Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Chanuka present for husband.....
1  2  Next

MommyEsty

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 1:17 pm
can we have some ideas please!!
I am so clueless when it comes to buying presents for him!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 1:41 pm
What kind of person is he? Does he like electronics, clothes? Is he handy around the house? maybe some tools. Does he learn alot? maybe a sefer that he needs.

rise above

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 2:29 pm
yeah, we need a clearer picture of what kind of guy he is..

I ordered a electric tie rack for dh for chanukah (from bed bath and beyond), it's the only article of clothes he's into and I think he'll appreciate it Smile

On the more spiritual side, I'm saving up to by him a set of sefarim that I know he really wants

supermom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 3:49 pm
Electrical tie rack can you come up with a picture? My sils husband is really into ties.

rise above

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 4:01 pm
I think this is the one I got

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....44966

MommyEsty

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 4:14 pm
well the reason I didn’t say what kind of guy he is, is so that I would get answers for all kinds of people so that everyone can benefit!

but my husband is a chef, hes arty, into cooking and wine, doesent have much time to learn at the moment, he has what he needs for that. hes not into gadgets at all..
last chanuka a got a apron personalised with him name and 'master chef' but I think he thought it was cheesy as it has stayed in the cupboard since!
oh and he doesent wear ties!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 4:24 pm
How about a nice spice rack or a nice set of chef knives.

MOM222

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 11:00 pm
One year I got my husband 8 little things. Each day I gave him one thing. It was cheap things, some that he could use and some just jokes that we share.

Some ideas,
mousepad, key ring, cd organizer, car orginizers, picture...

This thread should really be moved to Gift Giving so others can find it easier.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 6:20 pm
My husband is so easy to buy for. He loves a certain company tie that usually I will never go wrong with. Also, my husband would never use a tie rack bec. according to him it ruins the tie you are supposed to lay them flat. This year I saw a good deal on a briefcast that he really wanted a little bit more than half off so I bought that. But cologne is good, or a belt, men always need a belt. I even buy my husband nice shoes if I see a good deal. A scarf, a nice shirt.

Sregion28

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 6:34 pm
LOL! As I was sitting here reading this post, my husband called to me from the other room, "I want a new menorah for my birthday! And a silver atarah for my new talis." I said, "what new talis?" and he said "hint hint."
Well, now his gifts won't be a surprise but at least I know what to get him! And maybe some of you can use these ideas as well?

p.s. I have no idea what an atarah is...but im sure the man at the talis store will!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 7:35 pm
an atarah is the silver thing on top of some tallesim, it is a minhag to wear it. If your husband doesn't have one now then why would he want to start. Usually you wear it bec. your father did. It is more chasidish. When my parents were buying my husband's tallis he wanted one bec. his father did and my father got it eventhough it is so not our custom at all. An atarah is usually like 180.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 4:34 pm
rise above wrote:

I ordered a electric tie rack for dh for chanukah (from bed bath and beyond), it's the only article of clothes he's into and I think he'll appreciate it Smile

On the more spiritual side, I'm saving up to by him a set of sefarim that I know he really wants

shabbatiscoming wrote:

marion, I am with you here. I think that this family, I dont know if they are frum or not, but they are trying to get other ppl to see that chanukah is a fun holiday as well but comparing it to chrismas.

I personally think its terrible.

rise above wrote:

Yep I think the same... caused alarm bells by me

I'm a little confused, on another topic you seem to feel that the people who decorated their house for Chanukah are copying what the non jews do. On this topic you say that you give (at least to your DH) gifts for Chanukah. Isn't giving Chanukah gifts gifts also copying what the non jews do when they give x-mas gifts? Sounds a little hypocritical to me. (Not bashing you, just an observation)

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
an atarah is the silver thing on top of some tallesim, it is a minhag to wear it. If your husband doesn't have one now then why would he want to start. Usually you wear it bec. your father did. It is more chasidish. When my parents were buying my husband's tallis he wanted one bec. his father did and my father got it eventhough it is so not our custom at all. An atarah is usually like 180.

My husband wanted an atara even though his father doesn't wear one. He asked his father permission, and his father didn't care one bit.
The only thing with getting one with an atara is that you really have to get him 2 tallises because they don't wear the tallis with the silver on it during the week - it is just for shabbos. So he needs a tallis for everyday, and a tallis for shabbos with the atara.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:27 pm
ppl who dont have an atara dont have a separate one for shabbos anyway? I didnt know that.

funny story, a relative of mine, decided to be 'fancy' & got an atara on his everyday tallis too. He went to daven & they didn't daven tachanun . He was wondering why. At the end, s/o came over to him & wished him mazel tov & said thank you.

THEY THOUGHT HE WAS A CHOSSON!!!! Rolling Laughter

mind u, he was married for quite a few yrs already!

He took off the atara from his everyday pretty quickly!

MOM222

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:48 pm
There are people that wear an atara in the weekday. They even sell atar's that are smaller, not as fancy for those for shabbos.

cl

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:38 am
I like the belt idea. DH really needs a new belt.
Im trying to think what I got him in the past...
one year as a fun present I got him fluffy-monster feet slippers. my mum got him a really nice scarf last year. he's also a chef an just treated himself to a brand new case of knives so yeh thats a good present.

what about a watch?
or a game for playstation?
ummm.... perfume?
PJs?
Cufflinks and a quality white shirt 4 shabbos?
CDs?

I looove chanukah presents:)

suomynona

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:11 am
Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a hat box for a black hat that's not cardboard and disposable? If yes, how much does it cost? I know such a thing exists for a shtreimel.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:24 am
brooklyn wrote:
rise above wrote:

shabbatiscoming wrote:

marion, I am with you here. I think that this family, I dont know if they are frum or not, but they are trying to get other ppl to see that chanukah is a fun holiday as well but comparing it to chrismas.

I personally think its terrible.

rise above wrote:

Yep I think the same... caused alarm bells by me

I'm a little confused, on another topic you seem to feel that the people who decorated their house for Chanukah are copying what the non jews do. On this topic you say that you give (at least to your DH) gifts for Chanukah. Isn't giving Chanukah gifts gifts also copying what the non jews do when they give x-mas gifts? Sounds a little hypocritical to me. (Not bashing you, just an observation)

Yes it is. The minhag is to give d'mei Chanuka (Chanuka gelt ie money) and usually to children. It is to commemorate that the Greeks didn't allow the Jews to use their own money (I.e. of the Hasmoneans and forced them to use that of the Greeks)

happy2beme

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 9:08 am
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a hat box for a black hat that's not cardboard and disposable? If yes, how much does it cost? I know such a thing exists for a shtreimel.

suomynona, I saw someone on a plane that had the coolest black hat case. It was hard plastic & in the shape of the hat- so it doesn't take up so much space like the regular cardboard box. I was too embarassed to ask about it & now I regret it!!!! I would love to buy such a case too!!!!
Anyone know where to get it from?? It's perfect for the car.

by the way, suomynona- it's so hard to write ur name!!! I had to do it backwards! embarrassed

livalittle

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:51 pm
I bought my husband a cd bec, he likes music - but for the more meaningful gift, started his Torah Anthology collection (th emeam loez). I bought him seven out of abt 20 or 30 volumes and will build it up for him as special occasions come along.
a great place to buy ifts - I got gold personalized cufflinks on another occasion - is www.personalizationmall.com. Great stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics