Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Taking "Daycare kid" out of daycare?

curlgirl

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 10:57 am
Well, I always calculated daycare as an expense incurred by my working full-time.
Both my kids have been in daycare full-time since they were babies (9 hours a day).
At heart I am REALLY not a working mother (to put it mildly) and hope to quit my job in the next few months (bez"h).

But now I got very cold feet. My younger child is almost 2 and I can't really imagine being home with her all of a sudden. And then what about next year, she'll be 3 already? And is not used to being home full-time, with the lower level of stimulation that would bring.

I hope to quit my job regardless of the educational decisions we make for DD.

The problem is that where I live, there is no cheap option. Half-day "gan" for a 2-3 yr. old is VERY expensive (IMO) and it just doesn't feel justified.

FTR, If I were to keep her home next year (IOW till age 3.5) she'd almost definitely be the only kid her age at home in our area, so no playmates or playdates etc.

So- What would be in DD's best interest? A mom's love and attention (and a huge savings), or gan?

(Yes, I know there are varied opinions on this. Please share! I'm confused Confused )

curlgirl

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 1:29 am
Bump 8)

bradybunch

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 1:35 am
Honest truth? Once you haven't been home full-time with your kids, it's incredibly difficult to go back to doing so. I was home for 4 years before starting medical school, at which point my kids were 4, 2, and 2. Now it's been 1.5 years, and even during a 2 week vacation like we just had (OOT schools usually follow the public schedule for winter break), I find it difficult to be at home full time with them. They are a bit older than what you are talking about, but it's the same idea. They are used to the routine of school, and I'm not used to providing them with that routine--after all, shabbos has its own routine, and on Sundays we are busy with all the things we don't have time to do otherwise.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:06 am
I took my kids out of daycare at 3 and 19 months when my maternity leave started.

We are having a great time.

The important thing is to PLAN AHEAD. If you have activities and crafts set up for the day, your kids have a lot of fun.

I don't know where you live, but make sure to do things where they socialize. Go to the park, library, zoo etc.

Does your shul have youth groups on Shabbos? Have them attend.

If you love hanging out with your kids and can plan to entertain/teach them, its fantastic.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 9:30 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I took my kids out of daycare at 3 and 19 months when my maternity leave started.

We are having a great time.

The important thing is to PLAN AHEAD. If you have activities and crafts set up for the day, your kids have a lot of fun.

I don't know where you live, but make sure to do things where they socialize. Go to the park, library, zoo etc.

Does your shul have youth groups on Shabbos? Have them attend.

If you love hanging out with your kids and can plan to entertain/teach them, its fantastic.

Well, socializing would be a problem. Virtually noone keeps kids home past age 1.5-2 here.
And my older one will be in gan till 2:00 (free as I'm in Israel and he'll be 4).

I do love spending time with my kids, but having free mornings sounds amazing too (if a bit weird after the past few crazy years). So I really need to decide what's best for my daughter...

Till what age would you keep your oldest home? What if he were the only one home?

I would need alot of confidence to do this where I live Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers