Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How did you educate yourself about purchasing a home?

newmommy1

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 10:58 pm
DH and I are thinking about looking into buying a home but we are completely clueless. How did others who were in a similar situation educate themselves about everything there is to know? Any good books, websites or webinars that anyone can recommend? Or is there a very kind expert imamother who is willing to answer all my questions Smile?
We live in the US so we need info that's relevant to the US market.

ElTam

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:09 pm
I found The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buying and Selling a Home to be very thorough and clear. Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:37 am
your broker and lawyer will help you, too.

Grandmama

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 8:37 am
I read everything there was to read out there about money. Today it is so much easier, just google all your questions!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 8:44 am
You are so smart to get educated! We naively trusted a family member who was our mortgage broker without fully understanding what he was saying, when we bought our first house, and definitely would have made other decisions had we known what we know now!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 8:48 am
We were young. Relied on my parents' guidance. Big mistake. Ended up in a money pit. I would strongly recommend, that aside from figuring out the finances of a mortgage and what you can realistically afford, etc. that you also get yourself THE BEST inspector that money can buy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics