Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gluten-Free in Mercaz/Yerushalayim

jelibean

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 5:19 am
B"H we're moving back to E"Y next month; while I've lived there before, I've never been gluten-free there. We'll be equidistant from TA and Yerushalayim, and so any and all advice on shops, etc. will be much appreciated. I will be bringing some favorite GF pastas, oat challah rolls, GF flours, and xanthan gum with me until I figure out what I can get.

ally

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 5:27 am
I have a friend who is trying to start a business making gluten free products (breads, cakes etc...) from home. She's a big foodie and her stuff is great.
If you are interested, pm me and I'll pass on her number

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 5:39 am
How much are gluten free noodles there? Because other than the bland rice noodles, gluten free noodles are VERY expensive here...

I buy xanthan gum from the health food store in yerushalayim, and gluten free soy sauce from a store near me. I can tell you where to buy millet flour in bulk for cheap, but you have to buy 25 kilos at a time.
You can't get gf oats here as far as I know...
I've never once seen sorghum here.

jelibean

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 5:45 am
Seraph wrote:
How much are gluten free noodles there? Because other than the bland rice noodles, gluten free noodles are VERY expensive here...

I buy xanthan gum from the health food store in yerushalayim, and gluten free soy sauce from a store near me. I can tell you where to buy millet flour in bulk for cheap, but you have to buy 25 kilos at a time.
You can't get gf oats here as far as I know...
I've never once seen sorghum here.

Good to know. I love Tinkyada brown rice noodles (Canadian). I have seen them in Raanana, yet they are expensive. So I'm stocking up for a few months. There's also a delicious corn/quinoa pasta I'm bringing along too.

I have some GF oat flour and brown rice flour to bring with me, though I haven't baked with either yet. There's an oat challah recipe I want to try out but it does call for BR flour, sorghum, potato flour too -- things I' not sure I can get there. Any recommended recipes so I can do motzi on Shabbat would be great. Millet flour? Cool. Have you used it?

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 6:08 am
You can get brown rice flour, potato flour, tapioca starch, and cornstarch here. You can get corn meal and corn flour (not sure if its masa harina or not) and teff flour.

Haven't really seen quinoa flour or sorghum flour.

Freidasima says she gets buckwheat flour but I have never seen it sold- I wonder where she buys it.

Seraph

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 6:13 am
I like millet flour a lot.

This is a bulk source where you can buy some gf stuff.

Millet flour-
http://www.poliva.co.il/store-......html

Tapioca starch- http://www.poliva.co.il/store-......html

Corn starch- http://www.poliva.co.il/store-......html

Potato starch- http://www.poliva.co.il/store-......html

Soy flour- http://www.poliva.co.il/store-......html (I wouldn't use this, but I know some gf people do.)

YaelB

Post Wed, Dec 21 2011, 5:10 pm
Hi!

If you eat rabbanut, Black and Burger Bar in Jerusalem there are Gluten-Free Buns.

The Mr. Zol in Beit HaKerem has a huge section of gf stuff, as does Zmora health food store on Rehov Asa (across from the RamBaN shul-R. Benny Lau's shul) and there is also a zmora on yad haRutzim.

You cannot get (as far as I know) quinoa noodles in Israel, which are amazing. You can get rice noodles and corn pasta, even at most regular stores, however they don't compare to the quinoa noodles.

There is also a place by the shuk where you can get gf-stuff.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:27 am
www.glutenfree.co.il

Yes, there's an English button on the site. I have no idea how the prices compare, but it's all kosher and they ship to your door (or at least your post office...)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 6:31 am
I just saw an ad for gluten free home made baked goods.. its but its worth a try- the contact number is 050-403-2641.

it said its eidat hachradit and some other hecsher.. I can go back to look at the ad if you want more info

good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions