Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Would You Wear a Jumper Gown?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

farm

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:19 am
When I went with a friend to help her pick out gowns for her flower girl daughters, the children gemach had mainly jumper gowns like you are describing (shells included in the fee), very few with sleeves. The adult gemach did not have jumpers. I think people would rent them for their teenagers and younger, not for mature adults. In addition, if I would consider renting a jumper gown from a gemach instead of putting it together myself from a department store as others have mentioned, there is NO WAY I would rent it from you if you are not including the matching shell! What a pain- now I have to run around finding the exact matching shade to the gown after I already invested time and money trying on and choosing a gown from a rental store? The whole point of spending more on a rental is so that someone else is taking care of every last detail of the gown, from alterations to cleaning, etc. and I can just pick it up the day before the wedding and be ready to go.

Pandoramom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:25 am
My gowns are absolutely gorgeous, if I do say so myself. They are not the kind of gowns that you buy online for $200, not even close. I get calls every day asking for gowns, my point in asking this question was in whether I should be giving some people the option to have a more covered up look. I am trying to understand if most people prefer shells or not and why. Is age a factor, is weight a factor? I do not really cater to mother of the brides, but mainly girls and young women. Still, I do not want to lose out on a large customer base by only offering shell-only gowns.

I do have to say that shells definitely do not cheapen the way my gowns look, they look perfectly appropriate. Perhaps some of you are thinking about gowns with spaghetti straps, yes that looks funny or worse strapless gowns worn with a shell (!), I've seen that and it looks awful.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:24 pm
I did wear a jumper gown to DCs' weddings. The gemachs I went to didn't have plus sizes. There were some beautiful skirts, and tops, but going way over budget, so I bought a lovely gown at Macy's, with flattering ruching and wore it with a shell. I was at a number of chasunas since with mothers and sisters wearing shells, and not because they were plus sized.

That said, I would rather not do it. A few issues:
Matching or coordinating the shell. Dyeing shells is not cheap, or simple.
I don't like the tight sleeve look on me, leaving aside possible tznius concerns (CYLOR). I wore a shell that wasn't as loose as I would have liked.
As beautiful as the jumper gown-shells I've seen were, I just like the full gown or two piece better. This is my taste, for me, what makes me feel pretty. YMMV, and may change with age. (Little girls in a gown with shell? Just as adorable IMO.)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:36 pm
I wouldn't wear floor length unless I'm the kalla. Too odd or Purim-y.

I wear sleeveless, short sleeved, strappy, corset/no shoulder dresses or tops with shells all the time. It's very common here.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:44 pm
[quote="Ruchel"]I wouldn't wear floor length unless I'm the kalla. Too odd or Purim-y.]

In the US and other places gowns are common. I've worn floor length skirts to nephew/nieces chasunas, but not as fancy as a sister, MOB or G.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:52 pm
I happen to like the look of the chiffon jumpers with a shell better then a stiff gown. Its also easier to move (arms can actaully go all the way up) and to nurse.

bandcm

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:10 pm
In my opinion, anything with a shell underneath looks cheap and patched together, unless you are six and are wearing a pinafore dress which was made to be a pinafore dress.
I know people say, no, but some gowns look really good with a shell - sorry, in my opinion, nothing will ever look good with a shell, unless it has BEEN MADE to be worn with one (and yes, you can always, but always, tell).
I bought a sleeveless gown that came with a shawl of same fabric, and when I was in Israel, took it to a really good seamstress to make the shawl into sleeves. The neckline was naturally high, just sleeveless. She said, but why don't you just wear a nice white or black or cream shell (the gown was deep purple!). I just looked at her and said ugh! She made the sleeves, charged me an arm and a leg and it looked beautiful, as opposed to tacky.
So, OP, no, I would never rent or wear a gown with a shell underneath. I am under thirty.

ntm1

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:27 pm
Im in my mid-twenties and if the gown would not cost too much I would definately rent a jumper gown- but that's ONLY if it came with a matching shell. A lot of these jumper gown's I've seen at weddings are gorgeous.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:38 pm
It is next to impossible to find tzanua clothing - but putting a shell underneath doesn't solve the problem. They always look awful, and I don't think skin-tight tops are appropriate in general. OP, if you can find truly tzanua gowns to rent, that would be a great business!

