Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a Maternity Gown? Please help...

amother

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 8:54 pm
Both my sister and my SIL got engaged recently and are planning summer weddings.
My sister gave me fabric (raw silk) and my SIL says the color works for her wedding too...

...but now I think I'm pregnant!
It is definitely too soon to discuss with anyone and this would be my first pregnancy, so I am not sure quite what to do.

Do I make a regular gown and assume/hope it fits at least one of these weddings?
Do I ask the dressmaker for a style that is a bit "roomier" just in case (downside being that it might not be such a flattering dress)?
Do I stall and try to make the dress at the last minute (though not sure I will have time later this spring b/c of travel for work)?

Any advice (pictures?!) would be much appreciated!!!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 9:12 pm
Are you deff sure you are preg?? Maybe find that out first before you start making anything. Hatzlocha!!!

spring13

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 9:56 pm
Talk to a dressmaker now - she might have more insight for you in terms of how and when to make the dress. Someone who really knows her stuff should be able to figure out a style that will work even with potential growth, or that she can adjust easily if you need it between the 1st and 2nd weddings.

cbsmommy

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 10:11 pm
What spring13 said. Find someone who is discreet and see what they can do. Certain styles are STUNNING and don't look at all maternity. But...everything depends on your proportions and measurements. An internet avatar is hard to use to judge whether or not you can pull off an empire waist or a puckered bodice.

I seriously built up a dress for a wedding; I wore the dress 17 weeks pregnant. The seamstress cut the dress in such a way that last minute alterations made everything fit. In order to disguise the fact that I was a larger band/cup size she added a trim and some jewel detailing to the bodice. She also pinned my skirt into little tucks and added three layers near my stomach - the result was a dress that looked elegant rather than maternity, but I didn't feel like I couldn't breathe.

After the baby was born, I took the dress back to the seamstress and she made a few more adjustments and the dress is back to being non-maternity.

Chanie

Post Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:06 pm
I was pregnant by the last family wedding and tried on tons of maternity gowns, all of which were awful and made me fell like a house. I ended up getting made a highwaisted gown, that could easily pass as not maternity. Maybe find a flattering high waisted gown that could look great either way (and take a pregnancy test to see if that is even necessary.)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 2:03 am
maybe check out the flatbush maternity gmach. They have gorgeous gowns for a $50 rental fee!

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:24 am
High waisted gowns are quite fashionable now so maybe get one like that made.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....,s:25
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....,s:59

Or you can ask the seamstress to make the middle band elasticated, if you are not showing yet at the wedding it will look like the style of the gown and if you are pregnant it will look fitted and nice.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....,s:58

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:45 pm
OP--
This was really helpful (especially the pictures).

Thanks so much!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 10:36 am
This is OP.

Just wanted to follow up and thank you for your help.

Went to dressmaker yesterday and she had some ideas...she is going to start the dress now and then the week before the chassuna she will finish it depending on what I look like. This is my first pregnancy and I will only be at 19 weeks, so she felt it would be too hard to predict. In terms of using the dress for my SIL wedding (when I will be 26 weeks), she was not too optimistic, but said we can see.

Will try to post a picture when it's done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics