Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dyscalculia
1  2  Next

tzatza

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:21 am
Has anyone had their child/ren tested for it?

TIA

marina

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:39 am
it just means math trouble. Don't really have to test for it. If your kid is smart but has trouble with calculations, he's got dyscalculia. That's what the word means.

Last edited by marina on Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

middy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:06 am
yep. my daughter's in 7th grade. Tested at 12th grade level in reading, writing, history and 3rd grade level in math. I take that to mean this is what she has

tzatza

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:58 am
middy wrote:
yep. my daughter's in 7th grade. Tested at 12th grade level in reading, writing, history and 3rd grade level in math. I take that to mean this is what she has

If you dont mind me asking, how do you address this issue?

middy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:10 am
For math -she gets services in her school that is paid for by the board of ed. This is done during regular math class.
For all other subjects - we supplement her class work! Very Happy

tzatza

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:28 am
middy wrote:
For math -she gets services in her school that is paid for by the board of ed. This is done during regular math class.
For all other subjects - we supplement her class work! Very Happy

Do you find those services helpful?
Also, who did the testing?

TIA

middy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:08 am
Testing was done by the board of ed and they pay for the services.
I find it very helpful, she doesn't miss any other classwork and it's instead of regular math class which she would be lost in

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:57 am
My DH is dyscalculic. It's not just "bad math skills". Would you call dyslexia "bad reading skills"? And we're pretty sure DS#1 has it too, but we've been told he's too young to test for another year or so still.

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:59 am
My parents had me tested when I was younger. I was retested again in college. I had weekly tutors in elementary school and attended summer school classes every summer (but I'd attend a mix of really fun classes, one math class, and a number of classes that in retrospect were 'math related'; I think most years I took arts and crafts/pottery, baking (math/measurements related), math, and soccer).

I worked REALLY really really hard. I was sometimes in regular math classes, sometimes in accelerated classes, a couple of times I was even in honors math.

As an adult, I take certain shortcuts that makes life easier. I use a GPS in order to avoid getting lost. I worked really hard to learn to read clocks, but I still prefer the digital ones. I have all phone numbers plugged into my cellphone and homephone. When I need a new number I try to get a business card or have someone else plug it into my phone so that I don't accidentally invert numbers. I bring a calculator when I go shopping and I give myself extra time.

Do I have slip ups? Yep. Are some of them worse than others? Yep. But I live life anyway. I got married. I have children. I have an excellent career. I graduated from undergrad on the Dean's List and I currently have a 3.89 GPA in grad school. I just make sure to have DH help me (ok, he usually needs to do it) balance the checkbook, he typically pays the bills (or rechecks to make sure I didn't accidentally throw an extra zero or invert a line of numbers somewhere) and he deals with taxes.

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:05 am
Middy -
I was like your daughter. I tested above grade level for language, reading, and history. Math and certain sciences were below grade level. I'd always find it frustrating that reading and writing were easy, but I couldn't rewrite a line of telephone numbers without copying something down wrong.

middy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:25 am
Marion wrote:
My DH is dyscalculic. It's not just "bad math skills". Would you call dyslexia "bad reading skills"? And we're pretty sure DS#1 has it too, but we've been told he's too young to test for another year or so still.

I agree. my son before her is dyslexic so I have experience with both. There are definitely ways their brains work similarly.They both think in pictures too.

middy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:26 am
cbsmommy wrote:
Middy -
I was like your daughter. I tested above grade level for language, reading, and history. Math and certain sciences were below grade level. I'd always find it frustrating that reading and writing were easy, but I couldn't rewrite a line of telephone numbers without copying something down wrong.

Good to hear! This is very inspiring!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:06 pm
Thank you cbsmommy for sharing your success! I just had my daughter (1st grade) evaluated and we found out today that she has dyscalculia. It's such a relief to know that someone with it can turn out just fine and have such a good life (although, of course, with a lot of work along the way). It's so important to people in the tunnel to know there really is a light at the end.

finprof

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:33 pm
I have several dyscalculia (and dyslexia too). It’s not an issue of not being able to understand mathematical concepts; it’s an issue of memory recall and processing. I can't do "basic math" ie add, subtract, multiply or divide so I can't figure out a tip or read a clock but I have my Ph.D. in finance (so obviously algebra and calc were no problem).

The "test" is called a psychoeducational evaluation. It’s actually a series of tests which examine your reading, math, memorization and processing abilities. In the US they are given free to children in public school if their teachers suggest they be evaluated. You can also have one done privately for $1,000-$2000.

The “treatments” vary but basically students are taught math via the use of manipulatives (blocks, computer games, rulers etc.) and repetitive practices rather than memorization. The goal is to get around the processing difficulty to allow the student to master the concept.
If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

finprof

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:38 pm
cbs- I totally could have written your post (excypt that I have to do the taxes so I have to tell DH what numbers to type)! Oh, and I've never suceesssfully activated a credit or debit card over the phone- all this numbers to enter Sad

mandr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:39 pm
Dyscalculia gets me all mad:
It's so hard to subtract or to add.
On a test: 4 x 4 ____
I wrote "Truck." Teacher swore.
Now I'm tutored in math by my dad.

r_ch

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 3:15 pm
Oh my, I wrote a novel and it got lost! Here we go again.

My eldest was tested and confirmed. We knew it all along since she was about 3 because her eye measurements were not even approximately there. She couldn't say how many objects there are without counting if they were more than 3 at a time.

How we address the issue. It's not going to be better. Period. Every time she goes shopping we go through possible sums and change because she can't do it on her own. Sometimes she can but it's unpredictable. It's a condition to accept and to live with. There are calculators, b"H.

School. At first she had individual maths going back in years and doing the same things time and again waiting for improvement. There was no improvement and doing additions and substractions all your school years is boring. They didn't let her go further and explore maths which I find a pity because manths can be beautiful and it gives you another dimension. This year we got lucky with a new teacher.
We planned idividual lessons again but the teacher wanted to get to know my DD in class so she asked to see her for a couple of days. Then there was another week. Then she said she was quite satisfied with her eagerness to get there and effort she was making. So my DD stayed in class and is getting along just great! I mean, she's allowed to use a calculator but has to work with the concept they are learning. There were papers she wrote on a really very good level and in real time although her usual mark is defined by her effort. It's stated in the official letter accompanying her report. Can you say I'm happy?Smile

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:54 pm
Marion wrote:

I have it. my best friend has been balancing my personal checkbook for 30 years. I get left and right confused. I cannot do any sort of "step" aerobics, or anything that needs me to stick to a beat. I cannot remember names. I invert numbers. I cannot divide at all. I can add, multiply sometimes, and sorta subtract. I cannot remember how to make tips in restaurants no matter how many times people try to teach me.

when I was tested, privately in NYC in 80s, the tester felt that if I never had to take math again that would be a good thing. (I was already in high school.)

dyscalculia is likely why I did not pursue a career in mental health care: math needed to get into all the programs, at least at the time.

however, I am otherwise a normal adult. I have a calculator, good friends, and an understanding DH.

marina

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 5:57 pm
Marion wrote:

uh, yes. Dyslexia means difficulty reading. Dyscalculia means difficulty calculating.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 6:08 pm
Anyone with children with dyscalculia, are you familiar with touchmath? Did you find it helpful?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children