Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Bergenfield

amother

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:54 pm
does any one know about the community in nj Bergenfield?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:56 pm
What do you want to know?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 8:57 pm
every thing
schools- coed or not
shuls- yu or shteible

cassandra

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:20 pm
I know a little about it.

Last edited by cassandra on Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:20 pm
The info about Bergenfield is teh same as Teaneck- the crowd is just a little bit younger, and maybe a little "frummer". There are 4 schools. All of them are co-ed, but the frummest one has separate classes from first grade. There are 3 shuls in Bergenfield proper which is mostly a YU crowd (2 of the shuls have a YU Rosh Yeshiva as their Rav). The people who are not YU tend to identify with that way of thinking for the most part. The reason why I love Teaneck/Bergenfield is that nobody judges each other and most people get along, even if they dress differently. I would say the frumkeit ranges from really Modern to what most people here would consider halachic modern.

If you want more specific info you can e-mail me at menageriemom@gmail.com

DesignMommy

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 1:56 pm
I live in Bergenfield. I have no idea what "halachic modern" means, but there are many different levels of frumkeit here. PM me if you would like.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 7:57 pm
Because many of the people here would define those who live in our area as "modern", which implies halachic laxity. I was trying to distinguish between the two, since you can be modern (I.e., Zionistic, value secular education, in the world) and still be completely observant, albeit with different community standards. I used this term instead of the more eloquent term, "centrist." If you have never experienced this, and feel like people look at you the same all over, then you are lucky.

DesignMommy

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 10:58 pm
I grew up in a "modern/centrist" community and do not feel that Bergenfield, or our Shul, is that at all. My Husband and most of the husbands in the Shul are extremely learned and tremendous Bnei Torah B'H. But, yes, it is certainly a largely YU/Yeshivish crowd. I find the people in Bergenfield to be, thankfully, very non-judgemental.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics