Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Nice lunch for a postpartum mom?

sunny90

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:31 am
We have neighbors who just had a baby at 29 weeks. The mom has been on bedrest for the past few months so the father has been handling the kids, dinner etc.
I offered to make a meal (through my husband) but the father said he's been doing it for the past few months and doesn't really need any help. His wife came home yesterday.
I was thinking about making a nice hot lunch for the mother today or tomorrow to have before the kids come home from school. Any ideas? Nothing really fancy because I don't know what she likes or doesn't, I just want to show her I care.

hila

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:40 am
If it is for her - make something fancy - like smoked salmon bagels (OK fancy by Israeli standards) and soup and salad

If it is for teh kids - soup, salad, and hotdogs and chips.

LisaS

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:45 am
Soup is filling and healthy. If the weather isn't too hot I'd send over a big pot of soup, like vege, lentil, etc.

If you want to do more of a standard israeli lunch then chicken bottoms with white rice/potatoes/ptitim and a salad or cooked vege.

I am sure it will be nice for the dad to have a break of preparing a meal. Nice of you to offer!

sunny90

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:47 am
Thanks Hila! That's actually a great idea! Do you think it would look okay if I got her a nice sandwich from Holy Bagel?
It's for her, not the kids. I want her to enjoy something a bit nicer.

hila

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:51 am
I took my ddil and ds a couple of Holy Bagel sandwiches a few hours after my dgs (now 2 ) was born. they still talk about how great that was and how starving they were at the time!

sunny90

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:55 am
Thanks! :-) I'll do that.

sunny90

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 3:58 am
Lisa, the weather is pretty hot. And I don't actually have chicken to cook today!
Thanks for the idea though.

AZmom09

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 4:40 am
I like making pancakes/ breakfast type food. A lot of the time new mothers just eat whatever is around so eating a proper breakfast really is nice.
Also you can make a greek salad, garlic bread, tuna croquets..

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 8:21 am
just for the record....after dc#3 was born someone offered to make arrange dinners for us & dh told them we didn't need it cuz I stocked the freezer! I quickly called the lady & told her we would appreciate the meals & tried to explain to dh that the food in the freezer was for after we don't get dinner sent anymore.

Raizle

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 8:40 am
Don't OFFER to make meals for post partum families.
just TELL them you are making them and ask when would be a good time to drop it off.

some people don't know how to accept help even when they need it.
sometimes even when one is managing that's all it is ...just managing. they think that because they are getting by it's not fair to impose on others

I'd say a guy in his position probably really needs the help.

AZmom09

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 9:35 am
I agree too, I would still send them food. Someone in my neighborhood recently had a baby and before I even asked them I had made pancakes and a baked ziti. I went over to the house and I gave them the pancakes (or actually gave it to one of the kids to give to his mother). Then later on I saw her husband and asked about sending over lunch (the ziti I had already made) and he told me no, they were fine... SO it was awkward to send it to them in the end. I ended up giving it to another neighbor that needed it, but later the woman came to me and told me how much she enjoyed the pancakes and how good it was for her to have.
So moral of the story is- most likely, they need it and appreciate it. I wish I wouldnt have asked.
And even if people do freeze meals, they can use that at other times when noone else is sending them food.

So send, if you can Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics