Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Communities in NJ

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:58 am
Can anyone give me a rundown on the different communities there? Preferably not too big or too yeshivish. But not too modern either. Any ideas?

crl

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 1:00 pm
Off the top of my head, from north to south, here is what I know:

Teaneck - Large, mostly modern with a few patches of more right-wing.
Bergenfield - Large-ish, extremely expensive. More right wing.
Fair Lawn - Smaller, closer-knit comminity, mostly modern and "Just Plain Frum".
Passaic - Large, more yeshivish but has a mix of modern yeshivish, just plain from, in-town and out of town mentalities. You'd have to speak to someone who lives there to get more info.
Paramus - very small community, I think its a mix of people but unsure
Springfield - same as paramus
West Orange - Large-ish, modern with a mix of people, dont know too much about it but have spent shabbos there and it is very nice. However, main shul is on a busy street where many people get hit and there are lots of hills.
Highland Park/Edison - Large-ish, patches and areas of pretty much everyone, yeshivish, modern, just plain frum. I grew up here and can give more info if you want.
East Brunswick - Small - 15 min from HP/Edison, so you have all their resources but has fewer "right wing" people. Mix, some very modern, some not, some unaffiliated or not very affiliated. Depends. Very nice Young Israel there.
Twin Rivers/East Windsor - Mix of hashkafas, but really nice, warm, small community. It's essentially feels like a housing complex but I don't think it is. Very warm, friendly shul and people.
Lakewood - Huge, primarily yeshivish, but Ive never lived there so ask someone who lives there. I believe there are areas with more modern people but I am not sure.
Cherry Hill - Mix of just plain frum and modern and unaffiliated Jews. Very nice, divided into 2 sides, don't know much about it right now but I know the Sons of Israel shul is VERY nice and accommodating and welcoming.

If anyone else has any information to add, or if I forgot any let me know. I was very involved in NCSY and visited many of these communities so I am telling as much as I can based on spending a few Shabbosim there.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:17 pm
Elizabeth-- sounds like would fit OP's needs.
Linden

jba

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:22 pm
I'm in Livingston. Let me know if you would like details.

MillerFamily

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 1:33 am
yes, definetly check out Elizabeth!!!! not too big or too small, not too modern or too yeshivish.

JEC Elmora Ave shul Website

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 10:29 pm
I live in elizabeth, have for the last twenty years, I'd be more than happy to answer questions, off the top of my head, I can't think straight, but it's nice community, we have pizza, chinese, burger place, and a kosher dunkin dounuts, also the costco near us has amazing kosher cheeses and such, and deli. shop rit has a kosher guy fish/meat, oh, and we have the kosher store, which is kinda like mini makolet style,
elizabeth is also 20=40 mins away from most of those other towns, and 30 min train ride to NYC brklyn also very close, we got teh largest outlet mall in the state, plus there are like 4 or 5 other malls within 30 mins drive, the people are warm friendly, we do have "two sides" and now each side has a rabbi, but we're still ONE community, and we still alll folllow Rav E.M. Teitz . the school system has changed a bunch since I went there... so I don't know much, but I can put u in touch with ppl who are in it, and we also have a local YMYWHA which has camp and day care, and there are other options for came etc, but it's nice to be local also. --- now I don't know about all the things abt yeshivish or modern or what not but I can tell you, that most of ppl I know are jews, who live in 2012, there is a kollel on the other side of town, and a chabad, but we're all part of elizabeth. I think the Rav's father zt"l who built the comuminity said it's a torah community who lives in the modern world... I think I'm rambling a bit, but I really love my city and when I saw that it was mentioned, I had to say something. I mean, I can call up our mayor and he will call me back. where else can you get that?

vicki

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 11:42 pm
Another shout out to Elizabeth. I love it here. Love the people. Not too large, not too small, incredibly friendly and warm and I have everything I need or want right in town or a short drive away.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 11:58 pm
crl wrote:

Passaic - Large, more yeshivish but has a mix of modern yeshivish, just plain from, in-town and out of town mentalities. You'd have to speak to someone who lives there to get more info.

You describe it very well although coming from NY I can't believe we're considered "Large" LOL it's all relative I suppose
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating