well my family wasn't frum then soooo that could be it, but like I said it could just me my family minhag...in general though sepharadic people celebrate for just about anything and we're kinda of loud pp but again maybe just my family Very Happy

crystal

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 12:01 pm
Fortunately, you had prepared her before!
I remember when I got mine at 11... My mother didn't tell me anything... And when I got it I thought I'm deathly ill and for sure dying. I didn't wanna worry my mother so I didn't say anything to her. of course she realized later and she told me then. But I was so confused and terrified

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 12:24 pm
Wow! You sound like an amazing Mom!

I remember the excruciating pains....for years I suffered and didn't dream od taking painkillers. After so many years my mother realized that hey, I should really take Motrin!! Finally!

This was a tremendous relief. Try to give her Motrin as soon as it begins. Don't wait for the pain to come.

hatzlacha.

frankie

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 4:48 pm
I get terrible cramps every period, and I find that Midol with Naproxen (there are many different types of Midol, this one has naproxen included) works the best for me, along with a long hot soak in the tub. Tylenol, advil and motrin just don't cut it for the really heavy duty cramps, and neither does plain regular midol.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children