Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What is an Amen party?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:22 pm
Someone just called to invite me and my kids on shabbos to an Amen party (?). What is it? What can I expect to see there? I'm assuming people make brachos and say amen? It's for someone in my community who is sick.

Do I bring something?

Anon because I feel dumb.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:29 pm
It's brochos. Ask if you can bring something, if you want to.

joy613

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:59 pm
You don't need to bring anything. Usually the way it goes is they give everyone a plate/bag with one food from each bracha. Then you go around the room with each person saying a bracha out loud and everyone else responds Amen. They do it for each bracha so it ends up being a lot of Amens being said out loud as a group.
I know of some really large amen parties where a lot of ladies attend, they divide the women into smaller groups so it doesn't take all day.
Supposedly it's a big zchus for someone in need of a yeshua.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:02 pm
Amen parties are a wonderful experience. Basically, each Bracha can be said with Kavana for a specific thing:
B'samim- Nachas MiBanim (and I think other things too.)
Mezonos- Parnasa
Hagafen- Shidduchim
Haetz- children
Haadama- health
Shehakol- anything

So at an Amen party, the host prepares something for each Bracha. (You can offer to bring something.) When they get up to each Bracha, everyone takes a peice of the food and you go around the room. Each person says a Bracha out loud and everyone says Amen. You can say whose Z'chus you are saying each Bracha for if you want. Otherwise, you can just think it to yourself. If everyone shares their thoughts, it is very meaningful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics