Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can I find this in West Hempstead?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:10 pm
We are looking to move to NY, West Hempstead is one option. We are very frum but not necessarily yeshivish. I want to know that where ever I move, my kids will have friends from their schools that live in our neighborhood and that they do not have TV's in their houses. Can I find this in W Hempstead? How hard would we have to look?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 12:35 pm
bump

Happy18

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 12:46 pm
It depends where you would send your kids to school. You can definitely find families that don't have a tv, but depending on which schools you send to this will be different.

granolamom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 1:13 pm
my kids have lots of friends in their classes from W Hempstead. All of the families I know who live their are really great people, very frum but not yeshivish. the kind of people I feel blessed to know and lucky that my kids are friends with theirs. They all do happen to have tv's though. I think anyway. not sure about one of them.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 1:14 pm
what schools would you reccomend for my 6 y.o. son and 5 y.o. daughter, that have some kids without TV.

Where we live now, we are almost the only ones without a TV and it makes playdates a real pain.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 1:39 pm
There is AT MOST a handful of families without tv (I can tell you who Smile ) - South Shore for boys - it's a good school and in Hewlett - approx. 5 boys go per grade.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 2:05 pm
You sound more right wing than West Hempstead. West Hempstead is a beautiful community, with many wonderful frum families, but almost all of my friends from there have TV's and other hashkafos in line with that (I can only think of 2 out of the more than 20 families that I know from there who do not). There are other non-yeshivish communities in that general area that are more to the right than West Hempstead.

granolamom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
what schools would you reccomend for my 6 y.o. son and 5 y.o. daughter, that have some kids without TV.

Where we live now, we are almost the only ones without a TV and it makes playdates a real pain.

I think that if playdates are your concern, tv's are only one aspect of many. we have a tv, its not in the playroom. I have a hard-fast rule, no tv when there are other kids in the house. also no computer.
my kids have some friends without tvs but they play video games whenever they go there. or play on the computer. so go figure. judging a persons hashkafa based on whether or not they have a tv tells you only a tiny part of the story. I guess you could generalize and say 'most' ppl with tv would leave it on when kids are visiting (btw, my kids are not into tv characters and play either because I limit tv to a couple of hrs a week at most), but personally I like to get to know the family before sending my kid over. I know a family without a tv that thinks nothing of leaving their children entertaining playdates in the care of a spanish housekeeper. very unacceptable to me.

in my experience, most of the kids I know in the 5T's, west hempstead area do have tv's. FR, not so much. btw, Bnos Bais Yaakov requests (or requires, not sure) that the family does not have a tv. am not aware of any other local school that has a 'tv policy'.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 4:31 pm
granolamom wrote:
amother wrote:

I think that if playdates are your concern, tv's are only one aspect of many. we have a tv, its not in the playroom. I have a hard-fast rule, no tv when there are other kids in the house. also no computer.
my kids have some friends without tvs but they play video games whenever they go there. or play on the computer. so go figure. judging a persons hashkafa based on whether or not they have a tv tells you only a tiny part of the story. I guess you could generalize and say 'most' ppl with tv would leave it on when kids are visiting (btw, my kids are not into tv characters and play either because I limit tv to a couple of hrs a week at most), but personally I like to get to know the family before sending my kid over. I know a family without a tv that thinks nothing of leaving their children entertaining playdates in the care of a spanish housekeeper. very unacceptable to me.

in my experience, most of the kids I know in the 5T's, west hempstead area do have tv's. FR, not so much. btw, Bnos Bais Yaakov requests (or requires, not sure) that the family does not have a tv. am not aware of any other local school that has a 'tv policy'.

Bnos Basi Yaakov requires you to sign that you don't have a TV, but they're not actually coming into your home to check. I personally know of more than one family who signed that they do not have a TV, but who does have one. I don't know what kind of chinuch that is, but....

Darchei has you sign that you have an internet filer in your home on all of your computers. They do not have an official no- TV policy, but they are very definitely against it. If I had to guess, I'd say that probably around 50% of the school has TVs. (I'm only sating this based on my experience with my sons and their friends. I'm not sure how accurate it is.) I do not know a single West Hempstead boy in the school, although there probably are some.

My girls go to TAG, where there is also no official no-TV policy, but again, they are against it, and I would say that figure (50%) is probably the same. It could also be because those 2 schools are heavily weighted with Far Rockaway people too, so there are fewer TVs, although both my sons and daughters have a number of friends who live in the 5 Towns who do not have TV either (or if they have one, I don't know it because my children have never ever watched one in their homes). I also don't know of any West Hempstead students in TAG, but again, there probably are.

I think most families from West Hempstead send their children to HANC (it's right there), and if they want separate boys and girls, it's HALB. I think the West Hempstead "right-wingers" send to South Shore (for boys) and Shulamis (for girls).

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 4:04 pm
We are thinking of Darchei/Tag if we live within commuting distance (W Hemp or FR. Is Queens (KG) close enough for that?). The thing with TV is not that I think my children may watch tv while at a friend (because I can check that before the playdate), but just from our experience, (maybe bec we are OOT in a mixed community and mixed type school) the more modern kids, that have TV's, tend to be more violent/wild and tend to talk about and play with guns and killing a lot.
We thought South Shore might be a bit modern for us, although we don't know so much about it.

"There are other non-yeshivish communities in that general area that are more to the right than West Hempstead"

My husband will be working in W Hempstead, thats why we are looking there. What community(s) are you referring to?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 4:41 pm
I believe that there are several families sending to bais yaakov in queens. Enough that I think there is a bus. It seems that the community is moving more to the right as younger people are starting to move in.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 4:43 pm
If South Shore is a bit modern for you, then West Hempstead is definitely too modern for you. Anywhere on the south shore: any of the 5 Towns, or Far Rockaway/Bayswater, is within easy commuting distance to West Hempstead, and most have their yeshivish/non-yeshivish contingencies.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 4:49 pm
Queens is commuting distance depending on how long you want to travel. Distance-wise it's not far, but you have to take highways, and traffic may be worse. I would consider it an easy commute from KGH to W. Hempstead, but it's subjective.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 10:34 pm
DH just gave his job (kollel) two weeks notice and we will be making the move to NY by mid-Feb, the latest. We decided to look at West Hempstead or FR/Bayswater and I will be calling Darchei Torah and Tag. Any ideas of how to find an apt in W Hempstead? For Far Rockaway I'm looking at the Five Towns shul list.

wtvr

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:07 pm
West Hempstead also has a shuls list. You can post there.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:11 pm
If you're looking in Bayswater, you can also look at frumbayswater.com

Optione

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:35 pm
There are a lot of options in b/w FR and W. Hempstead: Cedarhurst, Lawrence, Woodmere... There are a lot of kids in Darchei and TAG from these places but both schools have only a very few from WH.

Rather move to FR/5T and have your husband drive 20 min to WH then move there and have your kids on a bus for 45 min. each way. Darchei won't take your son if you live in Queens (KG/KGH, etc). Also, I've done both and the trip from FR to WH is MUCH easier than Queens to WH...

G'luck!

wispalover

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
We are thinking of Darchei/Tag if we live within commuting distance (W Hemp or FR. Is Queens (KG) close enough for that?). The thing with TV is not that I think my children may watch tv while at a friend (because I can check that before the playdate), but just from our experience, (maybe bec we are OOT in a mixed community and mixed type school) the more modern kids, that have TV's, tend to be more violent/wild and tend to talk about and play with guns and killing a lot.
We thought South Shore might be a bit modern for us, although we don't know so much about it.

"There are other non-yeshivish communities in that general area that are more to the right than West Hempstead"

My husband will be working in W Hempstead, thats why we are looking there. What community(s) are you referring to?

SERIOUSLY?????? The "more modern kids" tend to be more violent and wild and play with guns and talk about killing? And it is only the modern kids who watch TV? Perhaps this is to do with parenting, not the fact they are more modern.
The charedi kids I know from when I lived in Israel thought nothing of finding a tiny, defenseless puppy and beating it as close to death as they could until my brother came along at the exact right time B'H and saved this little doggy. Does this mean every charedi kid I know has it in them to beat animals to death?

FYI, btw, I trained as a pediatric OT. The kids I worked with in a mixed more right wing school, were a range of modern to very right wing. Without fail, the more right wing a kid was, the more disgusting his behavior to parents, teachers and friends.

granolamom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:27 pm
yeah, wispalover, I kinda took offense to that remark. I think I probably fall into the 'more modern' type. we have a tv. I limit it to weekends only and never for playdates. my boys do turn their tinker toys into guns, they are currently a bit obsessed with WWI tanks so my laundry baskets morph into tanks regularly and my playroom is the battlezone. however, they have no idea which tv shows or characters are popular and they are not 'violent' or 'agressive' kids. I personally find their play creative and educational, not so much wild
contrast that with some of my more yeshivish friends' kids who dont have a tv but somehow are all up to date on the latest movies.

wispalover

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 7:30 am
My son is three and LOVES his water gun. We have never let him see a single show with guns, and he found this one in a shopping cart and wanted it really badly.
The shows my son watches are Sid the Science Kid (extremely educational), The Cat in the Hat (ditto), Curious George (as above), Yo Gabba Gabba (again) OH and CareBears. I really find it hard to believe any of these shows are going to make him ultra violent, or an inappropriate playmate and we are probably as modern as they get....! No-one else seemed to bat an eyelid at the remark, granolamom, did you notice?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating