Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Simpler than flylady?
1  2  Next

poemmom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 11:34 am
I like the idea of Flylady, but those zillion emails (and the busy busy site) are overwhelming. Is there a more streamlined way to use it, or a simpler system out there?
(Something where you don't have to spend all day cleaning!)

supermama2

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 11:44 am
Get the daily digest. You get only one or two emails a day.

little_mage

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 3:47 pm
get her book. it's much less overwhelming then the website.

lamplighter

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 4:48 pm
I have the book and it's perfect. It has the whole system organized, clear and in short form.
If you're not the type to need support then it's exactly what you're looking for. You can buy it pretty cheap on Amazon.

hcw

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 5:15 pm
There's another Yahoo group called "Jewish Flybaby" along the same idea, fewer emails.

manyhats

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 5:19 pm
Please explain. What is Fly/lady/Baby

Sherri

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 5:22 pm
I found the Jewish group to be just as overwhelming. Buy the book!!

Pinkerella

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 6:07 pm
manyhats wrote:
Please explain. What is Fly/lady/Baby

It a systematic way to de-clutter and clean your house. The original book is called "Sink Reflections". The website is flylady.net. You can probably get the book from the library. I think the website is overwhelming unless you read the book. Some ideas from the book: spend 15 min a day de-cluttering an areas. Do a 27 fling-boogie where you go around and throw out 27 things. Do a general light cleaning once a week. Divide the house into zones and focus on one zone a week for a more through cleaning.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 6:52 pm
You can also call into the Hakol Bseder hotline each day, to hear what your 15 minute chore of the day is.

poemmom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 9:02 pm
Thanks!--some follow up questions:

-What book, you mean "sink reflections" or is it a dif. one?

-What is hakol beseder hotline?

-does the Jewish group have all the chores plus the Jewish ones, or just the Jewish ones and you need the regular group too?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 9:10 pm
I tried Hakol Bseder once.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....hakol

manyhats

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 9:19 pm
Very Happy I don't have time to get organized!

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 9:20 pm
I have her book, you can borrow it if you want (I am pretty sure it has been unpacked since the move). I do like the book more than the website / e-mails.

poemmom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 2:17 am
manyhats wrote:

Yeah, well, I'm not organized enough to get organized!!!

I think I'll try the book-- RachelEve, I pm'd you- Thanks all!!!!!!!

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 6:20 am
I saw a magnet once that read

"organized ppl are just too lazy to look for things"

I wish I would be so "lazy"!

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:10 am
You can try starting from here:
http://flylady.com/d/getting-s.....teps/

I've been "flying" for years & it makes sense if you start w. the basics & add more as you are ready. A big piece of what she does is motivational as well---encouraging you to keep trying.

This time of year Fly lady has a lot of stuff geared to the other holiday, so disregard that & hang on.

The lady running Jewish Fly baby is on a bit of a break for now, so if you request membership there,it may be a while before it is processed.

I have some charts for "Flying" you can pm me w. an e-mail address & I will bli-nedder send them to you soon. I love charts, so they really work for me.

hcw

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:36 am
The Jewish group expects you to stay connected to the original one, but if you familiarize yourself with the system first, you don't need to get their emails.

hcw

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:37 am
poemmom wrote:
manyhats wrote:

Yeah, well, I'm not organized enough to get organized!!!

I think I'll try the book-- RachelEve, I pm'd you- Thanks all!!!!!!!

I started my time management journey with a book that had on its cover, "If you don't have time to read this book, you need this book."

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 8:06 am
I tried Flylady several times, and never stuck with the babysteps -- didn't do it for me, as I wasn't seeing progress fast enough.

I decided to jump in a few weeks ago with the regular stuff and skip trying the baby steps.

I have my morning routine, daytime routine, and night routine written out. This is my first day back at work since starting, and we'll see how the daytime routine goes, but I found that a lot easier than trying to add on a thing every day, most of which felt pointless to me (I mean I DO get dressed every day, I have to waste a day on that?)

So what I do is get her digests or just check online what the weekly plan is. I then write it down on a piece of paper in my little notebook, and only read her digests if I have time.

This is what my small notebook looks like.

Page 1: Morning routine.
If I'm running late or whatever, I don't feel bad. Just start again the next day as if I never missed a beat.
I wrote it out to be MY routine.
(Wake up, negel vasser, swish and swipe [keep a shmatta in your bathroom always or it will not get done], make my bed, get dressed, put in a load of laundry, say brachos, go to kids and help them, finish putting the cold lunch stuff in the backpacks. If I have extra time I wash dishes, but it's not on my list.)

Page 2: Daytime routine.
This is basically reminders to me to do a 15 minute cleaning session that I take from the weekly tasks. Make sure I schedule enough time for supper, supposedly exercise for 15 minutes, drink water. I usually skip over this page, and just look at my weekly task list.

Page 3: Night Routine.
Finish dishes. Shine sink if possible. (If not, because something is soaking, I don't really care.)
Pack up lunches/bags. Cold stuff stays in fridge in lunch bag, snacks on counter if they need to be added to lunch bag in the morning. Anything that goes in the backpacks do.
Pick out clothes for all the kids.
Get my morning load of laundry ready in a basket.
2 minute decluttering a hot spot.
Get ready for bed.

Page 4: Laundry schedule for regular loads (towels and linens whenever in the afternoon/evenings/Sunday).
Sunday: Kids' bedroom.
Monday: My bedroom darks.
Tuesday: My bedroom whites.
Wednesday: Toddler's bedroom.
Thursday: Kids' bedroom.
Friday: My bedroom darks.
M"S: My bedroom whites.

Page 5:
Weekly task, each day 1 line.
Monday:
Tuesday:
Etc.
At the end of the week, I rip it out and trash it.
If I miss a day, I just skip on by instead of trying to catch up. That's what fails me...I get too overwhelmed.
That's also why I am now trying to do a load of laundry a day as it's much easier to put away than a bigger load.

Sherri

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 8:30 am
Yes, the book is Sink Reflections.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics