Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
All kids same style name?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 4:42 pm
Do all your kids have the same "Style" name? Like all modern? All tanachi? All relative names? All yiddish? Etc?

Do they all have the same amount of names?

Do you ever feel weird about it if your kids have different "style" names? Or pressure to keep on giving the same style name?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 5:18 pm
I guess answers vary by circles.

In my world people often do:

Modern name + 1 or 2 family names in any language they happen to be, yiddish ladino judeo arabic...
2 or 3 family names
Rabbi name + 1 or 2 family names

Kids tend to have 2 to 5 legal names, including or not Jewish.
Jewish names they tend to have 1 to 3, smtms 4. 5+ is a rarity but seen.

Basically nothing here is weird Wink

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:53 am
I think all my kids names go together. They are all Tanachi. We didn't plan it like that, but each time the name was right for him / her. Actually all of them have their name in Shabbot Benching except Rivka who at one point was feeling very left out until we explained that she was "represented" by Yitzchock.

The girls each have 1 name, Avraham Tzvi we use both names. I don't think it's strange at all.

tikva18

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:54 am
My boys are named for rabbeim. My twins have 3 names each, but my singles have only 2 names each.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 1:25 am
People make Duggar jokes at me... my kids are Shlomo, Shimshon, Shalva... all 'Shin' names.

They're all named after my relatives (more or less... a couple of the names were changed a little)

We are naming all our children after my family because DH has lots of siblings with kids, so they're 'covered' the requisite family names on their side.

And everyone has one name, (and no English name)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 8:09 am
I have a friend with ee sounding names at the end. chanie, mendy, etc. I hate it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 8:33 am
All my kids have a first and middle name. None have an "English" name.

There's a family who have 4 kids - Netanel, Uriel, Shirel and Liel.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:09 am
I have a SIL in which all the children's names in the family (five siblings) have 5 letters and start and end in A (think - Adina, Aviva, etc.). The middle letter is I for all of them except the youngest (Atara). The "theme" was on purpose - they gave first names that they liked. All of them have second names which are named for people.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:16 am
I know some hippyish israelis and all the kids have nature names - keshet, shachar, etc.

My kids all have very chabad Rebbe/Rebbetzin names but in actual fact some of them are named after non chabad family members, who just happened to have typical chabad names.

some of my kids have one name, some 2 or 3.

jelly belly

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:17 am
Our theme is naming for a relative we love/admire/feel a strong connection to. We give one Jewish name, Hebrew or biblical only, and one secular name that we like. Sometimes we use nicknames, sometimes not.

zigi

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:50 am
my kids have tanachi names with a chanina and bracha,in the mix

everyone has 2 names

some of the kids were named after relatives

baba

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 10:48 am
The first name is a name we like and the second name is named after a family member.
All the first names are relatively short (2 syllables) and are Hebrew.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 7:34 pm
For some reason we keep going for hardcore Israeli names, even though we're not Israeli and have no family there.....
We just love 'em!

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 1:28 am
I think most people give their kids names in a similar style because this reflects the parent's taste and society. People who are comfortable with naming a kid "zundel feivel srulik" are probably not going to like "Lior Gilad", and even if they do, if they live in an area where "zundel feivel" is normal, chances are "Lior Gilad" won't be. Even those who name kids for relatives will usually find a way to adapt the name to their style if the relative's name is glaringly different, often by using a name that means the same thing or something related in another language, e.g. Tsvi or Eyal for a Hirsh, or Atarah for a Kreindel.

If your philosophy is that secular names are not a jewish thing, then why would you give one of your kids a secular name? and the reverse, if you feel secular names are a necessity, why would you give them to only some of your kids? (Names like sarah, rachel, david and michael, that are spelled the same whether you pronounce them SAHrah or SAIRuh, dahVEED or DAYvid, don't count. )

CM, I'm with you re: names ending in EE sounds, but aren't those usually nicknames? Are people naming their kids Mendy and Chani, or Mendel and Chana, but nicknaming them Mendy and Chani? Whatever, I agree it sounds ridiculous when it's a whole family. when people introduce their kids "Mendy, Chani, Zeesie, Shimmy, Sruli, Hoody, Ruchie, Roovie and Fred" I always feel like adding "and Dopey and Doc".

It's just too precious (read: nauseating) when people "design" the family names--the Kardashians and the Duggars come to mind. The Aviva-Adina-Aliza-Ashira-Atara thing, too. Sorry, Tova. It just makes them look as if they're trying too hard. It gives the impression, not that the parents chose a name to suit the child, but that they had the child because there was a vacancy in their list of names.

Rodent

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 3:21 am
I have no idea if our kids' names match but I do agree with zaq that most families will have somewhat of a similar style because that's the sort of name they like.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 4:56 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I have a friend with ee sounding names at the end. chanie, mendy, etc. I hate it.

They were officially named Chana, Mendel, Sarah, but they are nicknamed with an "ee" sounding. In Europe it used to be with a "le" ending; Chanale, Mendele, Sarahle, Dovid'l, Shloimele. The "ee" is Americanized.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 5:04 am
zaq wrote:
It's just too precious (read: nauseating) when people "design" the family names--the Kardashians and the Duggars come to mind. The Aviva-Adina-Aliza-Ashira-Atara thing, too. Sorry, Tova. It just makes them look as if they're trying too hard. It gives the impression, not that the parents chose a name to suit the child, but that they had the child because there was a vacancy in their list of names.

How do you know when the baby is born what characteristic s/he has? I, for one, believe that the name makes the person and I proved it. If a child is named "completely" after a grandparent you knew (no additions, no subtractions), you'd very likely see similar qualities in the child. That's why chassidim or chareidim in general name after a Rebbe, Rebbetzin or ancestor they knew and liked.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:22 am
chocolate moose wrote:

well that's because they are kids, isn't it? because kids have pet names that sometimes end with -ee. Or they could all be Chanale, Mandele etc..

amother

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:25 am
We always call our girls (Mia and Noa) Mia-leh and Noa-leh, just because they're like little pet names and we love them. We even have their non-Jewish daycare workers calling them that, it's hilarious!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:26 am
I have a Tzipporah who we all call Tzippy. A Sara we all call Suri; a Netanel we usually call Nati and an Elchanan we often call Eli....

All nicknames with 'ee' sounds. I AM more likely to call the boys by their proper name than I am my daughters even though the girls are significantly older.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names