Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Genesha (female Lubavitch name)

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 6:55 pm
Calling all the name scholars!

I've only ever heard this name among Lubavitchers (as Neshe, Ganessa, G'nesha and other variations), and would like to know how on EARTH such a name became Jewish.

Is it related at all to the Hindu elephant-headed deity (in the way that some say Queen Esther's name is related to the goddess Ishtar), or completely different?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 7:05 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

I've only ever heard this name among Lubavitchers (as Neshe, Ganessa, G'nesha and other variations), and would like to know how on EARTH such a name became Jewish.

Is it related at all to the Hindu elephant-headed deity (in the way that some say Queen Esther's name is related to the goddess Ishtar), or completely different?

There are quite a number of non chabad geneshas. I can rattle off a few right here in Monsey (admittedly, one large family has geneshas, but there are others as well. No clue about the source though.

Sudy

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 7:12 pm
Delete

Last edited by Sudy on Sun, Apr 07 2013, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 7:23 pm
The name is from Gnendel and much older than chassidis.
Gnendel is a machlokes. From Gan Eden, gnadige (honoured), or Gnana (grandmother)

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 8:10 pm
The Gnesha's in Monsey are all related. It's a family name and they do have Lubavitch roots, but not sure if thats where the name originates from.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 5:08 am
I know Geneshas not from Monsey, but they're all descended from the same Genesha as the Monsey ones.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 5:57 am
bigsis144 wrote:

This was my first thought.

Raizle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 6:05 am
I'm Lubavitch and never heard of the name in Lubavitch. Actually I've barely heard of the name at all.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 6:05 am
We have genessa in the family. I was told that it comes not from Genendel but originally from something having to do with (I forget the greek term) love of G-d...anyhow it is translated into English as "grace" and into Hebrew often as "yedida" or "yedidya" for a boy.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 8:35 am
It doesn't sound Greek, and I don't recognize the root for love or G-d...

freidasima

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:18 am
My mistake, asked Dh now and he said that from the German Genuesse (or something that sounds like that ) whose root is friend as in friend of the Lord, hence Yedida or Yedidya in Hebrew...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:32 am
Interesting! can you ask him if it's an old German word? I also do not recognize it, but am losing my German by the day...

Sudy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:37 am
freidasima wrote:
My mistake, asked Dh now and he said that from the German Genuesse (or something that sounds like that ) whose root is friend as in friend of the Lord, hence Yedida or Yedidya in Hebrew...

My family is Russian for generations back. Absolutly no connection to German Jews/German language.

I dont think this is the real meaning.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:43 am
Aren't there Russian Ber, Shayna, Golda, Mushka, Mendel...?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names