Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for Brocha
Previous  1  2  3  Next

crystal

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 5:37 pm
Brooke. Its the closest and classiest imo

Sherri

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 8:48 pm
Well, besides for Shalhevet's idea of "Blessing", I like Brooke best.

ROFL

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 8:51 pm
I know a young girl who's name is bracha. And Brooke. Enjoy your new name.

rovacat

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:28 am
we always joked that bertha is the english version, but I can understand if you don't like that name.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:55 am
I like Bella and I LOVE Brooke...your making me think of giving my daughter an English name! (Her name is Brocha)

abound

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 5:39 am
I am Barbara, and I feel like people must think I am really old when talking to me over the phone. It is not in style at all.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:49 am
syeft wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:
The Italian or Latin version is Beatrice. Bea is the nickname. Beata or beato literally means blessing in Latin.

Beatrice has Christian origins. The Italian (Jewish) version is Benedetta

That.
Though I have seen Jewish Beatrices on Italian ketubos... but it has Xtian connotatons, beatitude, beatification etc.

Poster above, you can use Bella as Jewish name for another dd if you do Sefardic (bet yud lamed heh) or Italki (bet yud lamed alef) names.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:54 am
brenda

wwmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:59 am
Another vote for Brooke here. Let us know what you choose please!

CatLady

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 11:13 am
Brooke's my first choice. It's so close to Brocha that it just seems "logical".

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:16 pm
OP here: I love brooke- but- someone mentioned to me that its sorta like a flirty/ hollywood typa name ( brooke Shields) and very non jewish sounding. not really the impression I wanna go for. any thoughts?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
OP here: I love brooke- but- someone mentioned to me that its sorta like a flirty/ hollywood typa name ( brooke Shields) and very non jewish sounding. not really the impression I wanna go for. any thoughts?

I also have that same gut reaction to the name (brooke burke came to mind - although I think she's actually jewish!)

but I don't particularly care for any of the other b names mentioned- they all sounded dowdy and old fashioned to me - with the exception of bella.

spring13

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:

it's not such an unusual name, and while it's pretty "non-Jewish sounding", isn't that kind of what you're going for? something that isn't obviously Jewish/foreign? if you like it and it feels like a good fit, try it out a bit. if you're uncomfortable in the end, then maybe something like Becca or Bella would be more "neutral."

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:

how old are you may I ask? I would say, if you are going for the B thing, the best out of all these suggestions is Betty. I really like that name, however, these kinds of names like Betty though very old fashioned are actually believe it or not coming back into fashion a lot and are used now on really young girls! My great grandma was called Millie (such an old fashioned name! - but cute imo), and now so many young girls are called Millie again! But did you know Betty comes from "Elizabeth" and so does Beth, and I really like the name Elizabeth - it's so pretty and so elegant, and suits absolutely any age woman:)

but if you are willing to consider other names beginning other that beginning with B there are many elegant names such as Isabelle, Grace, Eleanor (or Ellie), Anna, Susanna, Louise or Lois, and many more. all these names would be ok whatever your age

but make sure you are called your Hebrew name as much as possible because that is very important, it contains your very personal spiritual energy and the more you are called it the better it is for you

marshmellow

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 1:44 pm
how about Rebecca? It is very beautiful, and an obviously Jewish name, nowadays many people have this name.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 2:56 pm
this is the poster whos name is Brooke (Bracha in Hebrew). I had to chuckle at the poster who said that Brooke reminds her of Brooke Shields. Thats actually who I was named after! She happens to be a very strong woman.
I also had to laugh at the suggestions of Elizabeth... thats my middle name! My mother named me after Brooke Shields and Elizabeth Taylor.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
this is the poster whos name is Brooke (Bracha in Hebrew). I had to chuckle at the poster who said that Brooke reminds her of Brooke Shields. Thats actually who I was named after! She happens to be a very strong woman.
I also had to laugh at the suggestions of Elizabeth... thats my middle name! My mother named me after Brooke Shields and Elizabeth Taylor.
lol Smile

Shuly

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 6:13 pm
I vote for Brooke or Brenda.

I had a friend Bracha who we used to call Broccoli!

observer

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:44 pm
I actually like Bee- It's still your name because it's your initial

red sea

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:49 pm
I think Grace is a good translation name for Bracha.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names