Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Hunger Games Anyone?
1  2  Next

imabima

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:14 pm
Has anyone else read this book? I just finished it and I'm so anxious to go buy the next one!

mommydiaries

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:16 pm
Read them all. Loved.

Lilkingdom

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:20 pm
Am I the only one who was totally shaken up by the movie??? Seeing kids kill each other for entertainment... The hosts and mentors appearing normal and caring for the kids, how can it be that they would just allow innocent young kids to die like that?
I simply didn't get it!

marina

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:29 pm
loved the series & the movie.

It is a political commentary film as much as anything else.

Reminded me of the short story The Lottery.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:32 pm
I read the books; not planning to see the movie since it's violent.

They're good fiction but not very good dystopias. A good dystopia is one where there is some kind of inner battle for the protagonist. It's one where the world depicted has its tempting aspects. So Zamyatin's "We" and Lois Lowry's "The Giver" are both very good.

In "The Hunger Games" it starts out with everyone starving and then goes downhill from there.

celestial

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 9:34 pm
Yes, I loved the books as a political commentary. I actually read the last one around this time last year. I cried! It was very harrowing.

marina

Post Sat, Mar 31 2012, 10:14 pm
I certainly think there are inner battles for the protagonists here, surely as similar as to The Giver, which is a great great book, btw. Throughout much of the series, Katniss is torn between encouraging the rebellion and keeping her friends and family safe and care for.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 12:25 am
I think she is a good author but this series was too violent for my taste

I get attached to charactors and it is depressing when most of them end up dead. a few here and there is ok but this book was over the top.

she has a really good childrens series that is considerably less gruesome and most charactors stay alive. its called the underland chronicles.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 1:06 am
Read them all. Enjoyed them all. So do my kids-who read them before me. As for the movie, I had a very unhappy child when I refused to go to the midnight showing of the movie. I enjoyed the movie too-was less violent than I expected it to be-B"H.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 1:38 pm
I'm with Sequoia on the dystopia part. But the books were great. I do not plan to see the movies, I hate graphic violence and the books were good enough for me. I think reading about it messes with your brain less than seeing it. Marina, she's torn because the evil people would threaten her loved ones, not because she felt that the old life was inherently better for them in any way. That's the difference.

Yeah all the violence and death seemed like way too much for me, too. But good new reading is so hard to come by that I couldn't turn this down... or put it down, for that matter. I started reading before the third book was out and I was really waiting for it!

gp2.0

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 2:01 pm
I read the first book, loved it, reserved the 2nd and 3rd books at the library. The third book came in first and I couldn't resist so I read it.

Then I was no longer interested in the 2nd. Did I miss anything major? Lol. There was enough of a recap and flashback in the 3rd book that I think I understood what was going on.

The movie was an EXACT depiction. I found myself laughing at inappropriate moments because I was so pleased that the monster jumping out of the shadows (or whatever) was EXACTLY like I imagined it would be. It was like the book brought to life. Love when that happens.

eatingbagels

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:22 pm
Loved the books. Loved the movie.
Was shocked that someone actually brought small children to the movie, though. (Think 7 or 8 shock )
I think the movie represented the book really really well. It is a pretty sad story overall, though.

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:27 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm with Sequoia on the dystopia part. But the books were great. I do not plan to see the movies, I hate graphic violence and the books were good enough for me. I think reading about it messes with your brain less than seeing it. Marina, she's torn because the evil people would threaten her loved ones, not because she felt that the old life was inherently better for them in any way. That's the difference.

Yeah all the violence and death seemed like way too much for me, too. But good new reading is so hard to come by that I couldn't turn this down... or put it down, for that matter. I started reading before the third book was out and I was really waiting for it!

Yes, you understand me. I think in the case of Katniss it's more a question of tactics than strategy. No one would argue that the old system is cruel and horrible and has to go. What interests me more are books where the system is both horrible and in many ways attractive through ease, stability, prosperity, freedom from decision making. And the reader, along with the protagonist, has to make that mental journey.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 8:17 pm
sequoia wrote:
seeker wrote:

Yes, you understand me. I think in the case of Katniss it's more a question of tactics than strategy. No one would argue that the old system is cruel and horrible and has to go. What interests me more are books where the system is both horrible and in many ways attractive through ease, stability, prosperity, freedom from decision making. And the reader, along with the protagonist, has to make that mental journey.
For many, they really are making that mental journey. Bear in mind that most of these books are aimed at adolescents, who are almost all engaged in that terrible dance between independence and being parented.

Blue jay

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:07 pm
Just found this thread on "The Hunger games"

I just finished the first book. I was really impressed. The society that Katniss lives in is like a medley of all the cultural and media garbage that we witness today. The pagentry that surrounded the "reaping", the emphasis on impressions and attire, the reality tv coverage of the "reaping"....This totally blew my mind and made me think of the cultural circus and shallowness there really is out there. And the best thing is, Katniss feels the same way. She is only trying to survive and is playing the game to her advantage. Most of the other tributes were blood thirsty. except for Foxface, Peeta, and ofcourse Rue. This book really gets you to think!

Did anyone else feel this way?

By the way, I am eagerly awaiting my "Catching fire" book, ordered on Amazon. I just wish it was in paperback!

Capitalchick

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:12 pm
Just finishing up the second book. Looking forward to the third book. Loving them!

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:27 pm
We have no space in my apartment for any more books (my mother's a librarian, so I can't EVER get rid of any books!), so I've taken to only borrowing books from the library instead of buying.

I got the first book from the Brooklyn Public Library with over 300 holds on it ahead of me, so I had to wait quite a few months before finally getting it. I requested the second book immediately after I finished the first -- I really got caught up in the world, themes, story and characters -- but I've still got 190+ holds ahead of me. I'll just have to be patient.

waiting

A few random, disjointed comments/musings:

* I flippin' LOVED that Katniss made a point of describing waxing her legs and filing her nails for the first time. THANK YOU Suzanne Collins for a description of a young woman in her natural state... somehow, I feel like most female characters have perfect eyebrows, hairless armpits and lovely toenails by default, unless somehow it's a "character trait" to have crooked teeth (quirky!), dirt under their nails (oh, the rebellious princess who loves to garden!) or are "too skinny".

* Gale vs. Peeta WILL NEVER BE THE NEW Edward vs. Jacob. Stop trying to make that happen, clueless media.

Blue jay

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 3:01 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
We have no space in my apartment for any more books (my mother's a librarian, so I can't EVER get rid of any books!), so I've taken to only borrowing books from the library instead of buying.

I got the first book from the Brooklyn Public Library with over 300 holds on it ahead of me, so I had to wait quite a few months before finally getting it. I requested the second book immediately after I finished the first -- I really got caught up in the world, themes, story and characters -- but I've still got 190+ holds ahead of me. I'll just have to be patient.

waiting

A few random, disjointed comments/musings:

* I flippin' LOVED that Katniss made a point of describing waxing her legs and filing her nails for the first time. THANK YOU Suzanne Collins for a description of a young woman in her natural state... somehow, I feel like most female characters have perfect eyebrows, hairless armpits and lovely toenails by default, unless somehow it's a "character trait" to have crooked teeth (quirky!), dirt under their nails (oh, the rebellious princess who loves to garden!) or are "too skinny".

* Gale vs. Peeta WILL NEVER BE THE NEW Edward vs. Jacob. Stop trying to make that happen, clueless media.

Its Katniss' "earthiiness" that we all can relate to. The men and woman who live in the capital wear body makeup and they nearly gave Katniss a breast augmentation after the games. What a contrast!
The capitol people gorge themselves on food and drink, meanwhile Katniss hunts squirrels with her bow and arrow!

Factory Girl

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 5:27 pm
whats amazing about this trilogy is how all 3 books are soo good, the 3rd is as great as the first and second.!!
one of the best trilogies I have ever read...

I am also recommending reading the book DIVERGENT, which is also a trilogy , that is also a Distopia and also wonderful

tennesseemommy

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 9:22 am
my 11 year old daughter wants to read these books. Do you think they are appropriate for a young girl?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room