Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Have you bought a washing machine somewhat recently?
1  2  Next

farm

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 1:59 pm
My washing machine is on its last breaths. I've been doing some research, at it seems like the newer top loaders without aggitators are too "efficient" to wash well, while front loaders need repairs more often. If you are in the US, please tell me what you chose and why, and of course, if you are happy with your choice. Much appreciated!

PROUDPEACOCK

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 2:03 pm
the LG is horrible. In general front loaders use very little water and therefore do not wash well. Every item that has some dirt sticking needs to be soaked or prewashed in the sink, otherwise even crumbs don't come off. Besides the rubber on the door needs constant care or else it stinks and the soap residue stain the laundry. Hate Hate the water saving machines.

jelly belly

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 2:09 pm
I am very happy with my maytag front loader. I chose it because it had excellent reviews online, and it was affordable (midrange). I leave the door open a bit between use and I have no smell or mildew problems. It uses very little water but cleans well, even my kids stuff. No repairs so far, hope it stays that way!

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 3:20 pm
I got a stacking front loader washer/dryer combo recenty, I was very happy. I don't recall the name brand

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 3:45 pm
I have a Bosch front loader, purchased about 16 months ago. I think it works well. Anything with a tougher stain, I do pretreat or soak, but I've never noticed an issue with something like crumbs or normal soiling. It's not the best washing machine I've ever had for cloth diapers, but it is amazing for gentle laundry. I definitely don't bother hand washing much of anything anymore. I've never had an issue with the rubber on the door; I just leave the door open so it can dry out between uses. I don't even clean it other than to take out the odd bit of debris that sometimes collects there. I bought it because I had a Bosch front loader in Australia that I LOVED. This machine isn't quite as good. I think of it as an American-style front loader branded as Bosch. The one I had in Australia was more of what I think of as a European-style machine. The water got much hotter on the sanitary cycle, it was smaller, and cheaper.

bigprincess

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 3:57 pm
I bought the whirlpool duet around two years ago. It was highly recommended to me by some family members and friends. It washes well. Tough stains I spray with shout and wash it. I run the cleaning cycle every now and then to freshen it up. I even wash super delicate items that are dry clean only.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 4:07 pm
the new machines ARE efficient. I have our front loader rinse twice, every time. you need more water than what they use.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 4:15 pm
I have a frigidaire, the latest one
Its great I love it!
no complaints.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 4:32 pm
I love the water efficiency of a front loader. I have an LG that works just great. It's a few years old by now, but still feels new to me.

Upon rereading the original post, I have to add that if you have a washing machine that is breathing, then it must be pretty special. Mine doesn't do that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 6:10 pm
I have an Electrolux (I bought it because it allows the door to be reversed, which I needed. It's basically impossible to find a front loader that opens to the right side instead of the left.)

I like it and don't have too many problems. I use it to soak white clothing by pausing it in the middle after it's added the water. I've really saved a LOT of my kids' white shirts like this (with some oxiclean; I don't own bleach).

Has a favorite setting that I programmed to use for my cloth diapers, it has a fast wash to do loads in 18 minutes (!!) as well as delicate cycles where I put in whatever I used to hand wash. I have never actually cleaned it even though I've probably been told to do so maybe 5 times in the time I had it? No mildew issues.

One thing I don't like re: front loaders is that they are low down unless you spend extra money getting a pedestal. Such a marketing gimmick Sad

jelly belly

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 6:18 pm
HY, I love that its low down. I didn't buy a pedestal either. I convinced my toddler that loading the machine is great fun. I park him with a basket of laundry and let him go to town. All I have to do is choose a setting, add detergent, and tell him to press start Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 6:22 pm
Have you tried it when pregnant? I got it when I was in my last trimester. Not too fun. My kids do help somewhat, but they're not always around when I'm doing laundry.
Although it is nice to be able to sit on the floor and nurse while switching a load with one hand...

Kumphort

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:20 pm
I have an LG, which is OK, I definitely have issues with mildew building up, in the rubber gasket, but that's because I am not careful about leaving it open.

I don't have issues with clothes not getting as clean cause it uses less water. I like the analogy of taking a shower or bath, the shower uses less water, and you are not sitting in dirty water.

But the main reason that I am commenting on this post, is because, I bought my appliances from Home Depot and was able to negotiate to get the pedestals thrown in for free. So just because you are going to some big chain store, don't be scared to see what they can offer you !!!

enneamom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:20 pm
I recently bought a used Whirlpool washer/dryer combo that is about 5 years old. It's too soon to say, but so far I'm happy, bla"h. Apparently the older ones are better. At least, that's what we were told by a repairman.

Maybe check the classifieds? That's how I found mine.

SorGold

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:27 pm
I love my whirpool duet that I bought last summer. Cleans great and I also love the hand wash setting. I basically wash everything (ok not dh's suits but you get the picture)

Merrymom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:39 pm
My LG front loader was causing me problems so I got a top of the line GE top loader. The only problem is that it rips everything to shreds, there doesn't seem to be a decent spin cycle on it, so yes I hate it afterall. Stay away from those top loaders!

jelly belly

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Have you tried it when pregnant? I got it when I was in my last trimester. Not too fun. My kids do help somewhat, but they're not always around when I'm doing laundry.
Although it is nice to be able to sit on the floor and nurse while switching a load with one hand...

Yes, I have used it through every stage of pregnancy and also while holding a baby in one arm lol. Sometimes I save my laundry for the morning just for ds.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 7:50 pm
bigprincess wrote:
I bought the whirlpool duet around two years ago. It was highly recommended to me by some family members and friends. It washes well. Tough stains I spray with shout and wash it. I run the cleaning cycle every now and then to freshen it up. I even wash super delicate items that are dry clean only.

I have one too that is a few years old. I think it might be the sport version. Let me know if you want me to check. love the delicate cycle. Cleans real dry clean stuff with no issues so far b'h. For tough stains, I use oxyclean first. I leave the door open after every use (or after I am done a succession of loads) and don't have any problems with smell. ONE ISSUE: Timing is not correct. A big load or heavy load may say 56 minutes but it can take as long as 2 hours for something like heavy towels or linens.

jewishmom1

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 8:54 pm
I have an LG front loader. Great machine but terrible service. Wouldn't recommend at all unless you enjoy using the laundromat for 2 weeks until LG sends the broken part.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 2:13 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

When pregnant I had a top loader but I HATED it because I would have my washing on the floor/basket and I would have to bend and lift....tiring to say the least! With a front loader, even not pregnant, I sit on the floor and sort and wash, its great.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars