Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you have a secret language?

Ayshis Chayil

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 12:34 am
Do you have a secret language with dh when you don't want the kids to know what you are discussing? Rolling Eyes

Ayshis Chayil

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 2:00 am
Come on, don't you?

My parents would speak Loshon Hakodesh till the kids got bigger and the trick was out....

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 2:31 am
My mom is from argentina, so she spoke spanish with my father when she wanted to say s/thing we shouldn't hear.

shininglight

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 3:35 am
Yeah, my parents would speak Hebrew to each other. Once we started understanding them, we would tell them that they had to learn another language!

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 5:13 am
My children only speak Hebrew, so we speak "over their heads" in English sometimes. We have to make sure that there are no basic words or names in the sentences because they can catch on quickly. Just the very fact that we are speaking in English makes their ears prick up and the older ones (who are learning English) are likely to understand.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:48 am
Yes, DH and I speak Hebrew when we don't want the kids to figure out what we are saying. We used to spell things out but the DS can spell so we had to stop that.

withhumor

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 9:44 am
Hebrew still does the trick, for now. Until the kids realize that my Hebrew is fourth grade level. Ouch.

HappyPurim

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 10:21 am
No secret language, we'll have to come up with something when the kids get bigger, my parents spoke Hungarian but we kids learned that, so I know Hungarian and my husband knows Hebrewer so not much of a help.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 10:56 am
My grandparents spoke Yiddish, the other set of grandparents spoke Polish. My parents had no secret language and I don't think we will have one either. since we plan to teach the kids Hebrew & bits of Yiddish, and dh also wants them to learn Italian. English could do before they enter middle school though.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:05 pm
Nah, but we had a big house and the kids went to bed early so they never had much problem.

I'm not so lucky.......

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 12:40 pm
Dh and I used Hebrew, but dd#1 has now caught up to my level! My parents used French was I was younger, and now dh and I need to brush up on our French to use it as our secret language, b/c dd won't speak it well for a few more years yet.

The trick is also remembering when other people understand your secret language. There are tons of Israelis in my area, so it's not so secret. My ILs still use it as a secret language out of habit, even though they must realize by now that I understand what they are saying!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics