Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can I find this in West Hempstead?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 8:33 am
OP here.
I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone, I now realize I was wrong. I based my statements on my limited experience in a very small oot community, where coincidently the kids who watch tv are more aggressive and run around with guns and swords. Those that are not exposed to TV do not imitate superheroes and other tv characters. I was not at all associating all modern orthodox with violent tv watching. Im sorry if you got that impression. Violent tv watching can be found anywhere on the religious spectrum.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.
I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone, I now realize I was wrong. I based my statements on my limited experience in a very small oot community, where coincidently the kids who watch tv are more aggressive and run around with guns and swords. Those that are not exposed to TV do not imitate superheroes and other tv characters. I was not at all associating all modern orthodox with violent tv watching. Im sorry if you got that impression. Violent tv watching can be found anywhere on the religious spectrum.

Amother, there is no reason to apologize, every study on kids and tv, points to the relationship, between watching violent tv and aggression.
http://www.med.umich.edu/yourc.....lence

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:02 pm
[quote="smilingmom] Amother, there is no reason to apologize, every study on kids and tv, points to the relationship, between watching violent tv and aggression.
http://www.med.umich.edu/yourc.....uote]

Yes but you can't expand to general (non-violent) TV watching and aggression.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:06 pm
granolamom wrote:
I know a family without a tv that thinks nothing of leaving their children entertaining playdates in the care of a spanish housekeeper. very unacceptable to me.

Maybe I'm missing something here, why very unacceptable? I presume the housekeeper is a regular employee of the household whose duty includes caring for the children? Or you only arrange playdates with SAHM(D)?

granolamom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 10:31 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
granolamom wrote:
I know a family without a tv that thinks nothing of leaving their children entertaining playdates in the care of a spanish housekeeper. very unacceptable to me.

Maybe I'm missing something here, why very unacceptable? I presume the housekeeper is a regular employee of the household whose duty includes caring for the children? Or you only arrange playdates with SAHM(D)?

I do not leave my children in the care of someone with whom they cannot communicate.
and I expect that parents who call to invite my child to their home will let me know if they will not be home and my child will be left in the care of a non-Jewish sitter, especially one that does not speak english.
its only happened once, now I ask before I send my kids anywhere. I also ask about pools and whether they are covered/locked. you'd be surprised......

granolamom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

no worries : )

truth is, even if you did move somewhere because you know *some* families without tv's, its only a matter of time before your kids choose their own friends. if its really such a big issue for you, WH is not the place for you. you probably want a place where very few ppl have tv's.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 12:37 pm
OP here.
I actually do let my kids watch on the computer for an hour or two on most Sundays. But generally only educational stuff (Berenstain Bears, Magic School Bus, Sid the Science Kid, etc) or classics if I have to (Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins). I just find that some kids are really wild and not disciplined and of those the ones that watch tv are much worse behaved.
To the one that mentioned Chareidi kids in Israel- that has nothing to do with this. And its one reason I live in America and not Israel. And of course e/t is just a generalization, there isn't a single 'rule' that applys to the whole of a group 100%. Its just a matter of the odds and then also the risk that a parent is willing to take based on those odds.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating