Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How many projects does your 8 yr old get???

supermommy

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 10:41 pm
I'm starting to get really tired of all this 3rd grade homework! It started with 1 project where dd had to join her friends and work on it after school. At first I thought this was cute (even though I had to shlep all the way to drop her off and pick her up. Oh and we don't have a car) but then she had to do it again since they weren't done. Then not long after another teacher assigned a group project as well. Just when I thought I'd be getting a break from these projects she gets assigned another project to do at home on her own. She was given 2 weeks (purim landing smack in the middle of it) and she is still responsible to finish regular assigned homework as well which usually eats up our entire evening to begin with.

Is this normal???

What kind of homework does your 3rd grader come home with? Should I speak to the teachers? Or just let her be whether she gets it done or not?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 12:20 pm
Projects to do outside of school, as a group? It sounds very very young (and difficult to the parents).
I remember getting maybe a couple a year, in middle school and after.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 12:24 pm
I remember the project concept starting in either 4th or 5th grade but they were done alone. Group projects were more of a middle school or even highschool thing.

cm

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 12:27 pm
I would turn the question around: how much routine homework does your 3rd grader have to do?

The projects (in my family's experience) are generally interesting and productive, educationally.

Routine homework, especially at this young age, is often a huge waste of time that could be spent doing worthwhile projects.

If there are logistical concerns (getting your child to different places, for example) speak to the teacher about it. There may be a way to "work together" without being in the same place at the same time - phone, internet, fax, exchanging work done at home at school the next day, etc.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 1:14 pm
You could also ask the teacher if she could possibly group your dd with girls who live closer to you so you can shlep less.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 1:38 pm
homework that takes up the whole evening sounds excessive.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:28 pm
I think in general projects done in a group take a lot longer than projects done alone. That could be part of it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children