Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Help me/advice if making the right choice

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 7:45 am
DH and I are looking at houses. We really like 1 but here are the pros and cons
Pros: close to shul/mikvah, I will be surrended by friends, house was completly redone from foundations to roof its new everything.walking distance of 2 parks. patio, fenced in backyard, no ally in the back of house.
cons: house is small for our needs but if we make the basement our living quarters then its very much doable. no garage (but plenty of street space)

Now my biggest concern is : is it worth building a wall to make a master bdr with nursery attached (it already has 2 bdr)? is is bad to have everyone live in basement (ie small windows so not too much light in room- which is good so kids wont wake up too early...now to think of it I think the kids bdr wouldn't have windows, is that horrible? )
Also since the house is brand new we know we wont have unexpected things to repair which we def couldn't afford.

What do you think?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 4:05 pm
anyone!!??? please

de_goldy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 4:15 pm
I would not opt to put my kids in a room with no windows. I think you should wait for a better opportunity.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 4:36 pm
It depends on if they have playroom/den. If they are just using the rooms for sleeping, for now it's ok. Are you going to sell when they get older and want to do homework in their rooms? Can you extend eventually?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 5:30 pm
really its just for sleeping and as far as HW I think that I'd have them sit on kitchen/dinning room table.
how expensive would it be to make windows in basement?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 5:51 pm
I personally would definitely go for it. Who needs windows? In the wintertime, by the time the kids come home from school it's dark anyway. How many times do kids do their homework by sunlight? Oh, and most of my homework was done in the kitchen too. We had a pretty big house, but it never really occurred to me to do my HW in my bedroom.

I think being surrounded by friends and having a brand new affordable house is worth a lot. But it's really your priorities that count, not mine.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 6:19 pm
I'm confused, what rooms are upstairs? The 2 bedrooms, are up there, right?

nylon

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 6:21 pm
It's not legal in many areas to have a bedroom with no window. Obviously, they can't police where you sleep but if you need to get a construction permit, they'll look at that, and you can't call it a bedroom when you sell.

Also, what if c"v there is a fire? Not safe.

Happy18

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 6:22 pm
Personally I think having windows on bedrooms as a safety thing. If G-d forbid here was a fire and you can't get to the door and there are no windows a person is completely trapped. I'm actually surprised that you can legally build a bedroom without windows it seems weird.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 9:21 pm
thank you for answering.
is it really illigal for them to call it bedrooms if no windows, because thats what they're doing.
where can I find out if it is illigal and if we can get them to install windows in the bedrooms
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating