Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Shh! Don't tell" shortcuts
  Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 11:45 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
It does? I always use it for everything!!! Is it also dangerous when used in ovens?

Not as dangerous as directly over a flame.
In the oven, don't use it with acidic items as that makes the aluminum leach to the food more.

crust

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 12:09 am
bsy wrote:
I bake gefilte fish so I don't have a pot to wash.

Make cookie dough (or pizza dough) in a ziplock so no cleanup.

I wonder if you have specific recipe. I bake salmon but my Gefilte fish lost its fluff when I did it.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 1:25 am
I think this is the only pleasant feeling thread I've read on here in a long time....

It's usually always attacking a community or airing dirty laundry.

More threads like this are worthwhile.

Metukah

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:33 am
Grateful2bhere wrote:

I've heard about people "dipping" their silver & then doesn't need polishing, sounds wonderful, but it's very expensive, right? Wondering if anybody has experience with this (might be nice in honor if a big anniversary or something.

I don't know what other people's experience is with this but I wouldn't recommend it. When dh bought me a candelabra for my birthday, the one we chose came with this coating on it. The first few months it was lovely, no need to polish but then this 'varnish' started to come off in tiny areas and it is really difficult to properly polish silver with this coating. We now have to pay to have it removed.

bsy

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:39 am
crust wrote:
I wonder if you have specific recipe. I bake salmon but my Gefilte fish lost its fluff when I did it.

Cut up an onion and put in pan.
Put fish on top with the seam face down.
In measuring cup, mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (I do 1/4 or less), a heaping teaspoon salt, and some white pepper (I use black bec I don't have white).
Add water until about 3/4 cup mark.
Stir and pour over fish.
Cover and bake at 350 for 90 minutes.

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:56 am
I buy chicken in bulk when on sale. I clean and freeze in ziplock bags in single meal portions. Each bag has enough for 1 meal for my family. Then on days when I don't have a chance to prepare dinner ahead of time I just pull out a bag in the morning and stick in the crockpot before going to work. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and then when I get home ask I need to do is make rice or couscous or a vegetable like broccoli and dinner is done. You can even cut up potatoes and put in the crockpot with the chicken for a one pot meal.

sitting

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:05 am
Ive enjoyed reading all your tips. Here are mine:

I never cook one dinners worth of things like meatballs, lasagnes, shnitsel...etc....always double and freeze for a rainy day.

When mine were very young sun am was my slow morning. I would (with kids to "help") each wk cook somethinf in bulk(4 dinners worth)...kugals, borekas, deli roll, meatballs, shnitsel so my freeezer was always full.

I dont iron- anything. Shirts get hung while damp. (Half dry)

Double challah batch...half bake one batch and then freeze for next wk. Next wk finish baking.

In front hallway I have a tall storage drawer. Each kid has a drawer for their hats/gloves/scarves/subway card or kit.

In bedrooms if u need more space for storage
(Dont we all) hamg on closet front a shoe pocket storage....good for shoes, kippas, belts, ties etc.

By the kids bed hang a plastic photo storage...u place inside 20 or so photos. My kids love to look at when falling asleep. Change/update when u can.

The shelf for my eggs/milk etc I line with paper towel and switch regularly.

Never make cookies. Spread dough in a long rectangle and slice after baking into wedges. You can rebake after slicing for added crisps if you like.

When I buy tissues and toilet roll yes open right away and place 2 or 3 of each in each bathroom closet .

Buy big bags of pretzels, chips etc for school snacks and kids love dividing them in snack ziplocks. Store ready to grab in am.

Hope that helps.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:18 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Hey! Awesome ideas here! A friend gave me a way to make a cholent overnight in the oven in a 9x13 deep disposable pan, and I've never looked back!

How do you make that?

tryingmybest

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:39 am
I didn’t read this whole chat so it was probably mentioned but the freezer is my best friend. I double and triple soups, lasagnas, shabbos food etc. we try to eat healthy so it’s not always easy as I don’t make deli roll or meatloaf or things that aren’t whole wheat and not everything can freeze but I literally freeze whatever I can. I use it all the time on an exhausting day, when we’re in the mood of a soup on motzei shabbos, etc
Yes I also separate the chicken into portion sized bags and just grab one at a time out of the freezer

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:15 am
Another thing I do is always keep extras of whatever I use regularly on hand. Be it toilet paper, tissues, ketchup, spices, tomato sauce, frozen green beans, frozen broccoli, etc. Saves me from having to run to the store to get stuff mid-week, or running out in middle of cooking. Also makes it much easier to throw together a last minute dinner since I have everything on hand. You need to have at least some storage space in order to do this but totally worth devoting the space if you can.
I also cook in bulk. Once everything is out and dirty it doesn't take much more time to double, triple, or even quadruple a recipe. Then I have a fully stocked freezer that I can pull out dinner, sides for shabbos, baked goods, soups, challah, etc. My biggest piece of advice to any working mom is to get an extra freezer, even if it means getting rid of other furniture to make it fit. At one point we even kept our extra freezer in our bedroom since that was the only place it fit!
Also, ordering online. I used to always shlep to Target, etc. Now I just order everything online and it's delivered right to my door. Even for clothes I do this. I order in multiple sizes if I'm not sure what will fit. Then I can try the clothes on my kids/myself when I have time and not have to worry about the other kids behaving while I'm trying stuff on one. Then if things don't fit it's much faster just to go return then to take everyone to the store and browse and try on.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:16 am
I use my stand mixer to make my life easier. I mix everything from spinach kugel to meatballs/meatloaf to anything else that used the word "mix" in the recipe.

baltomom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:34 am
Great thread!

To make sock matching a breeze, I buy my husband and each of my boys multiple pairs of the same socks. That way all of each person's socks match.

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:15 pm
I grocery shop with my baby once weekly after work, so those nights I need literally a 5 minute dinner or less. Either I fry eggs and make toasted whole wheat bread, some weeks I use a hearty soup from the freezer (like lentil soup with vegies and fresh noodles), and other weeks chop up a turkey or pastrami into cubes, serve with lettuce, celery, and nish nosh dressing (store bought) and nish nosh crackers or fresh rolls.
My priority is to have laundry that is clean. I fold most of it but don’t spend too much time making sure it is perfect, as long as it is in the right drawer. It literally makes no difference to me.
Our dishwasher saves us soooo much time! If you don’t have one, get one!
I make chulent on Thursday in a pot on stove and put in fridge in the crockpot until Friday morning.
I freeze challah and chicken soup enough for weeks/months at a time.
Dry clean my husband’s shirts instead of wash dry and iron!
I don’t do newborn pajamas. I was changing my son 4 times a day anyway so what’s the difference as long as he is comfortable and warm?
I make lunches at night
I always make a weekly menu and shopping list and just shop once a week.
Swear by frozen cubed herbs and garlic
I freeze kneidlach and whatever else I can
I cut my chicken and meat into cubes for making poppers, shwarma, chulent, etc. as soon as I buy it instead of cutting semi frozen which is much harder. Then I bag in single meal size portions and freeze it that way until ready to use.
I defrost all chicken, soup, meat, fish overnight in fridge.
I usually do 1 to 2 loads of laundry every day so it is manageable.

Last edited by Woman of Valor on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:27 pm
WindowMagic wrote:

I don’t do newborn pajamas. I was changing my son 4 times a day anyway so what’s the difference as long as he is comfortable and warm?

I use challah pans for a nice shape, I don’t have to braid perfectly
dessert

What do you mean you don’t do newborn pajamas?
And does the challah mold come out nice? Does it look just like you braided, or could you tell it’s a mold?

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:44 pm
mommmmmmmmmmy wrote:
I hate scooping mayo out and washing the greesy spoon after so I put on a glove dump my hand in scoop out mayo and smear right on!
Dnt fold laundry. Basket for pjs bucket for undershirts bucket for underwear bucket for socks everyone can get themselves... Looks neat too...and Tshirts( I wnt buy shirts too hard to iron) get folded pants/ skirts get hung...
Pasta pots are to sticky to wash...I use 9x13 pan. Boil water in it...cook pasta...pour into colander...lay cheese on bottom of empty pan...pour back hot drained pasta...(flame off) cover few minutes till cheese melts. Stir serve!

I don’t understand how you make pasta in a pan. Please explain

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:53 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
What do you mean you don’t do newborn pajamas?
And does the challah mold come out nice? Does it look just like you braided, or could you tell it’s a mold?

Yes, you can tell because the sides and bottom are perfectly flat. I couldn't care less because I am not trying to fool anyone Smile Challah looks like a rectangle basically with a braided top. Not sure what your standards for a challah are so I can't tell you if you will think it's nice. My husband happens to really appreciate homemade challah, so I am willing to bake it usually. This way I find it looks presentable without taking too much time or skill to braid.

For newborn PJ's - here is what I meant. My son is 1 now...a wardrobe consists of tops, pants, undershirts, socks, shoes, Shabbos clothes, and PJ's right? Well I am saying I skip the PJs part for newborns (and the shoes Wink) I just find it unnecessary to buy specially designated PJ's when they look and feel exactly like regular stretchies. Most newborn outfits we have are either cozy stretchies or shirts and pants. Nothing really rough or buttons, etc. that could be uncomfortable to sleep in. So I was not makpid to buy special outfits that say PJs on them for my newborn. Was that more clear?

Last edited by Woman of Valor on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

potatoes

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 9:57 pm
jerusalem-girl wrote:
Maybe they are different here in Israel. I seem to remember having a hard time with them in America as well, but possibly not, or not as hard as here.

I remember when I would cook in Israel - split peas are a LOT harder there, as in, literally. Would not soften up!

American peas cook much quicker and softer

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:13 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
Yes, you can tell because the sides and bottom are perfectly flat. I couldn't care less because I am not trying to fool anyone Smile Challah looks like a rectangle basically with a braided top. Not sure what your standards for a challah are so I can't tell you if you will think it's nice. My husband happens to really appreciate homemade challah, so I am willing to bake it usually. This way I find it looks presentable without taking too much time or skill to braid.

For newborn PJ's - here is what I meant. My son is 1.5 now...a wardrobe consists of tops, pants, undershirts, socks, shoes, Shabbos clothes, and PJ's right? Well I am saying I skip the PJs part for newborns (and the shoes Wink) I just find it unnecessary to buy specially designated PJ's when they look and feel exactly like regular stretchies. Most newborn outfits we have are either cozy stretchies or shirts and pants. Nothing really rough or buttons, etc. that could be uncomfortable to sleep in. So I was not makpid to buy special outfits that say PJs on them for my newborn. Was that more clear?

Regarding the newborn pajamas, I do the same. Of course! The strechies are literally a pjs. Same material and just as comfortable.

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:37 pm
When I sweep a pile, I take a damp paper towel to pick up the pile. Picks up better than a dust pan, and because it’s damp it picks up the whole mess, usually in one swipe.

For baking- you can never go wrong with Duncan Heinz

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:41 pm
WindowMagic wrote:

For newborn PJ's - here is what I meant. My son is 1.5 now...a wardrobe consists of tops, pants, undershirts, socks, shoes, Shabbos clothes, and PJ's right? Well I am saying I skip the PJs part for newborns (and the shoes Wink) I just find it unnecessary to buy specially designated PJ's when they look and feel exactly like regular stretchies. Most newborn outfits we have are either cozy stretchies or shirts and pants. Nothing really rough or buttons, etc. that could be uncomfortable to sleep in. So I was not makpid to buy special outfits that say PJs on them for my newborn. Was that more clear?

My babies sleep throughout the day anyway, so why would one only try to be careful at night not to have rough/buttons, etc?

(Full disclosure: I also don't differentiate, but I never thought of comfort per se, as there really is no specific sleeping time...)
Page 11 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics