Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can someone explain to me Shabbos Robes?
1  2  3  Next

chica

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:29 am
I just don't get them. What's the point?

If I'm having guests for Shabbos I put on Shabbos clothes. I would certainly not be comfortable around guests in one.

If I'm laying around the house I'll wear a comfy skirt and top.

When would one wear a Shabbos robe? (Especially ones with ribbons and ruffles and bows and rhinestones...)

Perhaps it's b/c I'm BT and I never saw my mother wearing one, but even my FFB friends don't wear them. I feel like they're ridiculously expensive for what they are. And furthermore, they are not very fashionable. They seem slightly old-fashioned.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:35 am
I have a couple (one good one and 2 old ones). I didn't pay very much for any of them (end of season, sale, whatever).

I use them Friday night (only the very nice one), sometimes Shabbot afternoon after I get up from my rest, and if we go away for Shabbot so I don't have to get totally dressed every time I leave my room.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:36 am
I don't have one but they're like a hostess gown. Generally, long black, lycra slinky gowns with beading, rhinestones, bows, ruffles etc. If youre tall and super thin I think they are really nice. I want one but it seems silly. What I really want is a nice long velour robe that I can roam my house in so Im not in sweats or flannel PJ's shabbos morning. NONE of my friends have a shabbos robe.
But I still want one.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:38 am
They are nice to wear friday night at home so you dont have to get properly dressed and all also to wear when you are around the house on shabbos if you wnt to be covered but not dressed.
Some people wear some dont. matter of taste I think.

tikva18

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:43 am
chocolate chips wrote:
They are nice to wear friday night at home so you dont have to get properly dressed and all also to wear when you are around the house on shabbos if you wnt to be covered but not dressed.
Some people wear some dont. matter of taste I think.

I love them. I love putting on something fancy, but extremely comfortable and be dressed for shabbos. It must be the little girl in me Smile I wear mine friday night - and very occasionally shabbos day if I'm not, for some reason going to shul and am sick or something. I do wear mine to the tehillim group on my block - as do some others.

If I have company I probably will get dressed in a shabbos suit, but may not - as the robe is very finished looking.
Oh, and my dd loves wearing her robe too.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:57 am
I'm all for any women's clothing that is comfortable, although I do not think I would feel comfortable in the presence of guests in a robe, no matter how decorated the robe is.

They are not worn much in my community, so maybe I'm just not used to the concept.

Most of the ones I've seen on-line look very frumpy and old-fashioned.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 2:36 pm
My mother only wears shabbos robes. Shabbos clothes is for when she goes out.
I change into it right after my friday shower and wear it to the meal (in my house or my parents). I often wear one shabbos day too. It is nice looking, washable and comfortable. And I don't have to think about what to wear. If it's in lieu of shabbos outfits it works out cheaper.
If I am sleeping at someone other than my family I would wear it to sleep in (so I don't have to get all dressed to leave the bedroom) and to lounge in.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 2:37 pm
oh and I wear a sheitel with my robe Smile

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 2:56 pm
They're good for when you are in the hospital having a baby and you don't want to walk around in that yucky hospital gown. At Bikur Cholim hospital (in Jerusalem) all the women change into their Shabbos robes as soon as they can.

Also, if you are at home in the morning (and don't want to get all dressed up or don't have time) and you have to take your children to gan or wait with them for the schoolbus to pick them up, you can walk around your neighborhood in your Shabbos robe.

Another reason for them would be if you had someone staying with you and you couldn't just walk around in yoga pants and a sweatshirt, but you also wanted to be comfortable.

I dunno... I have a couple. I bought them in Geula. I don't wear them outside the house, but I certainly see women who do... mostly it's dropping kids off at gan or picking them up, but sometimes I see women in Shabbos robes in the grocery store.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 2:59 pm
I love Shabbos robes. They are very comfortable, but still attractive. Usually the skirt of a Shabbos robe is ankle-length or longer, so I can wear socks with it and stay covered. If I got dressed in a regular Shabbos outfit, I would need to wear stockings, since the skirts I usually wear are around calf-length. If I fall asleep in my Shabbos robe, either at night or in the afternoon, it is just as comfortable as a nightgown. I usually wear a sleeveless top as an undershirt/shell under my Shabbos robe, so I feel fine going bra-less, something I would never do while wearing regular clothes. It probably isn't as nice as wearing real Shabbos clothes, but I am about a thousand times more comfortable. It is my oneg Shabbos. If I know I'm having guests for a meal, I will put on sheitel and maybe jewelry and think I look nice.

freidasima

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 3:04 pm
Mine don't have beading, rhinestones or any jewelry or junk on them. They are just nice pretty, and clean elegant pattern looking velour winter and tricot for the summer. Front zipper. Gathered sleeves with elastic that can be pushed up to the elbow and drapes over so everything is covered when it gets warm. Pockets. Soft.

I only wear robes at home, never clothes. So I have weekday robes and shabbos robes. That's all. No rhinestones, no junk. I also don't have chandeliers in the bathroom nor do we have plastic wrap on the sofa and chairs or a see through plastic over the tablecloth. In my book that goes together with rhinestone robes.

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 3:37 pm
freidasima wrote:
Mine don't have beading, rhinestones or any jewelry or junk on them. They are just nice pretty, and clean elegant pattern looking velour winter and tricot for the summer. Front zipper. Gathered sleeves with elastic that can be pushed up to the elbow and drapes over so everything is covered when it gets warm. Pockets. Soft.

I only wear robes at home, never clothes. So I have weekday robes and shabbos robes. That's all. No rhinestones, no junk. I also don't have chandeliers in the bathroom nor do we have plastic wrap on the sofa and chairs or a see through plastic over the tablecloth. In my book that goes together with rhinestone robes.

freidasima, Do they really have such things as plastic wrap on the sofa? Is that a joke? Is that during Pesach? Is it an Isreali thing? Here, everyone covers with tin foil although I never saw it on a couch. It must be uncomfortable. I don't have chandeliers in my bathroom either. I don't even have one in my dinning room basically because I can't choose one. I have a hole covered in plastic waiting for the chandelier to be installed. We do that so the Shabbos table stays clean.

I wear Shabbos robes for Shabbos also. I buy whatever will fit me. I had such a hard time finding anything I liked like the OP of the other thread, my DH went by himself to a robe store and got one that fit. [I wish he would do this with the chandelier.] This one has a ribbon of sequined beading asymmetrically down the robe. It actually is slimming. I don't require beading. I wear with a white turban Friday night and a black turban decorated in with a few black sequins to match on Shabbos.

It is more comfortable than Shabbos clothes. It is easily washed unlike my other dress clothes.

My Shabbos robe is not worn during the week also. Mine is also reserved for Shabbos and Yom Tovim.

Shendellah

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 3:51 pm
I love them! I only wear them at home and ussually when we dont have guests. They're great for nursing!

tikva18

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 4:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
freidasima wrote:

freidasima, Do they really have such things as plastic wrap on the sofa? Is that a joke? Is that during Pesach? Is it an Isreali thing? Here, everyone covers with tin foil although I never saw it on a couch. It must be uncomfortable. I don't have chandeliers in my bathroom either. I don't even have one in my dinning room basically because I can't choose one. I have a hole covered in plastic waiting for the chandelier to be installed. We do that so the Shabbos table stays clean.

I wear Shabbos robes for Shabbos also. I buy whatever will fit me. I had such a hard time finding anything I liked like the OP of the other thread, my DH went by himself to a robe store and got one that fit. [I wish he would do this with the chandelier.] This one has a ribbon of sequined beading asymmetrically down the robe. It actually is slimming. I don't require beading. I wear with a white turban Friday night and a black turban decorated in with a few black sequins to match on Shabbos.

It is more comfortable than Shabbos clothes. It is easily washed unlike my other dress clothes.

My Shabbos robe is not worn during the week also. Mine is also reserved for Shabbos and Yom Tovim.

Well yippee. I fit a mold. I do have a clear plastic on my table and I do wear robes with rhinestones. I don't, however, have plastic on my couch. I always wanted to fit in Smile

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 4:11 pm
tikva18 wrote:
Squishy wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Well yippee. I fit a mold. I do have a clear plastic on my table and I do wear robes with rhinestones. I don't, however, have plastic on my couch. I always wanted to fit in Smile

tikva,

I can't get my mind around the stereotype. Chandeliers in the bathroom would seem to me to belong to someone who wanted to be elegant. This plastic wrap on the couch even during Pesach is not so elegant. I do tinfoil and a sort of corrugated plastic for Pesach but not on my couch.

I have never seen the plastic wrap. Is it done with leather couches also?

What is the mold? Is there a connection between plastic wrap on the couches and Shabbos Robes? I don't get it.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 5:54 pm
I think FS's examles are stereotypical hunagarian LOL

Squishy wrote:
tikva18 wrote:
Squishy wrote:
freidasima wrote:

tikva,

I can't get my mind around the stereotype. Chandeliers in the bathroom would seem to me to belong to someone who wanted to be elegant. This plastic wrap on the couch even during Pesach is not so elegant. I do tinfoil and a sort of corrugated plastic for Pesach but not on my couch.

I have never seen the plastic wrap. Is it done with leather couches also?

What is the mold? Is there a connection between plastic wrap on the couches and Shabbos Robes? I don't get it.

Happy18

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Very true.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 7:07 pm
Happy18 wrote:
amother wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Very true.

When I was growing up, my very hungarian upstairs neighbor had a white couch covered in plastic. Awful thing to sit on. Just thinking about the sound it made when you sat down on it makes my teeth clench.

In response to OP, I wear my shabbos robe all shabbos. I wear weekday robes during the week. I hate getting dressed, but I don't wanna sit in pjs all day either. Shabbos robes are just nicer than the weekday ones!!

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 7:09 pm
freidasima wrote:
I also don't have chandeliers in the bathroom nor do we have plastic wrap on the sofa and chairs or a see through plastic over the tablecloth. In my book that goes together with rhinestone robes.

Oh my--the plastic on the sofa. I remember that at my great grandmother's apartment. Oy. Why, oh why did they do that? I remember sliding off on summer days.
**You forgot the bright mustard-yellow pattern underneath the plastic, on the aforementioned sofa.** Smile

This made me laugh out loud. Smile Thanks for that!!!

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 7:15 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
I remember sliding off on summer days.

How could you slide off in the summer?!?! Don't you mean getting stuck to it??
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics