Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Moriah

3girlies

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 4:12 am
What do you feel about the name Moriah? Has anyone ever named or heard of anyone named Moriah in any frum circles???

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 4:25 am
It's very popular among DL and chardal in Israel - I don't think I ever met anyone not frum called Moriah. But Ashkenazi chareidim don't use it in Israel.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 4:37 am
Hey that's my name, and I'm frum! (and so are my parents who named me Smile )
There are many frum Moriahs in Israel, but almost none in America that I know of, I was definitely the only one in Bais Yaakov when I was growing up, actually I was always the only one in my entire school with my name, throughout elementary school, high school, seminary, college...even graduate school. I was always happy with my name though.
I have heard of a few people naming their kids Moriah now in America (like one or two)- so it may become a more popular name..
Quite often when someone asks me my name (in America), I get a response like wow thats so unusual, such a nice name, like a lot of people still haven't it heard used as a name...

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 5:38 am
and when I said that there are not many frum Moriahs in America- I meant not many Moriahs at all. I have also never met a non-frum Moriah

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 6:06 am
I happened to love the name. I also love the song.

I know there is no connection, but the song is beautiful, and the name is gorgeous and musical on its own!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 6:40 am
this made me laugh... we had a baby 7 days ago and her second name is Moriah (modern chasiddim in america)

Anon because its an unusual name Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 7:04 am
I know a modern yeshivish/litvish rabbi who named his dd Moria.
I know of non Jews who did, for Lord of the rings.

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 12:56 pm
I have a DL cousin in Israel named Moriah, and my sister had a seminary classmate. I think it's a beautiful name!

3girlies

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 3:37 pm
Thank you very much for all your insight and opinions! It is really helping my and my husband decide what to do.
Being pregnant is challenging enough, and beautiful all at once, and once I confirm a name, I will feel much more accomplished!!!

simchat

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 3:41 pm
I knew a lady called Moriah. She was a friend of my mother`s, but we always thought her name was MARIA because that`s how we pronounced it. She`s Israeli. I also had an Israeli (living in Canada) colleague and she has a daughter called Moriah. I think it`s a beautiful name, but only when pronounced correctly.

simchat

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 3:43 pm
P.s both are frum, though I`m not sure if my mum`s friend was BT or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names