Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Anyone know of a girls name for a baby born in shevat?

infj

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:04 pm
There's no big yom tov then so maybe something to do with Tu B'Shvat or maybe some biblical person was born or died then? Any suggestions?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:10 pm
Ilana.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:13 pm
My first thought was Rimona - but I wouldn't really recommend it - too unusual. Although Tamar could work!

Check out the parshiyos - if it's Shabbos Shira, you could use Shira, Yael, Devorah (the haftara).

And in general, with those parshiyos, you could go with Yocheved, Miriam, Shifra, Tzippora, Batya...........

crackers

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:15 pm
my neighbors name is - shkadiya.
I love it , but it is a little different.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:17 pm
I've also heard Shaked. (Shah-ked - not the incorrect past tense of 'shake'!) I would only use those if you live in Israel and are integrated into modern (not chareidi) Israeli society.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:21 pm
Gefen, Shoshana...

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:23 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Ilana.

If you live in EY this is very old-fashioned.

Adding Elisheva to Ima'le's list connected with the parshiyos.

checkbefore

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:51 pm
Ha, the first name I thought of was Rimona too! Of course you can use Devosha too....

grace413

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:54 pm
Ilanit, Alona, Orna - these are tree names. Maybe old-fashioned but I know a 6 year old Ilana.

Gefen is very popular now but I don't care for it.

geemum

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 1:18 am
Tamar
One of the shivas haminim and also the wife of someone (Yehuda or Dovid Hamelech, I get it mixed up, maybe someone else can confirm?)

sarahd

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 1:54 am
Tamar was the step daughter of Dovid HaMelech. An earlier Tamar was the daughter in law of Yehuda.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 4:25 am
I say Tamar. I love that name.

baba

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 5:21 am
Hadas
Dalia

morah

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 5:36 am
Aviva- Tu b'Shvat is considered the beginning of the end of winter. Depending on how interesting (as opposed to classic) you want to be- Alona, Ophira, Rimona, Rakefet.

freidasima

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 5:39 am
shevi? (short for shvat...)

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 7:31 am
Hadassa (Myrtle)

Neta (plant)

Nitzan (bud)

Tziporah for Shabbos Shira, or Tzippy for short. But it always makes me think of a friend of mine who's English teacher couldn't pronounce her name and actually called her "Tipsy".

I knew a girl named "Carmela" (Vineyard) she is the daughter of a well known Rov.

If you're connected in any way to the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Yud Shvat was the day he assumed the leadership one year to the day that his father in law the previous Rebbe became Rebbe. So any name connected with Chabad that is meaningful to you (if at all) would certainly be appropriate. (Bina for example of you're not a fan of the ubiquitous "Mushky" Smile) Along these lines Chof Beis Shvat is the yarzeit of the Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka.

Tu Bishvat is also very connected with water, so Ma'ayan, or Maya perhaps.

In any case, b'sha'ah tovah!

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 7:32 am
Excuse me, exactly one year to the day that his father in law, the previous Rebbe, was nistalek. My bad! (I'm tired!!!)

infj

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 7:44 am
Thanks! I didn't realize there were so many options. Though the Parsha idea is a good one, though I'll have to wait till the baby is born to decide that.

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 9:06 am
Since when is Ilana old fashioned? I am starting to feel old, when I was growing up all the Ilana's were little kids, you never met an old Ilana. Confused

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 9:52 am
seeker wrote:
Since when is Ilana old fashioned? I am starting to feel old, when I was growing up all the Ilana's were little kids, you never met an old Ilana. Confused

In Israel it's really old-fashioned. I doubt there's an Israeli-born Ilana under 50.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names