Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What's growing in your garden?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 6:30 pm
I can't find any forum that deals with gardening but assume it fits here.
Would you mind sharing what plants/flowers/veggies/fruits you're growing?

I need a major, major overhaul on our garden, which has been neglected while we were doing up our house...
Aside from perennials, we have seedlings growing for sunflowers, tomatoes (both kids projects). Leftover horseradish root took roots well so ready to be planted (has anyone done it?). DH wants to have two kinds of fruits-bearing trees so he can do berachot ha illanot. (We're thinking an apple tree and something else--cherries?) I'd like to have rosemary and lavendar, maybe hydrangea in the front garden.

granolamom

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 6:43 pm
well, right now we have apple, pear, plum and fig trees, strawberries, parsley and oregano.
I'm behind schedule this year and havent really started my garden yet, but last year we grew celeriac, lettuce, dill, parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, string beans and sugar snap peas, bell peppers and three types of hot peppers. oh, and basil and mint. I think that's it.
we also have lilacs, daffodils (gone now) and tulips for cutting. I planted hydrangeas but they disappeared somehow.

iirc, be careful with the horseradish, I think its invasive. you might want to keep it in a container.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 7:05 pm
Well my tulips are currently dieing. I have some hostas (sp?) growing.
I haven't started our summer garden yet but I plan on:
lots and lots of cherry and grape tomatoes
tomatoes
cucumbers
green peppers
green beans
zuchhini
eggplant
Anything else that looks fun when we go to buy our plants.

happy mom1

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 7:49 pm
Oh my, you people have me drooling. How I wish to have a garden.
I guess the only thing I help grow are my children...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 7:54 pm
I'm drooling too! I've been a hobby gardener for a handful of years, and for various reasons am taking a break from it this year.

Here's some photos of my kids picking the first tomato and cucumber a few years ago!

http://www.raisingsmallsouls.c......html

spring13

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 7:57 pm
I havent planted yet (because it rained all Sunday...) but I'm planning to put in cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, basil, and marigolds to help with the bugs. I have a pretty small plot.

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 8:02 pm
Only what ever came back since last year, so far.

In the herb garden:
Oregano, rosemary, sage, lavendar. The orgeano looks really thick. Some scallions I planted last year but did not grow until now.

In the vegetable plot (4'x4') volunteers:
tomatoes, probably mostly cherry or grape size
some kind of squash or pumpkin
2 mystery plants- maybe pokeberry weeds
1 sunflower that my DD brought home from school.

most of the perenial flowers are coming back, but my lilac did not bloom--not sure why

did re-start the compost heap though. yom tov cooking was a boost for that!

SingALong

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 8:03 pm
newbie gardener here:
I planted with my kids
assorted wildflower seeds, died over pesach, we weren't around to water it
cherry tomato seeds, which also died same reason as above.
colorful carrots
sugar snap peas
other assorted flower seeds, doing ok
summer squash

I bought new cherry tomato plants and re-potted them, and also planted beefsteak tomato seeds.
I bought 2 pink peony plants to plant into the garden, still in pots though
I also bought two Rhododendron plants that I repotted into 2 matching urn planters that I keep on my front porch.
all my vegetable plants and flower seed plants are in pots since I go away for the summer and I need to take them with to care for them during the summer.

granolamom

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 11:00 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:

most of the perenial flowers are coming back, but my lilac did not bloom--not sure why

did re-start the compost heap though. yom tov cooking was a boost for that!

our lilac used to bloom only every other year. I'm better at deadheading now, so on the 'off year' it blooms a bit. not as much as the other year but better than nothing.

drooling over your compost......my dh bought me a compost tumbler last summer, we filled it up and have been tumbling but I checked on it before pesach and its still mostly banana peels and newspaper. smells like soil though...
I was hoping to use the compost now and refill the tumbler. oh well. maybe next year.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:07 am
I do the garden more for my kids then for produce. my soil is really bad. It looks like a beach and I don't the patience, money, or time to fix it. I do compost but don't get enough to really make a difference.
I think the planting, watching it grow, and harvesting is a great learning experience for my kids, but I don't really get enough to make a difference in my weekly produce bill. And we plant a lot.

neverbored

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:19 am
What garden? Where garden? Wink

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:30 am
I'm a container gardener - my balcony and the roof of my building have pots galore! It's too soon to plant in my area, but I can certainly plan.

So I'll be having several varieties of tomatoes (San Marzano, beefsteak, a few different coloured cherry tomatoes), herbs including several varieties of basil and rosemary, some mesclun salad greens, Kirby cukes, and candy-cane beets. We also plant cherry tomatoes and cukes at work, as well as a flower garden. This year, we're adding dahlias, wildflowers which will hopefully reseed, and I'd like to put in a lilac tree as well.

I can't wait for the fun of actually getting plants into the ground.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:09 am
We just started a container garden with grape tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, cilantro (for the buggies) and something else called jewel mix nasturtium.
This is all my husband's doing. I really know nothing about it!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:01 pm
My parents have a garden:

pear tree
roses
potatoes
onions
strawberries
raspberries
tomatoes
lily of the valley

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:11 pm
I am actually going today to get the seeds. I want to plant tomatoes, peppers, and something else-either zuccini or cucumbers.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:54 pm
Mangoes
Papaya
Avocados

(But I think our Mango tree is on strike this year... she looks kind of droopy and I haven't seen a single fruit yet...)

I plan on planting a herb garden at some point...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics