Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What to do?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 1:47 pm
I would describe myself as "modern yeshivish". I teach in a very MO school, one that, for many reasons, I would not send my kids to. However, those reasons aren't really apparent before 1st grade or so. My oldest is turning 3 and ready to start school this fall. The school I teach at offers free schooling for their teachers' kids. I am tempted to send my son (and siblings when old enough) just through kindergarten and then switch to one of the more hashkafically appropriate schools. We could save ourselves thousands of dollars doing this, money that could be saved for tuition down the line.

My question is, would we then be looked at askance when we try to make the switch? It's hard enough to switch schools in general, when you haven't been with them from the start- do you think a typical "open-minded" yeshivish school will have a problem taking someone who went to a more modern school when they were very little? Should we just suck it up and pass up this huge savings opportunity? I really don't want to, but worry that some people might give us trouble over it.

cm

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 1:53 pm
Can you ask someone with ties to the school you would like to use in the future? In my community, it is very common for kids to switch from one school to another, including to a "RW-type" school from a more modern environment, but from Imamother I get the idea that this might not be universal.

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 4:18 pm
I would hope that any school you switch him to would understand why you sent to the first school. I would tell them exactly why you did send there. and honestly, I would have doubts sending to a school so closed minded that they would judge your child based on where he went to preschool.
unless the second school fills up real fast and only saves spots in K for the pre K students, that's a different story.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 6:24 am
I would say, from reading Imamother, that it depends where.

I think you wouldn't want a school not understanding it, anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics