Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please help with Lakewood shopping

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 10:43 am
I just moved to lakewood and I am completely overwhelmed by the shopping here. Please give your two cents!
I have a child who has immunity issues and isnt allowed to leave the house unless its an emergency, so I cant exactly shop around and get acquainted with the neighborhood(s) like I'd like to. I can run out for a couple of minutes during DHs break on sundays when I am not working, thats about it! We live near the yeshiva.

Pharmacy: I have some refilling perscriptions. Which pharmacy is priced best? I have been to Kings, but I feel a bit uncomfortable picking up BC there... Would I have the same issue at refuah? should I just go to rite aid? Are any of them cheaper than the others? Better stocked? Helpful staff?

Groceries: NPGS. That much info I have.

Grocery delivery: I'm looking for the grocery store that delivers, and has very good prices.

Dispasables, toiletries, household: Is walmart the best place to go for this?

Women's Hair coverings: Looking to buy a snood or two, and a WiGrip. Any recommendations for good prices, (and if possible, also good quality and selection).

Thanks all!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 11:16 am
Pharmex pharmacy delivers. You can also aske them to deliver other things you need besides medicines. Their phone number is 732-730-7700 . Kosher west delivers. On a certain day of the week they offer a discout of maybe 13% or so. Find out if they deliver with the discount and what day its on. Temima Szendro sell snoods at home. She is located in WYndam near Sterling Forest. Her # is 732-730-9553. Maybe you can bring your child along since its likely nobody else will be there when you go. You can buy toiletries for cheap at Walmart and there is a Costco on route 70 if you are in to that. Good luck settling in!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 1:42 pm
thank you so much for your response!

any other experiences/impressions/opinions?

thanks!

kollel wife

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 2:06 pm
It is cheaper generally to buy certain products in Shoprite.

For Kosher products (milk, cream cheese, chicken, etc.) the Co-op is the best, but Cheerios, pastas, diapers, laundry detergent, etc, the prices are often cheaper in Shoprite, and they don't deliver. I don't think diapers are cheaper in Walmart. There is a cleaners that will pick up and deliver to your door - I forget which one.

There's a Shoprite circular that comes in the mail every Friday, but I don't know how you get on the mailing list. That circular is also available when you walk in to Shoprite and each weeks specials end on Motzai Shabbos - which is a good night to do shopping if your husband is home. Shoprite opens at 6 am - for a few things it worked for me while my husband was still home before davening.

(Children's Place in Shoprite Plaza is a good place for kids clothes with good prices, "free shipping" coupons when they don't have what you want - then you can order online. And they are open until 9:00 pm, I think. So is Center of Town- housewares store in Shoprite Plaza - actually 8:45 pm. Not as cheap as Walmart, but may be quicker and more convenient.)

I have a friend whose child has medical issues. She had Jersey Care and she is eligible for nursing care, which freed her up very much to get out of the house.

Good Luck to you.

I don't check this site often, but will try to check again in case I can help you with anything. I'm living here a long time.

small bean

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 3:13 pm
I'm very happy with kings and they deliver also.

I don't think you have to be embarrassed about bc with them, they have hundreds of bc prescriptions that they are filling a week..

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 3:29 pm
Welcome to Lakewood!

You do not have to be embarassed at King's. They've seen it all and are so busy that I am sure they have no time to match names to prescriptions and remember who gets what-especially if you don't come in person.

In your neighborhood, Kollel Food delivers. They have fairly good prices. (I find that most of the grocery stores - aside from th Co-op are similar. Better prices on some items, higher on others). BTW, discounts do not apply to phone orders.

Accents on Clifton Ave sells snoods, etc. They are a storefront, so you don't have to call for an appointment, which I always find convenient. They are also in your area.

I usually buy my toiletries, paper goods, etc in Shop Rite. I try to stay away from Wal-mart. (I spend too much money when I do go there. Rolling Eyes ) BTW, I don't get the SR circular in the mail but I do look up their sales on line and get what I will be needing when it goes on sale.

Try calling Bikur Cholim or high schools. Maybe they will find some girls who can babysit for you once in a while so you cna get out. There is a lot of chesed going on in this town - and you don't have to feel like a nebach to get it.

(Just as an aside-I was on the phone with my friend who had had a baby a few weeks before and was having a hard time. She had a few little ones, she had to take her newborn each day for testing which lasted 2 hours, her FIL wasn't well so her DH was going into Brooklyn twice a week and leaving her with the brood. My DD told me-Ma, call my HS and put her on the chesed list. I would be happy to help her, and if I get sent from school, they provide transportation there and back which answered my unasked question of why she can't just go without it being official.LOL) In any case, you see that it is normal to get girls to come help.

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 3:32 pm
Of course, I forgot one major thing. Call BP Graphics and The Voice of Lakewood to get on their mailing lists. Then you will know all about the sales without having to rely on your imamother friends.

But, really, it's always a pleasure!!

groisamomma

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
I just moved to lakewood and I am completely overwhelmed by the shopping here. Please give your two cents!
I have a child who has immunity issues and isnt allowed to leave the house unless its an emergency, so I cant exactly shop around and get acquainted with the neighborhood(s) like I'd like to. I can run out for a couple of minutes during DHs break on sundays when I am not working, thats about it! We live near the yeshiva.

Pharmacy: I have some refilling perscriptions. Which pharmacy is priced best? I have been to Kings, but I feel a bit uncomfortable picking up BC there... Would I have the same issue at refuah? should I just go to rite aid? Are any of them cheaper than the others? Better stocked? Helpful staff?

I use Refua and I tell whoever answers the phone not say my name out loud because I have no idea who's standing in the pharmacy at that point that can hear. They are very discrete about it and you can just text them to send you a refill when you need it and they deliver.

Groceries: NPGS. That much info I have.

This if for the cheapest prices for food. If you are looking for the cleanest chicken and fish in Lakewood you will want to use Farm Fresh. They deliver.

Grocery delivery: I'm looking for the grocery store that delivers, and has very good prices.

Farm Fresh for chicken/meat/fish, but NOT for fruits and vegetables--not usually fresh:( Don't use Kosher Village for deliveries they are extremely expensive (think $2.19 for cups that are $1.39-$1.69 in NPGS depending on the company available at that time). AFAIK Food Ex on 4th Street is the most reasonable and delivers. Kosher West I hear has fresh stuff and is reasonable--not NPGS prices, but not expensive. I'd go with Food Ex.

Dispasables, toiletries, household: Is walmart the best place to go for this?

Not for everything. I've pretty much priced all over, so this is what I have: Target brand (UP and Up) for Pampers ($13.69 a box) much, much more reliable than Walmart's brand pampers. No leaks from Target and great price. Same for fresh wipes which are always on sale. Bounty is always on sale in Target, as is laundry detergent. I buy regular tissues (Aspen) at NPGS (79-99 cents/box) so I can't tell you anything about Kleenex at Walmart/Target. Every other dishwasher detergent, dish soap, Mr. Clean I use Target brand and they are wonderful for great prices.

Target is generally much more clean and organized than Walmart and much more helpful with customer service.

Women's Hair coverings: Looking to buy a snood or two, and a WiGrip. Any recommendations for good prices, (and if possible, also good quality and selection).

I go to Heads of Class on River Avenue. The only time I have time to go is right before they close (6:30-7:00 pm) and they are really helpful. I also use them for socks. Nice, airy store.

Thanks all!

No problem, PM me if you want more specific info about anything. Good luck settling in!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 4:47 pm
OP

aw guys!!
I feel hugged!
thanks for all of your detailed advice and support, and offers to elaborate!

mom2be1

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:34 pm
NPGS and Shloimys(which is bet kennedy and lexington) both offer discounts to those who are newlywed or just moved in. I think it's 20%- ask them about it by the front of the store. Kosher West gives 13% on m,t,w but it has to be $100. The good thing about kosher west even though it might be a little drive away is that in the same shopping center is Accents-sock store and Refuah pharmacy. gluck Wink

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 7:46 pm
OP-

I am nowhere near Lakewood, so no useful info.

But what DID catch my attention is your baby having immunity issues.

Is it something short-term, like from a transplant of some kind?
Or is it a primary immune deficiency? I have that, and have had it my whole life.
It sure makes life different, that's for sure.

Not sure if I am being nosey or curious or what, but it is so rare that I come across someone else
who has one that I had to ask. In fact, I have never met another Jew who has a pid.

Anyway, I wish you the best whatever it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics