Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Oot kollel looking for yungerliet.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 11:34 am
Dhi is a very serious kollel student- we were thinking if that his strong points and he loves to learn then maybe there is some oot kollel that is looking to recruit yungerliet and pays well-

any ideas??

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 3:09 pm
anyone?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 4:03 pm
I heard Atlanta is interviewing now. I have no idea if it's even a good match. You didn't really give all that much information. But you can try.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 4:05 pm
Bensalem, PA?
(Doesn't pay so well, but that's all relative!)

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 5:47 pm
Can I just add to this question - I don't have an answer, but I am also curious, not for right now but just to know what the market is like...

Thing is, DH is not a kiruv type. I think many OOT kollels try to attract people who will do a lot of outreach. DH is much more shy and quiet. He is just a really serious learner. However, he does have other skills to offer a developing community - he is a sofer and mohel, for starters.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 7:13 pm
My brother is a brilliant learner. He interviewed in Toronto and Montreal - they both pay fairly well. Most kollels are short on the necessary funds to recruit new members these days, unfortunately.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 7:45 pm
If he's in Lakewood, there are people who help with placement. Might be kedai to call even if he's learning elsewhere.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
Can I just add to this question - I don't have an answer, but I am also curious, not for right now but just to know what the market is like...

Thing is, DH is not a kiruv type. I think many OOT kollels try to attract people who will do a lot of outreach. DH is much more shy and quiet. He is just a really serious learner. However, he does have other skills to offer a developing community - he is a sofer and mohel, for starters.
I know a city that needs a mohel, but they just got a bunch of new guys and don't have room for more Sad

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 9:26 pm
Keep in mind, the places that pay on the higher side are usually areas with higher costs of living. I haven't heard of one OOT kollel that stands out among the rest as offering a superior compensation package once you consider cost of living (for example, it's escaping me what city in California - San Diego maybe? - that offers $80,000 but housing costs are through the roof so it's comparable to a $35-40,000 stipend in the Midwest. [Some places may have housing for the yungerleit so that's a plus.] Some kollelim emphasize kiruv more (and look for those types of personalities) some less. A good friend of mine moved to one city and they found that the responsibilities are so much - from husband AND wife which include hosting 3 Shabbosim out of 4 - that they moved back to our city and she said she'd rather work (her husband also works half a day).

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 9:52 pm
What abt Waterbury?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 11:15 pm
DH is chasidish- amazing learner.
what know what type of community it is and what type of conditions a lil more details?
someone mentioned CA- do u know if they are looking for yungerliet
we dont mind moving out for a couple of years....

If anyone knows more details- ppl to talk to- phone numbers etc that would be great!

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
what know what type of community it is and what type of conditions a lil more details?

If anyone knows more details- ppl to talk to- phone numbers etc that would be great!

I mentioned CA. And the city is definitely not San Diego but I'm totally blanking on it now...should have asked my husband. He's close to the Rosh Kollel.

See, I think you need a point of contact to have best access to these positions. Meaning, where are you now? If Lakewood, be in touch with the placement people there (there are a few). Chofetz Chaim has its own placement (and I think the Rosh Yeshiva is very involved in placement too). I'm assuming not Ner Yisroel because you mentioned chassidish and Baltimore is really not chassidish. But where ever you are now, be in touch with the Rosh Kollel and current placement people - they will hear (and it's their jobs to be on top of) current openings. Some guys also like to meet with Torah Umesorah in their NY office.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:

When we were in the parsha (or rather I was, dh wouldn't hear of it:), Sherri knew a lot. Why don't you PM her?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 10:20 am
Tova wrote:
amother wrote:

I mentioned CA. And the city is definitely not San Diego but I'm totally blanking on it now...should have asked my husband. He's close to the Rosh Kollel.
Palo Alto/ San Jose if I were to guess Very Happy

But I think it's a lot of outreach.
Tova was mentioning that cost of living needs to be factored in with salaries. So looking at numbers offered alone doesn't mean much. California, Toronto, etc costs more to live than Columbus, OH (which is outreach also)...it was a theoretical point, not that she's saying 1)there are openings 2)that it's a learning-only kollel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating