Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What to give to Israeli host we'll be staying at for a week?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:19 pm
We'll (2) be staying by a close relative in Israel for a week. She's a single, middle aged woman, Israeli-born and bred. She was in the US a few months ago, loves shopping... (She's not frum.) Any ideas on what kind of gift to get her?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 2:08 am
Really need ideas for Friday morning, we're leaving this weekend.
please share

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 2:32 am
Whats your budget?

A week is a long time. I would definitely get something nice if you can afford it. While you are there you can look and see if anything that it seems like she can use (something decorative/nice not just something practical) and get it before the last day.

merelyme

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 2:48 am
Nice linen.
Gift certificate to a spa or store she'd enjoy browsing in.
Besides shopping, what does she enjoy?
I'd come with a small gift from the U.S. and leave her with another gift after you've been there and seen what she could use and would enjoy.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 3:08 am
Something electric/electronic which are cheaper in the USA. Or pretty linens/ towels like mm suggested.

Karnash

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 3:59 am
If she's an English speaker and a reader - a Kindle

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 6:12 am
does she like cooking or baking? Maybe some kitchen gadget, but make sure it is the right voltage for israel.

clothes, costume jewellery?

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 6:23 am
shalhevet wrote:
Something electric/electronic which are cheaper in the USA. Or pretty linens/ towels like mm suggested.

Electric is difficult, not everything works here.
Linens are a good idea, but remember that some sheet sizes are different here. And that if she's Israeli bred and born she probably won't be used to non-fitted sheets.
Nice towels are always good.

Theoretically, I agree with the suggestion of getting her something smaller from abroad and then buying something bigger here once you see what she has/what her style is, etc. However, practically, that could mean you will waste some of your lovely trip looking for shops. Not good.

A week IS a long time. It should be a nice gift. How about a very nice gift package from a place like the Body Shop, which AFAIK we don't have here in Israel (we do have imitations). You could wrap it with some lovely towels in order to make it bigger. Then, I would leave her a nice bouquet of flowers on the last day.
Have fun.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 10:03 am
thanks for suggestions. I was thinking of buying towels, but can't remember what her bathroom looks like- so I wouldn't know what colors... and I can't remember the size of her bed-for linen.
I like the electric idea- she does like to cook and bake, but don't want to bring from US. Maybe a food processor or mixer if she doesn't have. Do you have the same brands as in the US (like kitchenaid, cuisinart)? What are some popular stores and brands that Israelis like or find useful.
please post more suggestions if you have

Grandmama

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 12:11 pm
I would keep my eyes open as to what she may want or need while I am there, and buy something there. If she is the type that doesn't need much and has enough, I would just buy her flowers/chocolates before I go.
If I could think of nothing else, and wanted to spend more money, I would give her cash, for any occasion, maybe her birthday is coming up, or I would just say its a Purim gift. Definitely as much as I could afford, but realizing that a hotel is $200 a night, at least a substantial amount like $500 or more.
I would put it in an envelope with a nice card.
Cash is the best gift, it gives the recipient exactly what they want/need, and is truly the most thoughtful gift.

Tova

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 2:57 pm
$500 for a relative? I'm shocked.

In my mind it should either be something useful/practical/hard to get in Israel, or a "thought that counts" gift like gift basket, etc.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 5:09 pm
Tova wrote:

In my mind it should either be something useful/practical/hard to get in Israel, or a "thought that counts" gift like gift basket, etc.

I don't think I will give that much. I would like to give something practical or nice but not sure what yet.
If anyone has any ideas on where to buy appliances in Israel and what's considered good. Do they have American brands?

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Tova wrote:

I don't think I will give that much. I would like to give something practical or nice but not sure what yet.
If anyone has any ideas on where to buy appliances in Israel and what's considered good. Do they have American brands?

Of course, there are KitchenAid mixers everywhere here, as well as others. If you do go that route, please get an 'exchange note' meaning she can exchange it within two weeks if she wants. (Maybe she'd prefer a different colour, maybe she already has a Kitchen Aid, maybe it takes up too much room on her counter, etc).

Tamiri

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 12:38 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:

A week IS a long time. It should be a nice gift. How about a very nice gift package from a place like the Body Shop, which AFAIK we don't have here in Israel (we do have imitations)..
Is this Body Shop or an imitation http://www.bodyshop.co.il/? One of my sons got me stuff from there for my birthday (in one of the malls here)... wonderful!!!!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 12:45 pm
You are just two people staying with a relative for a week. So, first of all, I would do something to compensate for her effort, such as: taking her out for dinner more than once. I don't think you can really "pay" for this type of hospitality. It's strange to think about $500 in cash. However, buying something such as a coffee maker while you are here (if she doesn't already have one) or offering to replace a microwave oven if hers is old (you can get a good one for under $200) is probably the way to go.
I think it would be nice if you offer to help clean, do laundry etc. and be frugal with the electricity and water. While I don't know her economic situation, both those utilities are very expensive (water is insane) and being considerate will be a fine thing to do. When you leave, you can offer her a few hundred shekels (350 nis is ~$100 and is a lovely amount) "to cover your stay" if you think she can use it. I don't think that's insulting at all. Again, it depends on her economic situation. If she's wealthy, I think a small gift and a couple/few meals out will suffice. Also, if she's single etc. which is what you wrote, it may be nice to ask her to join you if you are doing something "exciting".

rachel6

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 2:52 pm
This is an "Israeli host" replying!!!
Just bring something small to start with - towels are always useful!
Definately offer to take her out for a meal one evening to somewhere fancy!
Don't give money -its insulting - but if you like keep your eyes open to see what she needs or wants.
And do be frugal with how much water you use!
Enjoy!

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 4:47 pm
rachel6 wrote:
Don't give money -its insulting - but if you like keep your eyes open to see what she needs or wants.
Enjoy!

This. No money please. I would be really insulted.
Asking her to join you for dinner one day would be really nice.

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 5:00 pm
we bought our bread mixer (a magic mill) in the states because it was a lot cheaper then in Europe. We just asked the shop for european voltage (I think 240 as opposed to 110) I think israel also uses 240. You just need to change the plug.

iluvfood

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 6:34 pm
rachel6 wrote:
Enjoy!

this

amother

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 7:56 pm
What are the names of some appliance stores and where are they located?
Also, where are there kosher restaurants in the North/Central? I remember hearing that Badatz, Landau, chassam sofer are good. Are there any restaurants like that? How do you translate normal hashgacha that we eat in the US to that in Israel? Is Rabbanut Mehadrin ok?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics