Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Which of these 3 cookies do you like best?
1  2  3  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:52 pm
They're sugar cookies with fondant and chocolate tefillins.

- The square ones where I wrote Mazel Tov with an edible marker.

- The plain square ones.

- The circle one.

The stick of margarine is for size reference; they're tiny and cute. Which one should I make more of? I've been looking at them for too long to decide! (Should I call my rav? Just kidding!)

TIA Very Happy

jzmom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:56 pm
I really like the ones that say Mazal Tov!

(ask your Rabbi...that was a great line Smile )

jaysmom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:56 pm
mazal tov ones. They are all beautiful though. Good job!

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:57 pm
Are they for shabbos? Forget the words then, too difficult to eat around or all at once. I like the round ones with the tfilin and no marker.

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:58 pm
mazel tov ones!

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:00 pm
freidasima wrote:
Are they for shabbos? Forget the words then, too difficult to eat around or all at once. I like the round ones with the tfilin and no marker.

Really? I think I learned it is ok to eat words written on food.

OP, I think you still need to call your rav then Very Happy Confused

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:03 pm
FS, it's about 1.5" square; you can pop the whole thing in your mouth, and no shailah (AFAIK) about eating words derech achilah, only about cutting it with a knife or other kli.

I think it would be really cool to write Mazel Tov with royal icing, but I'm going to stick with the marker as it's so much faster.

Thanks everyone! I'll do half square with Mazel Tov and the other half circles!

P.S. Did I invite y'all yet to the kiddush? Rabbi Weiss' shul in Baltimore, parshas Mishpatim, please come:)

sarachana

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:14 pm
the ones that say MAZAL TOV are adorable!

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:14 pm
Square with mazel tov if ok on Shabbos.
You're doing a great job with all these fancy things.
I'll have to remember to talk to you b4 my sons barmitzvah. Got a couple of years to go.
Hatzlacha further

sarachana

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:15 pm
another idea would be to make straps coming from the teffilin that go around to the front where the would be.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:16 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
FS, it's about 1.5" square; you can pop the whole thing in your mouth, and no shailah (AFAIK) about eating words derech achilah, only about cutting it with a knife or other kli.

I think it would be really cool to write Mazel Tov with royal icing, but I'm going to stick with the marker as it's so much faster.

Thanks everyone! I'll do half square with Mazel Tov and the other half circles!

P.S. Did I invite y'all yet to the kiddush? Rabbi Weiss' shul in Baltimore, parshas Mishpatim, please come:)

Hmm...my husband is the regular leiner at R' Weiss' shul; I guess he has the week of Mishpatim off! (the nice thing is that they pay him anyways :-). I'd actually love to come and finally meet you!

myself

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:17 pm
No fair. You've been posting a ton of pictures of all your exciting creations and non of them seem to show up on my computer... I feel awfully left out! Twisted Evil

Very Happy I bet you're one great cook!

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:22 pm
IS there a special tefilin shaped chocolate, or did you just use chocolate squares from a regular bar?

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:34 pm
I love the mazal tov ones for a weekday kiddush, but would stick with the square ones without the mazal tov for Shabbos.

Some hold it is totally fine to eat the words since you can't take them off and it is derech acheila, but there are opinions like the Shulchan Orach HaRav that hold that eating letters/words is ussur, even recessed into or written on in such a way that they can't be taken off.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:40 pm
I called my rav! He answered on the first ring and said it's fine if people will eat it, but not if they need to cut it!

I used a chocolate mold for the tefillin that I bought from Chana Eichorn here who sells fancy baking things.

Tova, you know me via facebook, I just don't know if you know that I'm T&P.

If photos aren't showing up on your computer, can you use another computer? Are you at work? Do you have a home computer or smart phone?

Does anyone think that the Mazel Tov makes the cookie less classy, as it's handwritten rather than typed or stenciled in?

yummymummy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:45 pm
The circle one looks the most professional in your picture and I like SaraChana's idea about making straps coming from the teffilin that go around to the front where the words would be.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:51 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I called my rav! He answered on the first ring and said it's fine if people will eat it, but not if they need to cut it!

I used a chocolate mold for the tefillin that I bought from Chana Eichorn here who sells fancy baking things.

Tova, you know me via facebook, I just don't know if you know that I'm T&P.

If photos aren't showing up on your computer, can you use another computer? Are you at work? Do you have a home computer or smart phone?

Does anyone think that the Mazel Tov makes the cookie less classy, as it's handwritten rather than typed or stenciled in?

I sure did once you posted the pictures of your cookies to facebook!

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:51 pm
yummymummy wrote:
The circle one looks the most professional in your picture and I like SaraChana's idea about making straps coming from the teffilin that go around to the front where the words would be.

In that case she would need to use only one chocolate pro cookie, wouldnt she?
I think it would be classier if the tefillins were parallel

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:56 pm
The "mazel tov" ones are amazing. Actually they all are, but those look most finished and polished. I am always amazed when people put this kind of detail into cookies and treats. It looks like so much work. I'd be serving plain old chocolate chip, lol! You're very talented (and patient).

yummymummy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 3:59 pm
imaima wrote:
yummymummy wrote:

In that case she would need to use only one chocolate pro cookie, wouldnt she?
I think it would be classier if the tefillins were parallel

you're right, that might get too crowded. OK, half of the cookies with one tefillin and straps and half with the parallel tefillin and no straps! Very Happy
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics