Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My 7 yr old ds asked for a bottle- help!

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 8:40 pm
my son is very mature and super smart, but tonight he asked for a bottle in bed! he hasn't had a bottle since he was like a yr old.... I thought he was joking but he kept asking for it, so I finally gave him a tiny one w/ a drop of water. DH was very upset, so I took it away after a few mins.
why would a kid do that? could it be a sign of some issue, or just wanting to be silly? should I worry?
thanks!

precious

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:20 pm
did you ask him why?

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:35 pm
yes he just said bec he wants one....

chanahlady

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:58 pm
I remember doing that around 9 years old or so. I don't remember why I wanted it. My mom was disgusted, but she let me have it for a little. I lost interest after a day or two.

Bella:D

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 10:02 pm
Do you have a new baby on the way or one who was born recently?

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 10:15 pm
Any new siblings or major changes in his life? I know some older kids who want to try it when they see how much the younger ones enjoy it. The fascination usually just last a couple of days. I wouldn't make a big deal about it at all.

shirachadasha

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 10:33 pm
Try offering a cup with a regular drinking straw.

yksraya

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 10:45 pm
My dd did it once. I laughed it off and made her laugh along at the "funny" thing she just said. she got the massage and took a cup of juice instead.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 11:14 pm
I remember asking for a bottle once at that age, although I don't remember why I wanted it. I don't think there was any special reason. My sisters made a fuss about it being wrong, but my father said big deal and gave it to me. I realized it was too much work to suck and I tossed it after a minute. I'm fine today (I think Wink )

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 11:49 pm
no, my baby is already 9 months old and he never mentioned such a thing before... I guess I'll see if it lasts or not.
thanks e/o for calming me down!

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 5:29 am
I would also say just give it, and he'll see it's too much effort. Older children and adults suck much harder than babies, which actually makes the liquid come out slower - ever did one of those camp races where you have to drink from a bottle? It's painfully frustrating and you suck so hard and get nothing from it. Your baby may have something to do with his request, and if you deny him he'll just become more desperate/babyish, but this way you give him what he wants and he will quickly give it up by himself. Perhaps you also need to give him something to reinforce how big he is and how proud you are of him (but not how much responsibility he has).

bonny

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 6:46 am
Interesting... my 7 year old also wants a bottle. I didn't dawn on me to worry about her. She's a kid! I don't necessarily give it to her but... I think that sometimes we over-read into things. Calm down, Mom.
(Unless you know that there's something to worry about... like emotional stuff going on in the family... or your own history... or shalom bayis issues that might affect the children... and if yes, focus on the real issue... )

spring13

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 9:12 am
Get him one of these. He'll actually be able to use it Smile

He's probably just being curious, or he's been getting thirsty at night. I wouldn't stress.

carmelita

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 10:17 am
My DD used a pacifier for a few days when she was about 6. She thought it was funny and then lost interest like a million other toys around the house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children