Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Little Sad, Stuck Home Last Minute, ISO Recipes

amother

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 3:18 am
Because of reasons beyond our control, we will be home for Pesach and not with my family as planned. I am a bit sad about this, but trying to get excited about making it on my own. As I wrote my menu I realized having some new, different, and exciting dishes would be something to look forward to, and make it feel like a special yom tov, even if we dont have the normal people and foods (my mom's) I associate with this special yom tov. My menu was just a bit sad and repetitive of what we always have on our home.

I am looking for 2 novel recipes, but have neither time, nor money (or desire) to buy any "passover" ingredients (like potato starch, or kosher l'pesach substitutes that Id have to scour my market for.. like soy sauce or mustard etc) Can anyone recommend recipes that utilize things Id have (like honey, olive oil, any and all fresh fruits and veggies, red wine, etc) for:

1) some sort of chicken in the oven
2) some sort of "special" salad (maybe something fruity or exotic... something different from the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper type garden salad)

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 3:46 am
ok chicken,
slice potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions at the bottom of pan, chicken pieces on top, drizzle honey over chicken liberally, sprinkle salt and stick in oven or toaster oven.

salad,
what about carrot salad with pineapple pieces?

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 3:47 am
correction actually sliced onions go on top
or maybe it doesn't make a difference dunno, try either way

spinkles

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:26 am
Salads:

Lettuce, oranges, grapefruits, cukes, candied almonds (easy to make), with a honey-OJ dressing.
Avocado and grape tomatoes, with oil, salt, and minced onion.
Mango, avocado, red onion, cucumber, red pepper with honey-lime juice-oil dressing.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:43 am
Not chicken or salad but yummy anyway:

Peel and core apples. Slice right to left to get apple rings. Dip in eggs, sugar, and cinnamon and fry on both sides till apple is slightly soft and outside is golden.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:53 am
Raizle wrote:
ok chicken,
slice potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions at the bottom of pan, chicken pieces on top, drizzle honey over chicken liberally, sprinkle salt and stick in oven or toaster oven.

salad,

Do you think this can be made on the stove?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 1:05 pm
what lovely recipes! OP here, thank you everyone.

Sprinkles, what is in the OJ-honey dressing, or the lime juice one? Ive never made a sweet dressing...

And HOW do you make candied almonds? That sounds delightful! Its like you read my mind when I asked for something that feels a bit special- that would definitely be a yom tov treat at my table... details please?

black sheep

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Not chicken or salad but yummy anyway:

Peel and core apples. Slice right to left to get apple rings. Dip in eggs, sugar, and cinnamon and fry on both sides till apple is slightly soft and outside is golden.

this sounds yum! I think I'm going to do this on sunday afternoon (second day yom tov) with the kids when they are bored and hungry. thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 2:23 pm
I don't see any way around getting a Pesach cookbook, even if you have to borrow one - and getting the special ingredients. Even when I was a kid, we got cake mixes or potato starch and cocoa, and baked.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 8:03 pm
duck sauce chicken made with homemade duck sauce?

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....sauce

mango pomegranate salad?

Grilled Chicken Mango Salad
• 1 large onion
• 2 mangos, divided
• pinch of salt
• 1 Tbsp oil
• 2 Tbsp red wine
• 1/2 head romaine lettuce or 1 ten ounce bag pre-washed lettuce
• 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
• 1 pound chicken cutlets, pounded
• olive oil, for dressing
• salt and pepper to taste

In a jar of a blender or food processor, combine the onion, 1-1/2 mangos, salt, oil, and wine. Process to create liquid.
Marinate chicken in mixture for 1-2 hours, or overnight.
Remove chicken from marinade.
In a grill pan over medium-high heat, grill chicken until cooked through, approximately 5 minutes per side. Cut chicken into thin strips.
Toss lettuce, strips of chicken, with remaining mango, diced, and pomegranate seeds. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. The flavor and juice from the chicken should be ample to accommodate the simple dressing.

honey chicken on the stove?

Honey Chicken
• 1 chicken, cut up
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 cup wine
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

Brown chicken in frying pan. Pour sauce over chicken. Add sweet potato to pan.
Cook on medium for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 8:51 pm
Steak Salad with Orange-Honey Dressing

1 ½ tsp olive oil
1 4oz steak
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium orange, peel and pith removed
1 T honey
1 small heart Romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
2 T thinly sliced red onion
1 small carrot, shaved with a vegetable peeler

In a small skillet, heat ½ tsp oil over medium-high heat. Pat steak dry; season with salt and pepper and cook until medium-rare, 6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
Cut out orange segments, then squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from membranes. Whisk in honey and 1 tsp oil; season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, onion, and carrot and toss to combine.
Transfer salad to a plate and top with steak.

Duck or Chicken L’Orange

1 whole duck or chicken
3 cups duck sauce
1 orange, sliced with peel intact
8-10 whole cloves garlic

Preheat oven to 350.
Place chicken or duck into a baking pan. Cover with duck sauce, and sprinkle with orange slices and garlic.
For duck: bake tightly covered for 3-4 hours.
For chicken: bake covered for 45 minutes and uncovered for 45 minutes.
Spoon sauce over meat before serving.

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 9:14 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
Raizle wrote:
ok chicken,

salad,

Do you think this can be made on the stove?
sauteed? Yes I've done that and it's also really yummy. Just make sure that there is enough liquid. Add something else like wine or juice so that the honey does not catch.
start with onions and add the rest after you get the chicken started in it's juice.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 1:47 am
OP here,

THANK YOU ALL for taking time during such a busy week to reply to me! So much appreciation to you! I love these ideas and am incorporating them into menus as I read them- so thank you for not making me go search for something that seems ok when theres so much else Im trying to learn and get together. Keep 'em coming!

I still would LOVE that "easy" candied almond recipe that someone mentioned above.... where did she go???

ps I had NO idea that duck sauce (the main brand I always buy) is kosher for pesach and not kitniyot! Who knew..... ? (Did I read that label wrong....?)

Raizle

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 4:33 am
heres a recipe for the candied almonds
haven't tried it myself but it looks easy enough
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/candied-almonds/

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 5:18 am
OP duck sauce is not KLP, you make it at home for Pesach and it is delicious , she provided the link to the recipe. Smile

curlgirl

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 5:29 am
In the kitchen wrote:
OP duck sauce is not KLP, you make it at home for Pesach and it is delicious , she provided the link to the recipe. Smile

What do you mean? There is definitely KLP duck sauce available in the stores.

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 5:36 am
curlgirl wrote:
In the kitchen wrote:

What do you mean? There is definitely KLP duck sauce available in the stores.

OK I didn't know that. Never seen it b'chlal in Israel...
I just remember that the Duck sauce we used in the states had corn syrup.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 03 2012, 2:13 am
I just looked at the "Gold's" jar of duck sauce... big jar that is- I think- the main brand of duck sauce I ever see at the grocery store... It says OUP!!! Does this mean it is only ok for ppl who eat kitniyot? doesnt say that...

Where did Sprinkles go with those recipes? Come back Wink

Any more great ideas... THANK YOU ladies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen