Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition- breakdown of costs
1  2  3  4  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 6:32 pm
There are lots of posts about tuition costs. In this thread I'm interested in numbers for the US.

from a Mishpacha article:

In Lakewood - elementary school is $6000. Maximum reduction $500 in one of the schools. Most Lakewood schools do not offer reductions.

(I can't imagine how large kollel families can pay that per child!)

in a Brooklyn preschool - full tuition is $6200 plus $600 registration fee

Toras Emes Academy of Miami:

preschool tuition (ages 3-4) $7000
pre1A (age 5) $8500
elementary school - $10,000
additional mandatory fees for each student include:
registration - $500
insurance - $200
books - $150
building fund - $500
fundraising responsibility - $1000 per family

a girl's high school (location not specified) $10,000
48% of the students are on scholarships

I would like to see a breakdown of how the schools use the money:

how much on salaries and how large the salaries are
utilities (with a breakdown that includes air conditioning costs)
mortgage or rent
food
maintenance
etc.

any administrative people posting here that can tell us?

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 7:55 pm
motek, are these amounts per month or per year?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:15 pm
All right, I'll bite:

Chabad Hebrew Academy, California:

1-5 :$11,400 + 500 fee=$11,900

6-8: $11,900 + 500 fee = $12,400

I don't know how people with many kids do this. Rolling Eyes

Piper

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:18 pm
Oh, the $500 fees for the above post are registration. There is also a $500 building fund.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:21 pm
$3,000.00 Building fund in our school per family
registration $100.00 per year per child
what is the registration to begin with? its a new thing in our school, I can go help them with some paperwork if thats what its for, or is it just another way of getting money? who knows?

Piper

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:21 pm
OOpsie!!!! I forgot to push the anonymous button embarrassed . Oh, well, it is on the online registration forms for 2006/2007. We did take our kids out because of the costs and DH is too stubborn and proud to use assistance. Plus, it was far from our home.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:40 pm
ok if these amounts are per year, the schools that we are looking into are 13,000 per year and 15,000 per year, one is $150 registration fee and another is $300 registration fee

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 8:54 pm
Yeshiva Day School of Kansas City
Tuition per year: $8,000 K - 4th
They want families to pay at least half. We are paying a little less than that. Also had to pay $75 to school district to enroll in home-school curriculum.

stem

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:20 pm
Our day school's tuition is $1800 for preschool and $3500 for elementary school with a registration fee of $50 per family which is waived if the family registers before the previous school year is over.
I guess those are some of the perks of living out of town.
We do have to pay for school lunches which adds up to $360 a year per kid, and optional afternoon programs for the preschool kids could be an extra $1000.

imaamy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:33 pm
I've just written checks for field trips and our tuition is similar to what Piper said for Chabad. It never ends!

queen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:37 pm
My husband is the treasurer/on the board for a large school, I can ask him about the break down as he was just busy with that...

Motek, PM me in case I forget!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:47 pm
I live in NJ. I am paying $11,000 this year for my daughter to go to Pre-K (she is 5). Next year we will also have to start paying towards the building fund ($6000 per family) and with other fees, tuition will be $15,000. This includes the $950 registration fee PER CHILD every year, even for previously enrolled students. This does not include lunch, or supplies, or trips, or any extras.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:49 pm
stem - why is the tuition in your area so much cheaper than in other out-of-town areas like Miami and Cleveland (posted above)?

roza

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:52 pm
Wake up and smell coffee!

Piper

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:04 pm
On top of everything else, it is extremely expensive to live in San Diego. You can't even get a decent house anymore below $650k. Utilities are very expensive too. I just don't know how people do it.

Oh, if you are not Lubuvitch, the other two orthodox shuls are located in either the college area or La Jolla. The college area is full of college fraternities and is full of a lot of s-xual offenders (I checked the registry). La Jolla is one of the most expensive cities in the US. I think the average home price is over a mil.

imaamy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:30 pm
We have lived here 6 years and I still don't see how people do it. Many have very nice new cars, take trips, etc. You can only borrow so much!

avigayil

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:39 pm
Here elementary is 11,000 per year per kid....a farther school is 7,000 per child, but is more charedei which we are not.

A good friend of mine has a masters from a great university and teaches at her kids school for a tuition break. It only pays for 2 though and she pays about 40,000 for her other 4. I think this is a shame because she and her dh do so much for the school, but alas, there are only so many fund to go around.

Currently we pay about 4,000 for ds's preschool (he's 2) at the Lubavitch preschool. This includes his hot lunches once and sometimes twice a week.

queen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 11:15 pm
OK Motek- here are some answers for you:

Salaries are about 70% of the budget.
The remaining 30% gets divided between utilities, insurance, supplies etc.

My husband says in "his" school salaries are over 4 million dollars a year!!!!!
shock (I think about 800 kids in the school)

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 9:11 am
Motek wrote:
stem - why is the tuition in your area so much cheaper than in other out-of-town areas like Miami and Cleveland (posted above)?

In small towns the schools there may only be a tiny pool of prospective students. The school management would rather every possible Jewish kid came to school and have to perhaps fundraise a bit more for the extra money they need. Very different to big city school where they are turning away students.

I once asked someone who runs a school in the ny area which charges about $10000 a year per kid if the fees cover all the schools expenses and she said it didn't.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 08 2006, 12:54 pm
amother who lives in NJ and is paying 15,000 per child, where in NJ do you live. we had been considering moving to Passaic and you are seriously scaring me, that amount is sooo high.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics