Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Would You Wear a Jumper Gown?
1  2  3  Next

Pandoramom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:30 pm
A sleeveless gown that would need a shell underneath, would you rent such a gown? How about for your daughters? Up until what age if you wouldn't? Also would you wear a floor length gown, if not until what age would you? What colors do you most want to get?

I just opened a gown rental store (for sizes 12 girls to 12 ladies) and am about to finalize a large order. All of my gowns so far have only been sleeveless with straps (about 1.5 cm straps) because I find the sleeves tend to make the gowns look ugly. You would be doing me a tremendous kindness to help me by answering these questions. Also, what is the most you would consider paying for a beautiful gown (including tax and the cost of the cleaners), the shell is not included. TIA!!

September June

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:34 pm
I personally wouldn't rent a jumper gown, I would only rent because gowns with sleeves are so difficult to find.
I also find that a shell usually cheapens the look of a gown.
If I would ever want to go the shell route, I would buy a gown at a local department store which would come out cheaper than a rental.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:55 pm
I generally prefer to find something with sleeves. I don't like the shell-under-sleeveless look at all.

Alef Bais

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:01 am
I agree with the above poster. If I wanted a jumper gown, any department store would have that. Why rent one from a rental when you can find them for great deals on sale?

I happened to buy a jumper gown when I was gown-searching for my s-I-l's wedding. I loved it (except for the color - it was white with silver accents). My husband did not agree with it. He thought it was too 'nightgown' style. I returned it to the store and managed to find a stunning gown with sleeves from a gemach instead.

Pandoramom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:24 am
The difference between my gowns and the dept. store is that my gowns don't require any alterations. They aren't strapless, they aren't low in the back, they aren't corset style in the back as is very popular now, they don't have a sweetheart style (cleavage enhancing style), they aren't low cut in the front. It's very hard to find a gown that will still look nice with a shell unless you pay alot to have it fixed up. My gowns are ready to wear, all you need is the shell. So if you don't want to wear a shell can you please explain why and your age if you think that has something to do with it.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:30 am
I would rent it, if it looked good on me. A few years ago I thought that shells under sleeveless dresses looked cheap, but I am now totally used to the look.

And you're right, OP, it is really difficult good dresses/gowns in department stores. I just spent weeks looking for a dress (or gown that I would have cut shorter) for my son's bar mitzvah, and almost all the dresses in department stores have very low necklines/ one shoulder/ strapless/ or corset styles - none of which I'd wear with a shell!

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:45 am
I would not wear a gown like that.

Shells under nice dresses is a verrrry difficult look to pull off... most of the time, it looks haphazard and thrown-together. Age is a definite factor... it looks better on teenagers/sem girls or younger women who dress trendy. On an older woman, it just looks ridiculous.

I think the classier way to tznius-ize a dress is with a shrug sweater with a high neckline... maybe black or a metallic thread.. or a bolero jacket.

chani30

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:50 am
I would rent it for my girls. it doesn't matter the age it has to look good on if a child is heavy it might not look good the color now in style is navy jumper with a black shell (cheap) u don't need to rent the shell

Strawberry

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:20 am
I agree with previous posters. I would NEVER rent a gown that needed a shell. I can (and have!) buy a gown online for much cheaper than a rental.

The gown I bought needed no alterations and was just under $200. Oh and I own it now so I can wear it many times.

Unless you are offering really cheap prices ($50 all inclusive maybe?), I don't see why I would even think about renting such a gown.

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:24 am
Me too. I would much rather buy from a department store than rent. Then you have it in your closet if you ever need it again.
Besides, it's so much fun to shop for gowns in a department store!!!

lizard8

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:10 am
I wear gowns like you describe. I know many people who like to rent, but I prefer to buy. B'h I have a big family and a lot of simchas. I don't mind wearing a gown a few times.
I know people who only want to wear something once, or they don't have too many weddings to invest in buying. There are people looking for a rental like you describe.
Where are you located? What are your competitors charging? If you are new, you should charge less to get new clients.

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:16 am
lizard8 wrote:
I wear gowns like you describe. I know many people who like to rent, but I prefer to buy. B'h I have a big family and a lot of simchas. I don't mind wearing a gown a few times.
I know people who only want to wear something once, or they don't have too many weddings to invest in buying. There are people looking for a rental like you describe.
Where are you located? What are your competitors charging? If you are new, you should charge less to get new clients.

But many times it ends up being cheaper to buy than to rent.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:24 am
Sometimes you can find something appropriate in the mother-of-the-bride section of dept stores.

Also, I agree with ewa-jo: a bolero jacket is a more grown-up alternative to a shell when wearing something sleeveless. Just make sure it doesn't gap when you more around. Sometimes you can also find a nice side-tie jacket piece.

Perhaps if you offer some of these in avariety of matching colors, you can tzniusize sleeveless dresses for your clientelle.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:20 am
mizle10 wrote:
lizard8 wrote:

But many times it ends up being cheaper to buy than to rent.

I have the gown I bought for my college graduation formal.... in 1997!!!

I wore it to BIL's wedding 2 years ago and got piles of complements. (a long-sleeved, high-neck gwn I found in a department store)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:25 am
For girls I would rent a gown. I am not sure about myself though.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:39 am
I would never rent a gown that needed a shell either. I'm in my mid 30s, I dress fully tsnius but modern/stylish/trendy. I know there are frum women who wear them but I think of it as a desperate solution to tsnius, not as a first choice for a simcha.

The whole point of going to a frum store is that you hope things are tsnius with proper necklines and sleeves. It's not hard to find what you described you're selling (no corsets or super lowcut) in a department store. There are tons of Nordstrom gowns that women post on here all the time.

You mentioned length and colors...I wear all colors but rarely black. You're just going to have to stock a variety. I would wear long only if it was my own child's wedding or a very formal black tie event.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:55 am
I might rent something spectacular, like this (assuming it had sleeves):

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/pr.....10764

But I wouldn't rent a pedestrian gown that I could pick up in a department store. I wouldn't be able to alter it to fit me precisely, and really, unless you're charging $25, chances are I can find something at a similar price point, particularly as I could wear it again (or sell it).

And while I know that a lot of people here do wear shells under formal dresses, I would never, ever, ever do so. To me, it usually looks sloppy, like a little girl trying on mom's clothes, or a frum girl who wants to pretend that she'd not tzniut, but really is.

Depressed

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:58 am
Barbara wrote:

But I wouldn't rent a pedestrian gown that I could pick up in a department store. I wouldn't be able to alter it to fit me precisely, and really, unless you're charging $25, chances are I can find something at a similar price point, particularly as I could wear it again (or sell it).

And while I know that a lot of people here do wear shells under formal dresses, I would never, ever, ever do so. To me, it usually looks sloppy, like a little girl trying on mom's clothes, or a frum girl who wants to pretend that she'd not tzniut, but really is.

This link would be nice foir a hs play, it looks very Gone With The Wind

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:58 am
September June wrote:
I personally wouldn't rent a jumper gown, I would only rent because gowns with sleeves are so difficult to find.
I also find that a shell usually cheapens the look of a gown.
If I would ever want to go the shell route, I would buy a gown at a local department store which would come out cheaper than a rental.

I totally agree. I would never rent a gown that I had to wear a shell underneath. The point of renting a gown is to get a classy, tznius gown and shells cheapen the look.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:06 am
Depressed wrote:
Barbara wrote:

This link would be nice foir a hs play, it looks very Gone With The Wind

Scarlett never wore strapless.

Sorry you don't like my taste. Lucky for your budget not to like $6,500 Elie Saab gowns, or to confuse them with cheap carp.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics