Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Egg-free kugel

dochesed

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 4:24 pm
My grandson is allergic to eggs. Does anyone know a recipe for kugel that is eggless? Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 5:04 pm
You might be better off with rice or some such.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 5:29 pm
Gryp makes apple kugel subbing 1/4 C applesauce mixed w/ 1/4 C rice milk for every 2 eggs...gonna try that this week IY"H.

whimsy

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 5:41 pm
any cranberry oatmeal type is egg free
also pumpkin pie type are egg free.
Gatherings has a pumpkin loaf without eggs too.

dochesed

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 6:57 pm
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 7:14 pm
Mommy3.5 has a potato kugel recipe without eggs.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kugel

yitta25

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 7:28 pm
I have a latke recipe without eggs that are baked if your interested. I love it.

1.5 lb bag frozen califlower
2 4oz mini red potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp onion flakes
salt & pepper

Place califlower in glass bowl. Cover tightly with saran wrap. Microwave for 10 to 12 minutes. Mash califlower. Grate in the mini potatoes with fine grater. Add spice. Spray pam on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Form patties (makes about 10) Spray top of patties with pam. Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes.

simhat_nisuyyin

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 7:31 pm
A good egg replacer is soy milk mixed with ground flaxseed, a drop of oil, and a drop of lemon juice.

elmos

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 11:20 pm
can you please post the pumpkin loaf as I do not own gatherings and would love more egg free options for when the family gets together as my nephew is allergic to eggs

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 6:02 am
I have a sweet potato pie that I make without eggs (although it calls for two.) I put in cornstarch mixed with water instead. It comes out a bit runnier, but delicious.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 6:03 am
Also, I tried using flaxseed as an egg replacer once, and it was excellent! I used it in cookies, and they came out absolutely perfect.

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 7:29 am
When nursing DD who was allergic, I used an egg replacer I bought in the health food store made from potatoes. Worked well in veg based kugels.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 9:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
Mommy3.5 has a potato kugel recipe without eggs.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kugel

We love this kugel. I don't follow the baking instructions, I just bake it until the top is browned and it comes out fine.

Lydia

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 3:25 pm
Other people mentioned flax seed. It works great! Get ground (not whole) flax seed and substitute it for egg in your normal kugel recipe: 1 tablespoon ground flax seed plus 3 tablespoons water for each egg in the recipe.

My son recently outgrew his egg allergy, but I keep making kugel with flax seed because we all like it better. Plus it's healthier!

By the way, egg replacers are often made from eggs. Be careful if you are giving it to someone who's allergic.

dochesed

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 6:13 pm
Is the flax seed only to be used for potato kugel? or other things also like lukshen kugel? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Lydia

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:02 pm
I have use ground flax seed as an egg substitute in almost all baked products. Most of the time it works really well: quick breads like banana or zuchini bread, potato and squash kugel, apple kugel, cookies, crackers. It binds well to hold the ingredients together, like eggs, and does not have a noticable taste. I tried it once in a lokshen kugel, and it wasn't so successful. It was edible, but the taste of the flax seed was discernable and the texture was a little weirdly grainy. I've tried it in challah, but there are plenty of eggless challah/bread recipes that I prefer, and my two year old was not thrilled with the little dark flakes in his challah.

dochesed

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:46 pm
Thanks Lydia

cutekids

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 12:12 pm
I always use subsitutions for eggs:
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp vinagar
for each egg.
works beautifully in any cake type of kugel, muffin, cakes, cookies ect..
not as great in potato kugel but I have used it.
I also use parve sour cream instead of recipes that call for mayo.
Enjoy life sells a box of egg replacer, that does not contain eggs. You can buy it online or a health food store.

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 12:18 pm
Just made a zuchinni-tomato gratin from KBD for Shabbos. It uses zuchinni, tomato, an onion, olive oil, margarine, salt & pepper & breadcrumbs as a topping-I used cornflake crumbs though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes