Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kids' summer footwear in US

eyima

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 1:37 pm
We live in a chareidi community in EY where the girls and boys wear saandals in the summer with their tights/socks. I am slowly starting to get used to the look.
We will be visiting the US this summer, and I was wondering if you all could tell me what kids wear on their feat in the yeshivish communities in the US during the summer.
Thanks in advance

brazilianmommy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 1:45 pm
I love stride rite ,I think they have very cute shoes
heres the link
http://www.striderite.com/stor...../home

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:03 pm
Sandals without socks
crocs with or without socks
sneakers with socks
toms with or without socks
loafers for shabbos with or without socks

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:10 pm
In Lakewood the kids wear socks with sneakers or crocs. Haven't really seen sandals.

On Shabbos they wear Shabbos shoes, with socks for younger kids and nude/honey sheers for older kids.

eyima

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:10 pm
I guess my real question was....My kids will be wearing tights (girls) and socks (boys). I am not going to change that....so with that in mind, what is the best summer shoe for them? Can I keep them in their israeli sandals, or will that look odd?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:13 pm
eyima wrote:
I guess my real question was....My kids will be wearing tights (girls) and socks (boys). I am not going to change that....so with that in mind, what is the best summer shoe for them? Can I keep them in their israeli sandals, or will that look odd?

It will look odd. I remember an Israeli neighbor of ours, when they first moved to Lakewood the kids wore sandals. No one else wears that here.

ray family

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:44 pm
it will look strange (hey it still looks strange to me and I live in Israel and my kids-chose to- do it as well)
I would put them in sneakers.
if they want to wear their socks and sandals then I wouldn't push it.
my family thought my daughter was a freak. after a week they stopped noticing.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 3:26 pm
Chayalle wrote:
eyima wrote:

It will look odd. I remember an Israeli neighbor of ours, when they first moved to Lakewood the kids wore sandals. No one else wears that here.

Kids in Lakewood don't wear sandals?! Why?

Faigy86

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 3:29 pm
StrawberrySmoothie wrote:
Chayalle wrote:
eyima wrote:

I don't know if there is a reason, it just isn't in style.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 3:30 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
Chayalle wrote:
eyima wrote:

I don't know if there is a reason, it just isn't in style.

I guess Lakewood has its own style. I dress my child very cute and trendy and spend a lot on shoes and we buy sandals every summer.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 3:31 pm
Who cares what everybody wears. I live in Boro Park and my daughter wears salt water sandals every summer. As soon as she turned 3 she started wearing them with socks. I don't care less what everybody else is wearing they are much cooler and less sweaty for the foot.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 3:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:
eyima wrote:

I dunno. Maybe because the kids wear socks, and it's not in style to wear socks with sandals. They wear socks with sneakers, and some also with crocs. I've never seen socks and sandals here.

ETA: The chassidish or more right wing people here who don't wear socks, wear tights with sneakers. I have chassidish neighbors and I've never seen them wearing sandals.

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:44 pm
where I live I only see older babies under 3-4 wearing sandles. I will be putting my girl on sandles with socks because its cooler and she request it.Hey does anyone want to help me bring it back in style. I don't see any reason why its out of style in the Jewish communities in New York and New Jersey when the rest of the world wears it, nicer looking sandles of course. Just like I see woman p wearing nice sneakers instead of flats which would not be acceptable to them a year ago

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 12 2017, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:22 pm
funmother wrote:
where I live I only see older babies under 3-4 wearing sandles. I will be putting my girl on sandles with socks because its cooler and she request it.Hey does anyone want to help me bring it back in style. I don't see any reason why its out of style in the Jewish communities in New York and New Jersey when the rest of the world wears it, nicer looking sandles of course. Just like I see woman p wearing nice sneakers instead of flats which would not be acceptable to them a year ago

Sandals with socks have been seen on the runway in recent years. Then again, so was this monstrosity:

Otherwise, sandals with socks are considered by many -- most? -- people to be an abomination. If you want to cover your feet, do so. If you want to expose your feet, do so. But socks and sandals? No.

ETA -- 2015 Jezebel article on the topic: http://jezebel.com/a-fool-proo.....40516

That said, do what you want. But don't pretend that the "rest of the world" wears socks with sandals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics