Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
PSA re:oatmeal (yes, I know what the calender says but)

grin

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 5:06 am
I noticed this post while looking for a use for my breadcrumbs:
solo wrote:
SV wrote:
OK, I found two more things in my closet - a big package of saltines and half a container of instant Quaker oatmeal (the kind that you only need to cook for 1 minute). Anything I can do with these besides the obvious?

plain oatmeal is not chometz.
if its just quick oats - crushed oats and nothing elses its not chometz either.
read the ingredients.
I have half a box of old fashioned oats in my cabinet as well.
I dont care if it gets eaten before pesach.

if it does hafta be eaten b4 pesach why not make oatmeal.
healthy delicious.
or a bit less healthy but still delicious,
oatmeal cookies.
correction - flour and oatmeal are both chometz gamur because in our modern world, grains are washed and dried before being ground into flour or crushed.

(now, where is that kishke recipe that I found?)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 10:10 am
Not everyone holds the same way in regards to what constitutes chometz gamur. Smile

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 10:18 am
Even if old-fashioned oats were a question, quick oats are unquestionably chametz gamur as they are pre-steamed, IOW partially cooked. Instant oats are completely pre-cooked. Old-fashioned oats may also be pre-steamed, but to a lesser extent than the quick-cooking variety.

miami85

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:45 pm
I knew what you're mentioning, but I read in the Star-K booklet last year that flour is not considered chamutz gammur--I was under the impression that it was.

jeweled

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:52 pm
miami85 wrote:
I knew what you're mentioning, but I read in the Star-K booklet last year that flour is not considered chamutz gammur--I was under the impression that it was.

Matza is made with flour, maybe its specially watched?

September June

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:54 pm
jeweled wrote:
miami85 wrote:

Matza is made with flour, maybe its specially watched?

The flour for shmura matza is specially watched.

miami85

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:18 am
I had always heard that regular flour is washed and therefore it is Chametz gamur, so I was trying to use it up. Then I saw the Star-K booklet and in its section about "what is chametz gamur/not" it simply said "flour" in the "not chametz" list, Don't remember the exact list, and don't have the book anymore, but I was shocked to see that. It didn't say "unwashed" or "unbleached"--by other products--I dont' remember, but it did say "chametz" but not the flour or oats. Not paskening for anyone, but Star-K is pretty reliable. Basically it had "processed flour products" I.e. pasta, breadcrumbs as chametz, not the pure flour.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 10:42 am
There is "chametz" and there is "chametz gamur".
I would never use store bought flour to make matza even non-shmura for Pesach, but since we hold it's not chometz gamur, we do not get rid of it before Pesach like we do with chometz gamur, since our hakpada is not to sell chometz gamur.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics