Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
First child going to school -Advice needed!

MrsDash

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 1:16 pm
My 5 year old will be starting kindergarten this fall. (Kindergarten over there is the class just before grade 1) I'm assuming they are going to send me a school supplies list, but I'm curious about the stuff that will not be on the list.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I'll need to buy? Clothes, supplies that are not usually listed, and other miscellaneous school items? I'm absolutely clueless. I have never sent her to any other school program. This will be her first ever.

Thanks!

(It may sound like I'm preparing a bit early, but we will be moving over 700 miles away in the summer. I'll be starting school as well. Basically, a lot will be going on till kindergarten begins. I want to know her things are taken care of. That I'm not forgetting anything. Can you tell I'm a nervous mother?? Very Happy )

P.S. Any other advice, and tips will be MUCH appreciated.

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 1:26 pm
yoshi wrote:
My 5 year old will be starting kindergarten this fall. (Kindergarten over there is the class just before grade 1) I'm assuming they are going to send me a school supplies list, but I'm curious about the stuff that will not be on the list.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I'll need to buy? Clothes, supplies that are not usually listed, and other miscellaneous school items? I'm absolutely clueless. I have never sent her to any other school program. This will be her first ever.

Thanks!

(It may sound like I'm preparing a bit early, but we will be moving over 700 miles away in the summer. I'll be starting school as well. Basically, a lot will be going on till kindergarten begins. I want to know her things are taken care of. That I'm not forgetting anything. Can you tell I'm a nervous mother?? Very Happy )

P.S. Any other advice, and tips will be MUCH appreciated.

I'll give you advice that is exactly the opposite of what you want to hear.

Buy as little as possible. You don't know the school or the kids. It may be that the school dress code says 3/4 sleeves OK, but "everyone" knows that the girls all wear long sleeves. Or vice versa. Or that every girl wears sneakers instead of shoes. Or whatever else the little quirks.

See if you can get a supply list, though, and then keep an eye out for Staples sales. Starting around August, they have loss leaders every week, so you can pick up Crayola crayons for a dime, or pencils for a penny a piece. I always buy lots extra to keep at home, and also donate bags of stuff to underprivileged kids (and can look incredibly generous for $2).

And good luck with the move.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 1:52 pm
You need regular clothes if there is no uniform there. You have to know what type of school it is and if they allow certain kind of clothing only. Also, about school supplies the might ask for crayons, tissues, smock....you can always get those things in walmart/target in july.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 10:04 pm
Thanks for the replies!

I didn't think about a dress code. Never even crossed my mind. Do I ask the school directly or speak to other parents who send their kids to the school? The school is officially orthodox, but they have kids from all walks of life. (I think as long as their mother is jewish they can attend.)

As for school supplies, I LOVE the sales idea! I'll keep that in mind, any time I'm out, and see something that will be needed for school.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:22 am
The best thing is if you can find a mother of another kid in the school to talk to. That will give you the ins and outs that no one states officially.

DD is an American living in an Israeli Chareidi neighborhood and she always says she could have never survived her daughters' school system without the advice of a neighbor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children