Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Would You Wear a Jumper Gown?
Previous  1  2  3

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:25 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Pandoramom wrote:
I don't have a problem to carry shells, but I didn't think anyone would want to rent a shell that someone danced in and sweated in all night, even after a good cleaning.

It seems that other places do it without having a problem.

How does that differ from renting out a dress that someone danced in and sweated in all night?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:50 pm
I'm mid-20's. I rented a floor length dress for my brother's wedding that was actually made to be worn with a shell, and I rented it together with the shell in the exact matching material and color, which was included in the price. I got the dress shortened and the shell sleeves taken out. I wouldn't have rented it if I had to buy and dye my own shell. I have no problem renting a shell, as long as it doesn't smell. (I think I can write a poem).

OP, you keep asking the same question, but I think you've gotten some answers. Many people would only rent tzniusdig gowns with sleeves. So, yes, by offering only gowns hat need shells you are limiting your clientele. Furthermore, even those who are younger who would wear the shell look want to have the shells really match, especially if your gowns are as stunning as you describe, something that cannot be bought on sale at a department store, etc.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:53 pm
This whole thing does make me wonder if there is a business in creating and renting tzniut dresses. Say, having them made by one of those custom dress companies, or buying complementary fabric and having tops made or altered so that they're an integral part of the dress.

runninglate

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:58 pm
I would ( and actually did ) wear a jumper gown with a shell, but I really dont like the look. It is so much less elegant than a gown with sleeves. And gowns with sleeves would bring customers to your rental as opposed to buying online or in dept stores. But the jumper look is in now, so why dont you carry both?

September June

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 5:13 pm
Barbara wrote:
This whole thing does make me wonder if there is a business in creating and renting tzniut dresses. Say, having them made by one of those custom dress companies, or buying complementary fabric and having tops made or altered so that they're an integral part of the dress.

I know of people who do this.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:34 pm
Quote:
In my opinion, anything with a shell underneath looks cheap and patched together, unless you are six and are wearing a pinafore dress which was made to be a pinafore dress.
I know people say, no, but some gowns look really good with a shell - sorry, in my opinion, nothing will ever look good with a shell, unless it has BEEN MADE to be worn with one (and yes, you can always, but always, tell).
I bought a sleeveless gown that came with a shawl of same fabric, and when I was in Israel, took it to a really good seamstress to make the shawl into sleeves. The neckline was naturally high, just sleeveless. She said, but why don't you just wear a nice white or black or cream shell (the gown was deep purple!). I just looked at her and said ugh! She made the sleeves, charged me an arm and a leg and it looked beautiful, as opposed to tacky.
So, OP, no, I would never rent or wear a gown with a shell underneath. I am under thirty.

I don't really have the option of renting gowns since I live in a place with no gemachs. For one wedding, I bought a gown with a matching shawl which I took to a (highly recommended) seamstress and had her make it into a bolero type top. end result - terrible. She did an awful job and it cost me a lot of money.

next wedding - found a long black shiny skirt (taffeta?), really beautiful. Found a lace jacket to go on top and wore it with a black shell for wedding. Looked great and was very flattering.

for the next wedding I had gained some weight so this did not fit. I found a beautiful skirt and matching sleeveless top in a dark red. All on sale for a great price, plus some matching shawls. (I bought 2 in case I decided to have sleeves made) But the top was a style that looked fine with a shell, and my sister had a shell that matched. I've worn this outfit for 3 weddings.

I apologize to those who think I look dorky, but I refuse to spend months of my lfe running around to seamstresses to please you. My family are not the sort who care about this sort of thing.

Anyway, op if I liked your gowns enough I would rent them, but only with a shell. I'd rather wear a shell that has been properly washed with soap and water then a gown which has been dry cleaned.

You could sell matching shells as well, or provide that option for fussy people.

honeygold

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 7:40 pm
I personally would not rent a sleeveless gown since its not worth it. I have a sleeveless gown that I bought in Macy's for about $150 and I b'h found a matching shell. If I wanted to rent a gown then I would want something with sleeves otherwise why do I need to spend the money on the rental when I can buy a sleeveless gown for the same price.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 7:48 pm
I probably wouldn't rent a jumper gown, either. I am in my early thirties. I just don't like the style and think that a really nice, tznius formal dress should have sleeves. I also dislike the Shabbos robes that have the jumper look, even though they are often sold with the matching shell.

Having said that, I would just wear nice Shabbos clothes to most simchos. If my own child was getting married, I think I could find some kind of mother-of-the-bride dress that would be appropriate without resorting to putting a shell under a dress.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 7:55 pm
Barbara wrote:
I might rent something spectacular, like this (assuming it had sleeves):

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/pr.....10764

But it says free gift with PURCHASE, Barbara, you can't afford not to!

As to renting a shell vs renting a gown ... to me a shell is more like underwear.

I have never rented a dress - such a thing doesn't exist here in Yehupitzville (although tux rentals are certainly available.) The idea fascinates me. I don't spend a lot on clothes, and love thrift stores/consignment stores, so my preference anyway would be to spend $50 on that instead.

But if you rent something that would be super expensive, like $6k Elie Saab, wouldn't you be terrified of getting a stain on it or something?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:46 pm
wow. this thread freaked me out. I have a wedding to go to in lakewood on feb. 15 and was planning on wearing a nice dress with a shell. I am short and overweight and nothing ever fits me right but the jackets over top never come up high enough and I get so hot that layers are a big mistake for me.

oh well, I guess I will just have to be the bumpkin canadian guest who wears a shell under her dress.

September June

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:50 pm
Nah. You'll fit in perfectly. Many girls and women in Lakewood wear a shell under a sleeveless dress.
Many wouldn't wear a gown with a shell if they are renting a gown and are part of the bridal party.

eschaya

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:50 pm
I have worn a gown with a shell... but I bought it.
I've also twice bought sleeveless or short-sleeve gowns at department stores and then I've had sleeves made (for about the same amount it would cost to rent a tznius gown in any NY rental or gmach). And both were flawless, impossible to tell that they had once lacked sleeves. At times you can get gowns for such good prices that you can buy two and be spared the need to match up fabric.

willow

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 4:53 am
Barbra that dress is gorgeous!! But I don't think it would look good with a shell under.

willow

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 4:55 am
[quote="Barbara"]This whole thing does make me wonder if there is a business in creating and renting tzniut dresses. Say, having them made by one of those custom dress companies, or buying complementary fabric and having tops made or altered so that they're an integral part of the dress.[/quote
For someone who is good with clothes, styling, designing this could be a fantastic way to earn a living. Think of this dress made exactly the same but with arms as part of it original design. I am not good at designing but its a really good idea.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 8:38 am
chanamiriam wrote:
wow. this thread freaked me out. I have a wedding to go to in lakewood on feb. 15 and was planning on wearing a nice dress with a shell. I am short and overweight and nothing ever fits me right but the jackets over top never come up high enough and I get so hot that layers are a big mistake for me.

oh well, I guess I will just have to be the bumpkin canadian guest who wears a shell under her dress.

Don't worry, you'll fit in just fine.

dimples

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 9:12 am
I like the look of a shell under a sleeveless dress if it is done right. The straps on the dress should be thick enough that it looks like it is supporting itself on the person, and the shell had to be the right material and shade. I rented such a gown last year for my sister's wedding and it was gorgeous. I rented it with the shell, if it wouldn't have come with it I would have been upset (the shell was the perfect shade for my gown). It was also much more comfortable to wear and dance in since my arms unrestricted.

that being said, it is true that the shell under gown look is more for the younger crowd. my mother would never wear a gown like that, and she rented a long sleeved gown from the same place. I also tried on a few gowns from that place, some with shells some with sleeves, and I ended up picking a shell one because that's what looked best on me. If you want to cater to a larger clientele, then you probably should carry both.

sky

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 11:59 am
chanamiriam wrote:

I've worn a sleeveless gown with a shell twice (in Lakewood) and I thought it looked beautiful and it was my prefferred dress. Where what you have a feel gorgeous.

Some of the more upscale shops in Lakewood are renting sleevless gowns for a fortune of money so nothing bumpkin about it all. (and even if they were not you should still wear it...)

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 12:00 pm
thanks september june and cm....
I was feeling sort of paranoid

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 12:10 pm
Pandoramom wrote:
The difference between my gowns and the dept. store is that my gowns don't require any alterations. They aren't strapless, they aren't low in the back, they aren't corset style in the back as is very popular now, they don't have a sweetheart style (cleavage enhancing style), they aren't low cut in the front. It's very hard to find a gown that will still look nice with a shell unless you pay alot to have it fixed up. My gowns are ready to wear, all you need is the shell. So if you don't want to wear a shell can you please explain why and your age if you think that has something to do with it.

I hate the look of shells under gowns on anyone over the age of 8. Your gowns will need to be altered for everyone who borrows one, its done in all rental places and gemachs, because off the rack dresses need to be fitted.

I am 30, I don't want to look like a baby, and the jumper look is IMO a babyish look. I know lots of people are wearing it now, I still think it is silly looking. I also think that the style will eventually go out and you'll be stuck with a lot of un rentable dresses.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics