Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
ATTN Brooklyn people- I need your help ASAP
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:30 pm
Brooklyners, I need your help. If you live in Flatbush or Boro park, can you help me out ASAP?
I'm writing an article on OOT living vs living in brooklyn, and was asked by my editor to include pricing on certain things in brooklyn, and I am woefully ignorant. Please if you can answer how much all of the following cost where you live, and feel free to share anon if you don't want to give away your location...
I specifically am looking for answers from people who live in boro park or flatbush, not williamsburg or manhattan or queens, etc...

How much do these cost locally?

Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area.
Average size house to purchase in the frum area.
Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school.
Tuition for MO elementary school and high school.
Tuition for a chassidish elementary school and high school.
Half gallon of cholov yisroel milk.
Cholov yisroel cheese/yogurt.
Heimish hashgacha meat and chicken.

Thanks so much!

I need to get this submitted ASAP and I don't have this info yet. You're really helping me out!

ysydmom

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:41 pm
Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area. $1600 - $2000 Not including heat
Average size house to purchase in the frum area. $500,000 - 1 Million
Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school. $7 to $10,000 that's without any deductions
Tuition for MO elementary school and high school. Not sure
Tuition for a chassidish elementary school and high school. Not Sure
Half gallon of cholov yisroel milk. $2 and up
Cholov yisroel cheese/yogurt. Depending on the type American is $15 for a brick and shredded is about $3 per package, Yogurt is .79 and up
Heimish hashgacha meat and chicken. Meat is about $5.99lb and up and chicken - Legs are $1.99lb and up, Whole $2.09 and up and quarterered I don't know cutlets are $3.99lb and up. Chopmeat is $4.99lb and up.

If you need anything else let me know! Good luck!

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:44 pm
The chasidish school tuitions all run differently, but I'm paying $400 a month per child. Last year I was paying $500.

What ysydmom said for everything else.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:47 pm
Quote:
Chopmeat is $4.99lb and up.

It often goes on sale here for 3.99/lb.

The rest is the same.

chefmommy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 6:23 pm
Ami magazine?

middy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 6:44 pm
I live in Flatbush and I would say all the same applies for me too, although the food prices are the lowest possible - if you shop at the cheapest supermarket, not your local "makolet" type of store. If you shop locally you can pay double that on everything.

Tova

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 6:47 pm
Why do people claim that food is more expensive OOT? We don't pay more than the prices listed for food. Tuition is comparable for a yeshivish school. [And housing can be as low as under $1,000 to rent a 2 bedroom apartment and under $200,000 to purchase a 3 bedroom.]

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:00 pm
2 bdrm apt - $1600-$2200
avrge home - $850,000
milk - $2.39
yogurt - (mehadrin) $1.09
Meat - approx. $10 a pound
Chicken - approx $4.99 lb

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:21 pm
I would say its a little more for rent and housing and food:
about 1700-2200 for 2-3 bedroom apt in flatbush
for houses- definitely a lot more than 500k. I would almost a million on avg but maybe prices have gone down in the last few years but even so definitely not less than 800k. If you're buying a house in flatbush for 500,000-is than even possible-, chances are you're putting a lot of money to fix it)
milk- 2.69 ( took this from glatt marts website: glattmart.com)
cottage cheese- 3.79-3.89
ricotta cheese- is around $5-5.49
8 0z. shredded mozarella is 3.99 but if you want low fat it goes up to 4.29
yogurt- 1.00-1.20
chicken 1.99 (for bulk)-2.20/lb
thinly cut shnitzel- 5.99/lb
ground meat - dont remember exactly about 4.99-5.99/lb
brisket is super expensive- maybe $14-20/lb

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:38 pm
Tova wrote:
Why do people claim that food is more expensive OOT? We don't pay more than the prices listed for food. Tuition is comparable for a yeshivish school. [And housing can be as low as under $1,000 to rent a 2 bedroom apartment and under $200,000 to purchase a 3 bedroom.]
I always tell dh that from the posts on imamother, it looks like Baltimore's food is cheaper than New York's.

middy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
for houses- definitely a lot more than 500k. I would almost a million on avg but maybe prices have gone down in the last few years but even so definitely not less than 800k. If you're buying a house in flatbush for 500,000-is than even possible-, chances are you're putting a lot of money to fix it)
yogurt- 1.00-1.20

yeah for the cheaper prices posted you have to go to the kollel store!

Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:06 pm
Tova wrote:

Baltimore is not really OOT, that's why.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:14 pm
middy wrote:
amother wrote:
yogurt- 1.00-1.20

yeah for the cheaper prices posted you have to go to the kollel store!

I usually shop at Moisha's which is the flatbush equivalent, but couldn't remember all prices exactly so estimated that its a few cents cheaper than glatt mart

paprika

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:22 pm
Prices in BP:

Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment - $1600-$1800, 3 bedroom - $2000-$2400
Average size house to purchase in the frum area. $850,000 for an old house
Tuition for a chassidish elementary school $3,000 including transportation and high school $3500
Half gallon of cholov yisroel milk $2.59-2.89
Cholov yisroel cheese $4.50-$5.50 Yogurt - $1.09
Heimish hashgacha meat - 1 shchita is 5.99-9.99, the other is 9.99-13.99 (the more expensive one tastes much better and softer) and chicken - bottoms - 2.75, cutlets - family pack - 5.99, small pack or thin slices - 7.35.

Last edited by paprika on Tue, Feb 14 2012, 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:25 pm
Seraph wrote:
Brooklyners, I need your help. If you live in Flatbush or Boro park, can you help me out ASAP?
I'm writing an article on OOT living vs living in brooklyn, and was asked by my editor to include pricing on certain things in brooklyn, and I am woefully ignorant. Please if you can answer how much all of the following cost where you live, and feel free to share anon if you don't want to give away your location...
I specifically am looking for answers from people who live in boro park or flatbush, not williamsburg or manhattan or queens, etc...

How much do these cost locally?

Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area. 1500-2200+ utilities
Average size house to purchase in the frum area.
Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school.
Tuition for MO elementary school and high school.
Tuition for a chassidish elementary school and high school. elementary chassidishe schools charge 3000-4K and HS is 3500-4500
Half gallon of cholov yisroel milk.
Cholov yisroel cheese/yogurt.
Heimish hashgacha meat and chicken.

Thanks so much!

I need to get this submitted ASAP and I don't have this info yet. You're really helping me out!

newmother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:29 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
2 bdrm apt - $1600-$2200
avrge home - $850,000
milk - $2.39
yogurt - (mehadrin) $1.09
Meat - approx. $10 a pound
Chicken - approx $4.99 lb

I pay $1,329 for a very large 2 bedroom apartment in Flatbush and other people I know who have 2 bedrooms are paying between 1200 and 1600 although I have no idea how much a 3 bedroom apartment runs.

Tova

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Tova wrote:
I always tell dh that from the posts on imamother, it looks like Baltimore's food is cheaper than New York's.

I don't think that the frum stuff is cheaper in Baltimore, just that people in Baltimore are more likely to be using not just heimishe hechsherim.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:46 pm
Tova wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Tova wrote:

I don't think that the frum stuff is cheaper in Baltimore, just that people in Baltimore are more likely to be using not just heimishe hechsherim.
The only Heimish Hechsherim we use are Chalov Yisroel dairy and Glatt Kosher meat. And from the prices I've seen from Baltimore women, the prices are cheaper there than what I pay here.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:54 pm
A lot of heimishe brands for canned or frozen or packaged foods have cheaper prices than the regular brands. A few cents but it does make a difference when it's added up.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:55 pm
I pay $1000 for 2 bedroom bsmt apt in heart of flatbush
chciken with bone 1.99 lb chicken cutlets anywhere from 3.99-7.99 lb.
shredded cheese haolalom 2 8 oz. bags for $5
the yogurt I get for my baby is .50 each
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics