Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Urgently seeking good seminary in Europe
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:25 pm
We are urgently looking for a good seminary for our (nearly) 17yr old daughter, who has gone through a bit of a weak curve (ruchniyos wise) and is now interested in becoming stronger.
Someone mentioned a school for girls like this in France - does anyone have any info on sems there?

Alternatively - any good high schools / seminaries who will consider accepting a wonderfully talented / intelligent girl with a bit of a history, but a genuine desire to grow, anywhere in Europe - or even USA - might be relevant.

ANY INFO/LEADS WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED - TIA!!

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:27 pm
what language does she speak?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:30 pm
What hashkafa? Chabad? BY? Beth Miriam? Litvish? Or more modern?
Sem or school with dorm?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:51 pm
We are quite desperate - so we would like to hear about any option that is out there, however to begin with we are Litvish (not closed) and our daughter speaks Hebrew & English. She is quick on the uptake with new languages though!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
We are quite desperate - so we would like to hear about any option that is out there, however to begin with we are Litvish (not closed) and our daughter speaks Hebrew & English. She is quick on the uptake with new languages though!

I'd recommend the New Gateshead sem. I've heard amazing things about it, from all different types of girls. Rabbi Katz is the principal, and the sem is way more open-minded than a classic BY.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 3:49 pm
Not sure if this is at all what you are looking for, but there is a Chabad seminary in Milan, Italy.

Are you considering Israel also? From what you've described, perhaps Machon Alta in Tzfas?

Della

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 3:52 pm
You didn't mention Israel, but there's a great sem known to help girls like this. Rabbi Bulman, Chachmas Lev. Hatzlacha!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 4:28 pm
Investigate them as I don't have personal experience:

BY Tomer Débora in Aix les Bains, a friend suggested this
BY Emeth le Yakov (high school) in Joinville, I don't know if they can have dorm. Not sure how opened they are.
Beth Miriam (hs) in Armentières, same. Very warm kehila but maybe too sheltered? Girls have a nice level of English, a lot of Hebrew spoken.
BY sem in Marseilles, more modern than the ones above.

Beth Rivka (Chabad) in Yerres could be a good fit for a girl with a bit of history. Not only for Chabad. A nice number of anglophones.
Beth Channa (Chabad) in Paris, a hs with a graduating and a non graduating track. Not only for Chabad.

If you don't mind very OOT, a small setting and more freedom, Beth Halimoud in Grenoble. In any case they can advise you sems. They are Orthodox, maybe light yeshivish, very traditional. Contact them, Dr and Mrs Oualid. My friend is an ex student and warmly recommends it. Call 04 76 49 60 63 and ask to speak directly to them.
http://www.bethalimoud.com/index.php

Are you interested in post high school places that aren't really a sem, teach a degree but also kodesh to a great level?

How modern can it be?

Last edited by Ruchel on Mon, Dec 12 2011, 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 4:32 pm
Monsey Mom wrote:
You didn't mention Israel, but there's a great sem known to help girls like this. Rabbi Bulman, Chachmas Lev. Hatzlacha!!

chochmas lev is closing next year.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 4:49 pm
I second the opinion for new gateshead.
Speak to R'Katz, he is the head, it is a reallly great seminary and all the girls that go there are happy.

oups

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 4:54 pm
hello ! (sorry for my english...im french !)
-TOMER DEBORAH in aix les bains. they've got 2 sections. one where is only kodesh,its on 2years (only few girls there.)and the other one is on 3 years ,you learn kodesh and 'hol ...normal school programme .

-then you've got a small sem in Lyon called THORATH EMETH. only kodesh (with possibility of learning something aside) it's on 2 years! .teacher come from everywhere ,only the best teacher :from holland ,paris,marseille,aix les bains,lyon .

if you want more details or information from other sem let me know!
happy to help.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I'd recommend the New Gateshead sem. I've heard amazing things about it, from all different types of girls. Rabbi Katz is the principal, and the sem is way more open-minded than a classic BY.

I highly recommend the new gateshead seminary. The girls are nice, open minded girls, some with pasts...all wanting to grow and become better. The Rabbanim who teach there are absolutely superb, they are caring, devoted and give amazing lectures. There is a dorm with Aim bayits. The girls that come there are from all over the world, the main groups are England, France and Israel. There are also girls from America and other countries. It is an english speaking seminary, but many girls come there with not such a great english and when they come out after 2 yrs (its a 2 yr program) they speak a much better english.

I am from New York and I went there about 3 yrs ago. My first cousin is currently there and is really enjoying it. The office phone # is 44-191-477-6450. The principal is Rabbi Katz (wrote the books "our amazing world", "designers world" and "our wondrous world" under the pen name Tuvia Cohen.)
He is an amazing man and a really good principal and teacher.

If u have any questions, let me know.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:15 am
oups wrote:
-TOMER DEBORAH in aix les bains. they've got 2 sections. one where is only kodesh,its on 2years (only few girls there.)and the other one is on 3 years ,you learn kodesh and 'hol ...normal school programme .

-then you've got a small sem in Lyon called THORATH EMETH. only kodesh (with possibility of learning something aside) it's on 2 years! .teacher come from everywhere ,only the best teacher :from holland ,paris,marseille,aix les bains,lyon .

happy to help.

OP Here.
First of all - thanks to all the responders!
re the above quote from Oups - yes, please - I would appreciate any practical contact information you can give me.

Re the new Gateshead, we also heard very good things about the place but we also heard that they have become quite "strict" in certain things (ie. cellphones?) and since my daughter is still pretty fresh out of a far more relaxed kind of dorm/school she is anxious that she might feel too stifled. She cannot really take a strict disciplinary approach - she responds far better to mature, eye to eye, warm and caring discussion.

Any advice on this?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:26 am
OP here again -
By the way, Ruchel, your list was also a great help.

Would you happen to know any contact details for the sem in Marseilles?
Also how "modern" is more modern?

As to post high school - she is just turning 17, and I don't think she is ready yet for a proper post highschool program. But I would still be happy to hear more details. Thanks.

Depressed

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:02 am
Why isnt anyway mentioning Manchester. Any girl I met from there was head and shoulders intellectually, and middos-wise then most other Sems

Isramom8

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:16 am
Ofakim in EY

smilethere

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 5:06 am
Depressed wrote:
Why isnt anyway mentioning Manchester. Any girl I met from there was head and shoulders intellectually, and middos-wise then most other Sems

Because they are stricter than what op is looking for.

intrigued

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 6:58 am
smilethere wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Because they are stricter than what op is looking for.

And way too closed-minded for her daughter.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 7:58 am
amother wrote:
OP here again -
By the way, Ruchel, your list was also a great help.

Would you happen to know any contact details for the sem in Marseilles?
Also how "modern" is more modern?

As to post high school - she is just turning 17, and I don't think she is ready yet for a proper post highschool program. But I would still be happy to hear more details. Thanks.

I can try to find the contact of the Marseille sem!
More modern, as in light yeshivish, not all girls wear tights, but the extent of how modern I would have to ask around.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
oups wrote:

happy to help.

OP Here.
First of all - thanks to all the responders!
re the above quote from Oups - yes, please - I would appreciate any practical contact information you can give me.

Re the new Gateshead, we also heard very good things about the place but we also heard that they have become quite "strict" in certain things (ie. cellphones?) and since my daughter is still pretty fresh out of a far more relaxed kind of dorm/school she is anxious that she might feel too stifled. She cannot really take a strict disciplinary approach - she responds far better to mature, eye to eye, warm and caring discussion.

Any advice on this?

On the New Gateshead sem, its possible that they may have become a bit more strict, I can find out for u since as I said, I have a cousin there this year. As far as the no cellphones rule, I dont think its crazy at all, gateshead is a small town, not a big city or country like israel. There is hardly any need for a cellphone while u are there. I am talking from personal experience, I found that the last day of the term when everyone got their cellphones back, u could not talk to anyone because they were busy yapping on the phone. Ask anyone who went there if this rule bothered them and majority will tell u that it was really not an issue. I dont know how modern ur daughter is Op, but the girls there are all types and they are very accepting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics