Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Son misbehaves in class

JEWISHMAMA

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 6:53 am
I really do not know what to do. My son is 8 going to be 9 in january. He sits right infront of the rebbi and still makes either funny noises or funny faces. I thought he was being disrespectful and had a conversation with him. I have been warned that this rebbi is a bit tough on the kids and have seen some of the results ie son comes home either crying, in a bad mood or doesn´t want to go back to school. I have had a word with the rebbi but kind of got nowhere. my son does say he´s bored in class and trys his best to behave. I do believe him as he is quite an active child. what else can I do? don´t tell me to speak to the principal as we don´t have one (it´s a long story). he isn´t usually disrespectful and I never had this problem before with him.
Help.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 6:57 am
You say he is bored in class. Is he very bright and not sufficiently stimulated by the lessons?

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 3:23 am
thats what I was thinking but try telling that to the rav thats been teaching for 40 years. I tried talking to him and its like hitting a brick wall.

rivka m

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 9:19 pm
It sounds like you feel like you're in a stuck situation. Meaning there's noone on board to help you solve this problem. If a child isn't happy they're not going to learn well or even be motivated to learn and it breaks my heart, having a son the same age because it could be so great for him right now. He doesn't have that cynicism that kids develope as they're in the system longer. I wouldn't take this lightly.
You need to sit in that classroom and see for yourself what's going on.
Even though it's a time committment I beleive that you need to go to school for the week (not just for a day). See, is the problem the Rebbe? Obviously your son will be on his best behavior but it will give you a chance to get an insiders view on what's really going on. there's a strong chance that the Rebbe won't agree with this proposition.
YOu have 3 choices as I see it. One if you can, send your husband to ask him. Two, utilize your own magical combination of assertivness, femininity and mother bear protectivness. And three, talk to other parents to see what their child is experiencing. you may have to pull him out and get him a private Rebbe for the remainder of the year.
Whatever you decide, please don't take your eyes off the situation. We leave to much up to the school and we leave our kids in other people's care for 7 hours a day. We must make sure that what goes on there is in their best interest (esspecially with old school Rebbis who mean well.) Hatzlocha and please keep us posted

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 9:25 pm
Could you suggest to the Rabbi to give him some extra work? Maybe if he was busy he wouldn't be misbehaving?

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 5:15 am
We had this conversation last night. I was trying to explain to a 12 yr old the idea that some teachers greatest lesson is to be himself a nisayon to the student. If the teacher is not doing something seriously wrong there are things you can do to help. It is boring means its too easy or I don't understand so I can't concentrate. Both can look the same behaviourwise. Few are the kids who will say about themselves, "Ima, the work is hard and I need afterschool help". Try going over the material w/him a little to see if he is really grasping it. I gave one of my kids a workbook and good educational read that I told him that he could do or read in class when he finished his other work. I told the teacher privately before hand and got his approval because he did not want ds's acting out either.

One of my children was put in a harder program and raised a grade at the same time because of maturity. It was too hard and he kept telling me that he was angry at the teacher because, "There are some kids who don't understand or didn't learn before and he won't let them ask questions". The prob was my son refused afterschool help and wanted things that were taught previously, before he was there, retaught at the expense of the rest of the class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children