As far as whether you are losing out on a large customer base by offering only gowns that require shells - well, for better or worse, wearing a shell has become both acceptable and fashionable for whatever reasons in many frum communities, so I'm not sure how much business you are losing.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:43 pm
In my experience, when places rent sleeveless gowns that need shells they also rent the shells with it.

While I don't personally care for the look, it is very popular with the under 40 crowd. I was just at a NY area chasuna and most of the sisters/sisters-in-law of the chosson & kallah wore that style.

I don't think your rentals will be very popular though unless you also have the matching shells.

ally

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:50 pm
I also would never wear a gown with a shell underneath. It just doesn't look right.
Sometimes a bolero can work.
Its very difficult to take a non-tznius gown and make it look tznius and good at the same time.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:07 pm
I have never rented a gown before, but personally, I wouldn't feel that I was renting a complete gown unless it had sleeves. I don't really care for the "jumper" look on a formal gown. It just doesn't look completed.

farfromhome

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:34 pm
I think it's fine, but I would make a deal with the lady who dyes shells for a good discount for your customers.

yksraya

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:41 pm
I used a jumper gown to my sisters wedding. and also a maternity jumper to my brothers wedding. I bought it, didn't rent. If I'd rent I'd get one with sleeves.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:47 pm
Much better than dying shells. -go to certain shops= BCBG outlet for example, buy two dresses of the same fabric, make a new top from the waist up with the second gown, and you have a gorgeous stunning tznius dress,

For example bcbg dress

buy two of them and make a gorgeous stunning dress. Now, this one is full price, but you can sometimes find similar dresses at the outlet for up 60-80% off full price. I did this once, I paid less than $200 dollars both the dresses, found an amazing seamstress to put them together- for $100 and for less than $300 I had a dress that had beading on it, pleating by the waist and a million other details that would have cost me over $1000 to make from scratch.

That's a good business,

Oh and I don't wear formal wear with anything underneath, if I can't tailor it to become tzenua it's not for me.

My mom's motto always was- behind every tznius women is a brilliant seamstress.

Pandoramom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:42 pm
I don't have a problem to carry shells, but I didn't think anyone would want to rent a shell that someone danced in and sweated in all night, even after a good cleaning.

yksraya

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:45 pm
Pandoramom wrote:
I don't have a problem to carry shells, but I didn't think anyone would want to rent a shell that someone danced in and sweated in all night, even after a good cleaning.

maybe sell the shells.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:46 pm
Pandoramom wrote:

It seems that other places do it without having a problem.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:47 pm
I wouldn't wear such a dress.
It is extremely hard to make a sleeveless gown look as fancy with a shell underneath.
Black and black maybe but other than that it cheapens the look.
For a little flower girl such as http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....3,s:0 can look nice on a little girl with a same color (white or cream) shell or a matching color cardigan (very in in the UK, all flower girl dresses for little girls come with matching cardigans).

For an older girl or a lady it just doesn't go.
Such a gown: http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....s:134 its gonna be impossible to find a nice matching color shell for underneath and you can still see that it is was meant to be a sleeveless dress.

If you can tailor it to make it look tznius and it will look good maybe, but even then not every seamstress does such a great job. We are actually lucky right now it is really fashionable to have sleeveless gowns with lace covering the neck and arms similar to kate middelton's gown : http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....5,s:0

If I was renting I would want something ready tznius and looking good.

As a side note my sisters wore by my wedding brown gowns with cream shells...it looked gorgeous but it was not the same look as a full on tznius gown. Then again the american style of tznius gowns is not at all the style in uk.

farfromhome

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:17 pm
yeah, I wouldn't rent out the shells - so gross after people sweat in it! but I would either sell shells or get a discount for those who want ones dyed to match exactly...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics