Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
DESPERATE FOR NEW SHEITEL!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bella:D

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 12:48 pm
In the pictures it looked to me a bit like the hair was so thin that you could almost see the net.
Is there anyone who has had it for a while and can tell me how thin it is in back?

amme

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 10:47 am
It is a thinner wig, but you cant see the net and it does look very good. I am very particular and while I just bought it I do love the way I look in it.

Hi

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 12:48 pm
jusy got mine it is thin but looks fab on

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:15 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
MamaBear wrote:
Not to be a downer, and I have never seen a Mimi sheitel irl, but you can't make a real judgement about one until it's been worn for a yr or so. A friend of mine only buys cheaper sheitels and they all start out gorgeous, they just "die" quickly. Hopefully the Mimi lasts as long as you need it to.

Could be, but look at the math:

$275 once a year, for 4 years = $1,100.

versus

$2,000 for a sheitel that lasts 4 years, and in its final year it starts looking ragged.

Thank you! Sometimes it seems frum women lose their ability to do math when it comes to shaitels.

The markup on shaitels is astronomical, and while I'm all in favor of providing people with a parnosseh, I think most people would be shocked if they learned how much the distributors make on each one. I'm always amused when I hear someone report earnestly that she had a problem and the shaitel macher or company "replaced it with no problem." I always want to ask, "How much do you think they're making that they can afford to do that?"

Find a style and brand you like online, and just keep ordering. I'm personally a big Paula Young fan, but there are a zillion different brands and websites. You can get human hair, European hair, or plain ol' synthetics -- at a fraction of the prices I regularly hear tossed around imamother.

As T&P points out, it would take almost 7 years of wear for the cost of a $2000 shaitel to equal that of a $275 shaitel purchased once a year. Most shaitels don't last 7 years, and even if they do, the styles change and women want something different, anyway.

Hi

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:26 pm
I could not agree more
also how many times to people by more expensive sheitels and are unhappy after a few months and the sheitel macher will not take it back
I know it has happened to me

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 2:12 pm
I'm getting my Mimi for Pesach! I'm looking forward to having a lightweight new sheitel that I can wear down or in a pony! I'll let you know how I like it after a couple of months of wearing, and then maybe I'll buy another Mimi for Shabbos, sell my Shevy, and take the profit as a down payment on a house in LA! Wink

jelly belly

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 2:39 pm
Can anyone tell me if mimis wigs wash well? I usually do mine at home. Will this one need a more professional set? Thanks!

OutATowner

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 2:58 pm
I am getting my Mimi cut, washed, and set tomorrow. I can't imagine wearing it down, as it is very thin, but I guess I'll have to see after it's cut and done. I want to get it long enough to wear in a good pony, but not too long to wear it down (18" for me is waaaay too long).
The last sheitel I got was a JAP- also one of the cheaper brands, but I don't like how it was cut. I went cheaper this time. I hope this one comes out good! I'll have to get used to the bangs, but I like them- not in my eyes at all, like I see some women constantly fixing theirs.
Wish me luck! I can't wait to get really pretty clips and wear it half up!
TaP- Just curious- you started helping her with marketing after this thread started, or you were marketing for her when you told me about it? Either way, I'm happy and greatly appreciate the tip, just curious.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 3:53 pm
OutATowner wrote:

TaP- Just curious- you started helping her with marketing after this thread started, or you were marketing for her when you told me about it? Either way, I'm happy and greatly appreciate the tip, just curious.

After you started this thread, I remembered seeing her on FB, and I found the link for you. Then, I decided to contact her, as I just got an expensive sheitel for my son's Bar mitzvah, and I want another for weekdays, but do not want to spend a fortune again! I visited her when I was in Monsey 2 weeks ago, and touched the sheitels and saw hers that's gorgeous and 2.5 years old. I loved what she explained to me about how she doesn't have a middleman, etc, and then she hired me to do marketing to expand her reach, as so many women want a great sheitel without robbing a bank!

jelly belly

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 3:55 pm
TaP, you seem to be really talented at what you do! Seriously. I hope to hire you one day.

db815

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 3:58 pm
TAP, she has no blonde sheitels at all??

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:00 pm
I contacted her. She doesn't have much of a color selection. I need a medium brown with no red and she doesn't have that. I think her caps are all one size, too.

amme

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:16 pm
jelly belly wrote:
Can anyone tell me if mimis wigs wash well? I usually do mine at home. Will this one need a more professional set? Thanks!

Same question- anyone?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:30 pm
Jelly Belly, What do you do??

No blondes, sorry.

It's true, not much color selection - warm brown, dark brown, and black. I know that she used to have blondes, and Ruchel got one a few months ago, so I'll see what needs to happen to bring them back.

db815

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:32 pm
Yes please!! I dont wana be left out of this bargain just bec im blonde:) LOL , but seriously, see if maybe she can get some in, im not so picky with shades...I would do a lighter or darker blonde.

Lani22

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:24 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I am getting my Mimi cut, washed, and set tomorrow. I can't imagine wearing it down, as it is very thin, but I guess I'll have to see after it's cut and done. I want to get it long enough to wear in a good pony, but not too long to wear it down (18" for me is waaaay too long).
The last sheitel I got was a JAP- also one of the cheaper brands, but I don't like how it was cut. I went cheaper this time. I hope this one comes out good! I'll have to get used to the bangs, but I like them- not in my eyes at all, like I see some women constantly fixing theirs.
Wish me luck! I can't wait to get really pretty clips and wear it half up!

so how did it come out after it was washed and set? im hoping to wear the one I just ordered down 99% of the time- I liike the way thinner wigs look.

friedmana1

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 8:31 am
After all the hype here, I went to see it IRL yesterday. Yes, it's thin, but I'm buying it for a pony sheitel, not an every day one. It's very comfortable, and I'm happy that I bought it. My sheitel macher will be doing it over the weekend, so I'll know more after it's washed and set. I'm going to use it as is for a pony/bun/braid for pesach, and will cut it a bit after lag bmoer.

shmaichul

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 4:39 pm
I got convinced :-) I just ordered one, and Im really excited to get it!

chevron

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 9:11 pm
What's the downside to a thin sheitel? Does it lose it's hair quickly? Not look good down? I like the idea of a thin sheitel because it's sleek and won't friz . So what's the downside?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 9:24 pm
I am having my Mimi cut tomorrow, so I'll post photos after it's done!

I think the downside of a thin wig is that it won't look full and luxurious the way thicker wigs can look. You can see me wearing my Shevy in my profile picture here: https://www.facebook.com/profi.....76375 I think that as much as I curl this Mimi, it won't have this Kate-Middleton-cascades-of-gorgeous-locks-of-hair-look. However, it will look very pretty and natural. (Not everyone has Kate's spectacular hair!).

I think I'm going to keep this Mimi pretty straight. I had straight hair, and straight wigs for years until this wavy Shevy. Waves are hard to deal with - they get messy in the wind, and then they need to be re-done with curlers or a curling iron. A straight wig just needs to be brushed if I got caught in the wind. And it's fabulous in a pony. I already wore it in a pony, twisted into a bun, held in place with a silver clip with teeth (not sure what those are called!). It is a great pony wig; lays very flat and natural, and lightweight!

I'm still helping Mimi with marketing; I just changed my sig so that people don't get 'banner blindness'! Like Mimi's FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/MimisLooks
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels