Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
The Bais Yaakov Cookbook
Previous  1  2  3  Next

smile85

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 12:39 am
I got my copy and I'm enjoying it ... anyone else?

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 12:55 am
Me too.

Riffy

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 2:54 am
Ya. I love it. I made the roasted garlic zucchini soup. What did you guys make so far?

mom2be1

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 6:58 am
Ive made the beer battered chicken and the overnight kugel in a crockpot-yum!

chavamom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 10:14 am
I just got it erev shabbos, so not much of a chance to cook from it BUT I did make the "Champagne Salad" and it was delicious.

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:31 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
israel22 wrote:
I work in a seminary and we got information about a year ago asking to submit our recipes, I remember thinking sure I sumbit my recipes so u can make a cookbook and make money then call it by cookbook b/c why?!?!? so it was promptly tossed

If I am not mistaken, Bais Yaakov was targeting all of the alumni to ask to help with this fundraiser for the school by submitting a recipe.

I also got this mailing since two of my DDs are enrolled at BYHSC. Of course, I was very shocked to learn that the school is apparently co-ed!

tikva18

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:51 am
Fox wrote:
Shopmiami49 wrote:
israel22 wrote:
I work in a seminary and we got information about a year ago asking to submit our recipes, I remember thinking sure I sumbit my recipes so u can make a cookbook and make money then call it by cookbook b/c why?!?!? so it was promptly tossed

If I am not mistaken, Bais Yaakov was targeting all of the alumni to ask to help with this fundraiser for the school by submitting a recipe.

I also got this mailing since two of my DDs are enrolled at BYHSC. Of course, I was very shocked to learn that the school is apparently co-ed!

lol

goodgirl

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 8:29 pm
[quote

Also it says all proceeds to Tzedaka.[/quote]

Think I'd be able to use maaser money for this since it all goes to Tzedaka? Should be no different than using maaser money at a chinese auction that offers rewards or incentives, right?

September June

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 9:09 pm
No AFAIK you cannot use maaser money to buy the cookbook. The proceeds from the sale of the cookbook do NOT only go to the school but also to the bookstore, publisher, graphic designer, printer etc. I learned that you can use maaser money for a chinese auction but if you win you have to pay maaser back.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 9:24 pm
sarahd wrote:
I want to know if there are pictures of women, or is it only pictures of men, boys and matzeivos?

I don't know if you were being cynical or really asking but I'll assume you were asking. There are lots of pictures of women in the history part including Sarah Schenirer, Judith Grunfeld and their students.
I got the cookbook as a gift and I love it. The recipes are great with nice pictures and there's a lot of extra info in it, history, kitchen halachos and a guide to checking vegetables. I also read cookbooks like novels and I loved reading this one.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 12:38 am
I got it free with my mishpacha subscription. it looks GREAT. basics, and a little more. best of all- in the back, like every halacha youll ever need to know for kitchens, shabbos, and checking for bugs. there are GORGEOUS pix of most of the recipes. fantastic job. I want to make everything, and I am a major foodie, who gets bon appetite magazine, fine cooking, etc

Tila

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:32 pm
I live in Canada and collect community/school cookbooks. My friend just got this book! Some of the recipes are too patchke, but most look worth trying. I recently borrowed Spice It up (Beena mag) cookbook, as well, I found 10 recipes I want to try. Waiting for the pesach cookbook from the Yehiva in Michigan...

Tila

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:36 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I got it free with my mishpacha subscription. it looks GREAT. basics, and a little more. best of all- in the back, like every halacha youll ever need to know for kitchens, shabbos, and checking for bugs. there are GORGEOUS pix of most of the recipes. fantastic job. I want to make everything, and I am a major foodie, who gets bon appetite magazine, fine cooking, etc

Is this offer still up?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:56 pm
I just finally finished going through my copy. It is very nice, but I find there is an awful lot of pastry dough used for my liking.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:58 pm
Tila wrote:
cookiewriter wrote:

Is this offer still up?

Yes.

jewels

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 8:06 pm
chavamom wrote:
I just got it erev shabbos, so not much of a chance to cook from it BUT I did make the "Champagne Salad" and it was delicious.

My very close friend was in charge of choosing recipes and this Champagne salad is hers! I've eaten it at her house many times and I agree it's delicious! Very Happy I may be biased but it's a great cookbook and so far everything I've made has come out great.

yyyyy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 11:37 pm
Really enjoying this cookbook , made quite a few recipes most came out great

aro

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 11:39 am
Do you need to use champagne or will white wine suffice?

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 1:49 pm
I just hosted a Sheva Brachos with a friend and most of the recipes came from this cookbook.

For the appetizer we had the Champagne Salad (that dressing is YUM!) and also the salmon cubes (prepared in 3 different ways-forgot what it's called). Also, she got the chicken recipe from there as well as one of the side dishes.

Everything was delicious and looked gorgeous.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:06 am
its great

btw, for those who live in israel, most of the recipes can be made with ingredients one can acquire here :-)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics