Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need a warm and heimish community in the US to move to....
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 2:30 pm
We need to move away from where we live currently, and we are looking for a very warm community. The problem w/ the typical choices is that we're chassidish. While we understand that most out of town communities are not chassidish, but we need something w/ heimishkeit, a poper mechitza in the shul, separate boys/girls school etc.
We looked into atlanta and elizabeth- neither of those are heimish enough for us.
Any other ideas?
Thanks!
ps- staying anon bec. certain ppl can't know about our upcoming move just yet.

Yael3

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 2:42 pm
I lived in Brookline, MA (right outside of Boston) for several years and the community is AMAZING. There are many options there for shuls. It sounds like you would be most comfortable davening there at the Bostoner Rebbe's shul. It is located right on Beacon street (the main drag). Here's some information about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_(Hasidic_dynasty)

I davened at Young Israel when I lived there but that will probably be more modern than what you are used to (even though they have a proper mechitza).

Let me know if you wanted to go there for a Shabbos to check it out. I have a great friend there who is the biggest ba'alas chessed I have ever met. Her home is an "open-house" policy. They NEVER lock their door/24-7 so guests can come and go. They usually have anywhere between 10-35 guests for each Shabbos/Yom Yov meal. They never know how many to expect so they cook for about 40! Their Shabbos table just keeps lengthening... it's so beautiful there!!! They have 5 married children (even though she looks about lte 30's - SERIOUSLY!! And acts it too... Wink
They have 5 guest rooms so people can stay over. They live near the hospitals (10 minute walk) so people who have family in the hospitals over Shabbos can eat/sleep by them. They are about a 15-20 minute walk to shul.

Let me know if you are interested...
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 2:43 pm
Detroit. Look into Dovid Ben Nuchim/Aish Kodesh area.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 3:21 pm
Chicago has a full service heimish/yeshivish community, not a particularly chassidish one (there are probably around 2 dozen shtreimlach in town). There is a "chassidish" cheder for boys, but it is primarily chassidish in hanahala and somewhat in it's derech, but not in it's student/parent body.

Let me know if you want more info.

It's pretty hard to find a true non-NY area chassidish community in the US (some in Canada). There are some other posts on this subject; you might want to search for them for more info.

Tova

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 3:22 pm
Milwaukee?

yaeli83

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 5:25 pm
minneapolis! or milwaukee
you can om me if you want info on either

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 6:11 pm
michigan!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 6:31 pm
op here:
thank u all for your answers! milwaukee wouldn't work for personal reasons; we actually have family in chicago- not sure if I want to move there or not....
Also, I'm not looking to be a pioneer- in other words, I need a proper community w/ the conveniences like prepared food (for those crazy days), stores w/ tznius clothing,etc.
Do communities like michigan have those amenities?
Can you tell me more about boston- what is the school like? shopping situation? what housing options are available, etc...
Also, right now DH is in a new job in manhattan- is there such a community w/in traveling distance of manhattan so he doenst' have to job hunt again? or is that a pipe dream?

In the kitchen

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
op here:
thank u all for your answers! milwaukee wouldn't work for personal reasons; we actually have family in chicago- not sure if I want to move there or not....
Also, I'm not looking to be a pioneer- in other words, I need a proper community w/ the conveniences like prepared food (for those crazy days), stores w/ tznius clothing,etc.
Do communities like michigan have those amenities?
Can you tell me more about boston- what is the school like? shopping situation? what housing options are available, etc...
Also, right now DH is in a new job in manhattan- is there such a community w/in traveling distance of manhattan so he doenst' have to job hunt again? or is that a pipe dream?

About the clothign, I always have found nice tznius clothing at JC Penny, Macy's etc...any big store just look around. I found plenty of skirts without slits and shirts covering neckbone etc...and it turned out cheaper than buying a shirt and shell at the heimishe stores....but when you live in the frum area you have to wear exactly what everyone else is wearing or you will stick out so then you can't shop at the places I mentioned. If you live out of town you shouldn't have to be a carbon copy of the rest of the people...oh and for the kids (if you have now) children's place and carters are the best of course Smile and those aren't heimishe companies.
b'hatzlacha!

lst

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 3:56 pm
I don't know much about all these communities, but I do know that Michigan is a state.
OP- someone suggested Detroit, which is a city in Michigan.

GingerSpice

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 9:29 pm
Baltimore?

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 9:41 pm
How far do you want to go? There are much closer frum non-chasidish communities to NY than Atlanta.
Passaic (NJ), Willowbrook (staten Island), Bayswater (Queens), even Albany comes to mind.

Grandmama

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 9:48 pm
How about North Miami Beach?
Or Houston Texas?
Or Los Angeles?
Not exactly a drive from Manhattan, though. A good chasidish community is in Seagate, right here in Brooklyn, but there is no shopping or schools.

lostIma

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 9:52 pm
Seagate? its in Brooklyn N.Y and its a great loacation and great community. Only"down" side is you do need a car! there is bus service to get to the train to BP or Flatbush .... They do also provide transportation to BP a few times a day

lostIma

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 9:53 pm
btw im mentioning Seagate because I live there and love it!

amother

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 10:07 pm
I was also going to suggest Baltimore...wonderful community, with a sprinkling of chassidish people too - there's a chassidishe shtibel as well as a Lubavitch community...good Frum schools, lots of stores and housing is a dream compared to Brooklyn, although it is starting to go up...

thatgirl

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 10:12 pm
Michigan has a big kosher store and a few non kosher stores that carry a lot of kosher items. One non kosher store has a kosher carry out restarurant inside. We have a few nice restaurants here also.. fleishig and milchig.
We have a store that sells all tznius clothing as well as ppl who sell clothing from their home. Most stores here sell tznius clothing as well.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 10:20 pm
op here:
north miami beach sounds perfect for us, but I know there is a high crime rate there, and since I'm already more of an anxious person I think living there will only increase my anxiety.
someone mentioned seagate- but said there are no schools, what do the kids do there for schooling?
btw, mama bear- we are not davka looking for a not chasidish place, but it is very hard to find an out of town chassidish place that is warm and accepting of non cookie cutter ppl, so we're willing to go somewhere that is heimish as opposed to chassidish.
can someone tell me more about LA and boston?
shuls, schools, job options, houseing etc. in those places... also, what is air quality like in LA? I recall reading somwerhe that it is bad for ppl w/ asthma which we suffer from... is that the case?

amother

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 10:26 pm
The Boston schools that you would be comfortable with:
elementary
Torah Academy - boys and girls in separate buildings
or New England Hebrew Academy - run by Lubavitch but mixed student population - boys and girls in separate wings of the building
High school - Bais Yaakov and there is a Mesivta for boys, not sure of the official name

Food - there is one kosher grocery, with some take out, plus whatever you find in the regular supermarkets
pizza shop, Chinese for hectic days Smile

Housing is not cheap

Grandmama

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 10:35 pm
The air quality in NMB is very good, and many people move there due to health reasons.
Still the schools available are more Lubavitch or BY to more modern types, not really chasidish, although there are Lubavitch shuls and one chasidish shul.
Seagate people go by bus to any school in Flatbush or Boro Park, or elswhere.
LA may have a lot of smog, but so does NY.
Your best bet would be to visit for a week or a Shabbos and see if the places are of interest to you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating